[jitsi-users] Feature Request


#1

As mentioned in the other thread there some things which could be improved.

I for myself would like to set an alias for any contact, including myself.
I do not want to read xxxxxxxx@icq.com (where xxx is my icq number) in the
chat window. I would like my_own_alias there displayed.

The activated OTR icon is in the same greyshade as the deactivated, so it
gives not much visual feedback. Could the lock be painted yellow if OTR is
enabled?

Could the shared secret and challange/ response key verifcation for OTR be
implemented (prefered in an pidgin compatible way)

Regards
Carsten


#2

Hey Carsten,

As mentioned in the other thread there some things which could be improved.

I for myself would like to set an alias for any contact, including
myself. I do not want to read xxxxxxxx@icq.com <mailto:xxxxxxxx@icq.com>
(where xxx is my icq number) in the chat window. I would like
my_own_alias there displayed.

Have you tried Right Click->Rename Contact ?

The activated OTR icon is in the same greyshade as the deactivated, so
it gives not much visual feedback. Could the lock be painted yellow if
OTR is enabled?

We are currently working on a complete revamp of all the Jitsi graphics.
There will be a new OTR icon soon enough.

Could the shared secret and challange/ response key verifcation for OTR
be implemented (prefered in an pidgin compatible way).

This is not on our (BlueJimp's) immediate roadmap but if anyone else is
interested in working on this, we'd be happy to take a patch.

Otherwise we'd probably also have a look at it at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 05.07.12 21:32, singub+all@gmail.com wrote:


#3

Hey Carsten,

> As mentioned in the other thread there some things which could be
improved.
>
> I for myself would like to set an alias for any contact, including
> myself. I do not want to read xxxxxxxx@icq.com <mailto:xxxxxxxx@icq.com>
> (where xxx is my icq number) in the chat window. I would like
> my_own_alias there displayed.

Have you tried Right Click->Rename Contact ?

Thats not possible for myself. (Although i have myself in the contact list
and there set a custom alias)

> The activated OTR icon is in the same greyshade as the deactivated, so
> it gives not much visual feedback. Could the lock be painted yellow if
> OTR is enabled?

We are currently working on a complete revamp of all the Jitsi graphics.
There will be a new OTR icon soon enough.

Locking forward :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Emil

Thanks for the answer
Carsten

···

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

On 05.07.12 21:32, singub+all@gmail.com wrote:


#4

    Hey Carsten,

    > As mentioned in the other thread there some things which could be
    improved.
    >
    > I for myself would like to set an alias for any contact, including
    > myself. I do not want to read xxxxxxxx@icq.com
    <mailto:xxxxxxxx@icq.com> <mailto:xxxxxxxx@icq.com
    <mailto:xxxxxxxx@icq.com>>
    > (where xxx is my icq number) in the chat window. I would like
    > my_own_alias there displayed.

    Have you tried Right Click->Rename Contact ?

Thats not possible for myself. (Although i have myself in the contact
list and there set a custom alias)

Do you mean that you'd like other people to see your alias rather than
your ICQ number?

This should be the way it is. Jitsi definitely tries to display
nicknames when they are available.

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 05.07.12 22:39, singub+all@gmail.com wrote:

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:
    On 05.07.12 21 <tel:05.07.12%2021>:32, singub+all@gmail.com > <mailto:singub%2Ball@gmail.com> wrote:

    > The activated OTR icon is in the same greyshade as the deactivated, so
    > it gives not much visual feedback. Could the lock be painted yellow if
    > OTR is enabled?

    We are currently working on a complete revamp of all the Jitsi graphics.
    There will be a new OTR icon soon enough.

Locking forward :slight_smile:

    Cheers,
    Emil

Thanks for the answer
Carsten

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#5

> > I for myself would like to set an alias for any contact, including
> > myself. I do not want to read xxxxxxxx@icq.com
> > (where xxx is my icq number) in the chat window. I would like
> > my_own_alias there displayed.
>
> Have you tried Right Click->Rename Contact ?
>
>
> Thats not possible for myself. (Although i have myself in the contact
> list and there set a custom alias)

Do you mean that you'd like other people to see your alias rather than
your ICQ number?

No, in my chat, in the lines i send, i am appear for me as
xxxxxxxxx@icq.comand not as my alias/nickname.

This should be the way it is. Jitsi definitely tries to display
nicknames when they are available.

Cheers,

···

Emil


#6

Aha!

Got it!

Could you please open a ticket for that one?

Thanks,
Emil

···

On 06.07.12 12:38, singub+all@gmail.com wrote:

    > > I for myself would like to set an alias for any contact,
    including
    > > myself. I do not want to read xxxxxxxx@icq.com
    <mailto:xxxxxxxx@icq.com>
    > > (where xxx is my icq number) in the chat window. I would like
    > > my_own_alias there displayed.
    >
    > Have you tried Right Click->Rename Contact ?
    >
    >
    > Thats not possible for myself. (Although i have myself in the contact
    > list and there set a custom alias)

    Do you mean that you'd like other people to see your alias rather than
    your ICQ number?

No, in my chat, in the lines i send, i am appear for me as
xxxxxxxxx@icq.com <mailto:xxxxxxxxx@icq.com> and not as my alias/nickname.

    This should be the way it is. Jitsi definitely tries to display
    nicknames when they are available.
     
    Cheers,
    Emil

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#7

For the record this seems to be an ICQ specific issue.

Shouldn't be there with XMPP for example.

Emil

···

On 06.07.12 12:56, Emil Ivov wrote:

Aha!

Got it!

Could you please open a ticket for that one?

Thanks,
Emil

On 06.07.12 12:38, singub+all@gmail.com wrote:

    > > I for myself would like to set an alias for any contact,
    including
    > > myself. I do not want to read xxxxxxxx@icq.com
    <mailto:xxxxxxxx@icq.com>
    > > (where xxx is my icq number) in the chat window. I would like
    > > my_own_alias there displayed.
    >
    > Have you tried Right Click->Rename Contact ?
    >
    >
    > Thats not possible for myself. (Although i have myself in the contact
    > list and there set a custom alias)

    Do you mean that you'd like other people to see your alias rather than
    your ICQ number?

No, in my chat, in the lines i send, i am appear for me as
xxxxxxxxx@icq.com <mailto:xxxxxxxxx@icq.com> and not as my alias/nickname.

    This should be the way it is. Jitsi definitely tries to display
    nicknames when they are available.
     
    Cheers,
    Emil

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#8

I hope its allowed to reuse my thread. I have new things found which i want
to suggest.

1. There is no way to disable the „xyz is now online”, „xyz is now offline”
Messages that appear if a conversation window is left open.

2. Wenn pidgin sends a linebreak it sends <br> which is not translated by
jitsi but displayed. I am not sure if this count as bug for pidgin or for
jitsi

3. The OTR Plugin in pidgin has a message „You are sending encrypted
messages to xyz who isnt expecting this” if the state of OTR was one and
the contact is now at differnt machine (without OTR). So you have a simple
way to tell if you should refresh or disable OTR.

All three points found with icq.

Regards
Carsten