[jitsi-users] How can I switch between accounts?

Jitsi 2.8.5426

How can I switch between accounts? I have 2 asterisk extensions, x123 and x456. Each extension is treated as an account by jitsi.

Accounts seem to be active more or less randomly - sometimes I'm working with x123 and sometimes x456. I don't seem to have any control over which account is active, I suspect it has to do with which account happens to register first, but that's just a wild guess. (Please note that "active" is different from "online", both accounts are online, but only one is actively being worked with by me.)

I want to know how to specify and change which account/extension is active so (for one example) I can add (and view) contacts to/from the proper account. Thank you in advance.

- A

How can I switch between accounts? I have 2 asterisk extensions, x123
and x456. Each extension is treated as an account by jitsi.

Accounts seem to be active more or less randomly - sometimes I'm working
with x123 and sometimes x456. I don't seem to have any control over
which account is active, I suspect it has to do with which account
happens to register first, but that's just a wild guess. (Please note
that "active" is different from "online", both accounts are online, but
only one is actively being worked with by me.)

I want to know how to specify and change which account/extension is
active so (for one example) I can add (and view) contacts to/from the
proper account. Thank you in advance.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve. If you add a contact, you can select to which account it will belong. You can individually go online/offline with an account and you can select with which account to call a contact.

The contactlist always shows all contacts from all accounts, with the option to hide offline contacts. You could also merge contacts from different accounts into meta-contacts.

If you need a visual representation in the contactlist to see which contact belongs to which account, then your only option is to create groups and sort the contacts into them.

- A

Ingo

Thank you for your response!

At the top, under the menu - next to the spot for a profile pic or avatar - it says 123: online with a dropdown menu where you can set global status and change each individual account to online/offline and other statuses.

If I "go offline" with that account through said drop down menu, then it still shows 123:online as what I guess is the "global status" - not that I understand what that means nor its purpose. Changing the global status to offline does indeed make that line change to 123:offline, but to me, I'm still working with the 123 account (which I call the active account), because that status line doesn't change to 456:online and I can only guess that I might in fact be using the 456 account - there's no visual confirmation like 456:online. (Yes, the individual account in the dropdown shows it as online and 123 is offline, but that's not the same as seeing it in the global status which I've assumed is the active account.)

That "global status" line only shows one account and it's either offline or online... but once it decides which account it's going to display, that's the only account ever displayed unless I restart jitsi and then maybe it might display the other account's "global status". The account it displays seems to be random.

Further, even if it does work as you state (i.e. "/You can individually go online/offline with an account/" it's not a good solution for me because then I have to take the account offline - and that means if a call comes in at that time I miss the call.

Also, I'm not entirely positive the contact list works as you say. That may be the intent, but I've noticed that contacts seem to appear and disappear from time to time (these are all POTS numbers, not "chat buddies" or SIP accounts so there is no online/offline for them). I can't put my finger on it as I don't have my entire contact list memorized, but I'm pretty sure certain contacts/numbers I added are no longer there - hence the interest in switching accounts so I can see/confirm/copy/utilize the missing contacts.

Thank you

- A

···

On 01/05/2017 04:31 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

How can I switch between accounts? I have 2 asterisk extensions, x123
and x456. Each extension is treated as an account by jitsi.

Accounts seem to be active more or less randomly - sometimes I'm working
with x123 and sometimes x456. I don't seem to have any control over
which account is active, I suspect it has to do with which account
happens to register first, but that's just a wild guess. (Please note
that "active" is different from "online", both accounts are online, but
only one is actively being worked with by me.)

I want to know how to specify and change which account/extension is
active so (for one example) I can add (and view) contacts to/from the
proper account. Thank you in advance.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve. If you add a contact, you can select to which account it will belong. You can individually go online/offline with an account and you can select with which account to call a contact.

The contactlist always shows all contacts from all accounts, with the option to hide offline contacts. You could also merge contacts from different accounts into meta-contacts.

If you need a visual representation in the contactlist to see which contact belongs to which account, then your only option is to create groups and sort the contacts into them.

- A

Ingo

At the top, under the menu - next to the spot for a profile pic or avatar -
it says 123: online with a dropdown menu where you can set global status and
change each individual account to online/offline and other statuses.

It's rather difficult to decide what to show there when multiple accounts are online. Usually it's random. I agree that it should show the online account if there's only one. Not sure if that ever worked. I'm more inclined to completely removing the name there instead of attempting to fix something that can't be properly solved.

If I "go offline" with that account through said drop down menu, then it
still shows 123:online as what I guess is the "global status" - not that I
understand what that means nor its purpose. Changing the global status to
offline does indeed make that line change to 123:offline, but to me, I'm
still working with the 123 account (which I call the active account), because
that status line doesn't change to 456:online and I can only guess that I
might in fact be using the 456 account - there's no visual confirmation like
456:online. (Yes, the individual account in the dropdown shows it as online
and 123 is offline, but that's not the same as seeing it in the global status
which I've assumed is the active account.)

That "global status" line only shows one account and it's either offline or
online... but once it decides which account it's going to display, that's the
only account ever displayed unless I restart jitsi and then maybe it might
display the other account's "global status". The account it displays seems
to be random.

Further, even if it does work as you state (i.e. "You can individually go
online/offline with an account" it's not a good solution for me because then
I have to take the account offline - and that means if a call comes in at
that time I miss the call.

Also, I'm not entirely positive the contact list works as you say. That may
be the intent, but I've noticed that contacts seem to appear and disappear
from time to time (these are all POTS numbers, not "chat buddies" or SIP
accounts so there is no online/offline for them). I can't put my finger on
it as I don't have my entire contact list memorized, but I'm pretty sure
certain contacts/numbers I added are no longer there - hence the interest in
switching accounts so I can see/confirm/copy/utilize the missing contacts.

There are definitely bugs in the contact list and unfortunately it may very well happen that it "forgets" a contact. The exact circumstances have never been found. If you have a way of reliably reproducing a bug, I'd be happy to look at it.

Thank you

Ingo

At the top, under the menu - next to the spot for a profile pic or avatar -
it says 123: online with a dropdown menu where you can set global status and
change each individual account to online/offline and other statuses.

It's rather difficult to decide what to show there when multiple accounts are online. Usually it's random. I agree that it should show the online account if there's only one. Not sure if that ever worked. I'm more inclined to completely removing the name there instead of attempting to fix something that can't be properly solved.

Why not show them all (or at least as many as there's room for)? And/Or let me choose from a dropdown or other way. There is already a dropdown.

I think the real question is - what is the purpose of that "global status"? What information is it intended to provide? Once the purpose is known it makes it easier to determine how to accomplish that goal.

The only use I see for it is similar to how a multi-line phone with button selectors works. You select the line (or extension/account in this case) by pushing the button in or down. The button lights up showing it's the active line. Until you change it by selecting a different button it remains active or you can toggle it.

So to be clear, I see global status as "the account that is currently active"; which is different from being "online". Active is the account I'm working with - the one that I will use for outgoing calls (so I don't have to select it for every call). As the active account you would then see only the contacts associated with that account. For example maybe my phone is x123 and my gf's is x456. I don't want her in my address book and vice versa.

The active line is also technically the line that gets answered when I pick up the phone or click "answer" - although realistically that's not the case because whichever account rings is going to become the active line.

However I would want my active line to only change in the outgoing context. Here's why. Assume I give out x789 to various stores where I purchase products but I normally call from x123 because that's what I want to show up on my callee's caller id. If the active line changes either because it simply rang and/or I answered it, then I have to remember to change it back and I might not which may cause problems with the people I'm calling. So while the connection is in progress the associated account is active. I now realize the term "active" is also a bit misleading. There's "connection in progress" kind of active and the active I've been talking about. Ouch. I suppose a better term might be "selected".

So to summarize:
Global status = Active or Selected account
An active or selected account is the one selected for outgoing calls.
If an account is active then there's no need to select which account to use for calls the way it currently does.

If on the other hand the global status is meant to override individual account's "I'm busy" status messages so that you don't have to set it on each individual account - which I now realize may be the intended goal - then I propose another button that functions as I've outlined here. It's a bit tiresome to have to select an outgoing account for each call.

There are definitely bugs in the contact list and unfortunately it may very well happen that it "forgets" a contact. The exact circumstances have never been found. If you have a way of reliably reproducing a bug, I'd be happy to look at it.

It sounds like contacts are being overwritten for some reason. You might want to walk through the code where it writes the record out and take a close look at your boundary cases as that's usually where people make mistakes. They check for things like x < 1 when it should be x <= 1. Or something similar. I would also suggest versioning the contact list. That itself will do two things. 1) Confirm there is in fact a bug that contacts are being lost and not "it may very well happen" and 2) it saves the contact from being lost forever!

Then you can add code that compares the current version to the prior version and if it finds a difference other than the most recently changed item - you've found not the bug, but an indication of the bugs presence as specified above. That should help you focus in on the bug itself. If you'll add this and other debug code that is focused and limited to this specific issue (i.e. I don't want to end up with a multi hundred MB file most of which won't be helpful), I'd be willing to run it indefinitely.

Speaking of bugs... jitsi tickles a bug in openjdk8 that crashes it. jitsi goes down with it. This has been going on since I installed ubuntu 16.04 back in Sept. It of course seems to happen randomly. What a headache!

In a prior email you wrote:

If you add a contact, you can select to which account it will belong. You can [...] select with which account to call a contact.

The contactlist always shows all contacts from all accounts, with the option to hide offline contacts.

So if the contact list always shows all contacts from all accounts, then what is the purpose of "select to which account it will belong"? Either the contact list needs to restrict what it displays to a particular account or there is no purpose that I can see to assigning contacts to accounts. I think the POTS model needs more attention. My rolodex is unrelated to which account I use to dial the contact. I now believe I understand you're associating contacts with accounts and I am of the opinion this might not be the best way to do it and this discussion highlights why.

POTS (in the sense of phone numbers) does not care about accounts... whereas VOIP is associated with a specific account. I think the problem may be you're treating POTS contacts as VOIP accounts.

Also, I use Thunderbird's address book. While it can find contacts through a jitsi search, I would like to have the option of seeing my entire list so I can pick and choose from it.

Personal Address Book + Collected Addresses.

Please advise on these issues.

Thank you most appreciatively for your efforts!

···

On 01/11/2017 10:39 AM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

[...]
So to summarize:
Global status = Active or Selected account
An active or selected account is the one selected for outgoing calls.
If an account is active then there's no need to select which account to
use for calls the way it currently does.

If on the other hand the global status is meant to override individual
account's "I'm busy" status messages so that you don't have to set it on
each individual account - which I now realize may be the intended goal -

Yes, that's the general idea. E.g. go online/busy/.../offline with all accounts at once. The bubble that shows the status always show the "most" online account, e.g. one account that's away and another that online shows as online.

then I propose another button that functions as I've outlined here.
It's a bit tiresome to have to select an outgoing account for each call.

There are definitely bugs in the contact list and unfortunately it may very
well happen that it "forgets" a contact. The exact circumstances have never
been found. If you have a way of reliably reproducing a bug, I'd be happy to
look at it.

It sounds like contacts are being overwritten for some reason. You
might want to walk through the code where it writes the record out and
take a close look at your boundary cases as that's usually where people
make mistakes. They check for things like x < 1 when it should be x <=
1. Or something similar. I would also suggest versioning the contact
list. That itself will do two things. 1) Confirm there is in fact a
bug that contacts are being lost and not "it may very well happen" and
2) it saves the contact from being lost forever!

Please, feel free to do that.

Speaking of bugs... jitsi tickles a bug in openjdk8 that crashes it.
jitsi goes down with it. This has been going on since I installed
ubuntu 16.04 back in Sept. It of course seems to happen randomly. What
a headache!

This one maybe?
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi/issues/213

In a prior email you wrote:

If you add a contact, you can select to which account it will belong.
You can [...] select with which account to call a contact.

The contactlist always shows all contacts from all accounts, with the

option to hide offline contacts.

So if the contact list always shows all contacts from all accounts, then
what is the purpose of "select to which account it will belong"?

Because Jitsi doesn't just support SIP. An XMPP contact for example isn't stored locally, but on the server. And even SIP has protocols (e.g. XCAP) that provides the list of contacts from a server.

Either
the contact list needs to restrict what it displays to a particular
account or there is no purpose that I can see to assigning contacts to
accounts.

This would be a nice addition as a filter. However, note that the contact list can also combine contacts from multiple accounts. These are so-called meta-contacts. E.g. a phone-number which is associated with a SIP account, and an XMPP-address which is associated with an XMPP account are combined into the contact "Jane Doe". To send a chat message, the XMPP account is used, but to call the SIP account is used.

I think the POTS model needs more attention. My rolodex is
unrelated to which account I use to dial the contact.

Sure, but then you still need to push the right button on the hardphone to select your outgoing line.

I now believe I
understand you're associating contacts with accounts and I am of the
opinion this might not be the best way to do it and this discussion
highlights why.

POTS (in the sense of phone numbers) does not care about accounts...
whereas VOIP is associated with a specific account. I think the problem
may be you're treating POTS contacts as VOIP accounts.

Also, I use Thunderbird's address book. While it can find contacts
through a jitsi search, I would like to have the option of seeing my
entire list so I can pick and choose from it.

I've seen Thunderbird address books with 10'000+ contacts. It would be nonsense to show them all as a list in Jitsi. If you want to browse them, use Thunderbird - that's what it's made for.
It also doesn't fit how external contacts are loaded in general: an LDAP server cannot simply be displayed. A large corporate directory can easily contain 50'000+ contacts too, and you can't enumerate them, only search for them.

Personal Address Book + Collected Addresses.

Please advise on these issues.

Thank you most appreciatively for your efforts!

Ingo