[jitsi-users] etherpad integation


#1

hello,

this is a nice feature, but there might be a 'small problem':

when clicking on shared document, a new pad will be created and every
participant sees this pad, but when the last participant has left the
conf, there seems to be no way for the ordinary user to access the pad -
a cryptic padname was created, just as if one had created a new pad
without entering a name using etherpad directly. what about naming the
pad using the conf rooms name. could this be accomplisched?

gustav


#2

the requested functionality seems to be easily accomplishable by changing

line 531 in modules/UI/UI.js

from
     Etherpad.init(name);
to
     Etherpad.init(roomNode);

i gave it a try and it worked but i'm unsure if this will have unknown side effects breaking other code.

···

On 10/09/2015 04:14 PM, Gustav Spellauge wrote:

hello,

this is a nice feature, but there might be a 'small problem':

when clicking on shared document, a new pad will be created and every
participant sees this pad, but when the last participant has left the
conf, there seems to be no way for the ordinary user to access the pad -
a cryptic padname was created, just as if one had created a new pad
without entering a name using etherpad directly. what about naming the
pad using the conf rooms name. could this be accomplisched?

gustav

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#3

I think you would also like to add a timestamp for example or some
other unique string, so that you can make a difference between RoomOne
created some time ago and RoomOne being created right now.

Otherwise you can open the pad of a previous conference by just
creating a conference with the same name again. It can be a security
issue, I have to only know the name of the room you have a private
meeting in, to just create it again and be able to see what you shared
in the pad there.

Now, etherpads can be set to expire, but still you have to be sure this
timeout is short enough. Or you can just add a timestamp to the
room/pad name.

···

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:49:50 +0200 g.spellauge wrote:

the requested functionality seems to be easily accomplishable by
changing

line 531 in modules/UI/UI.js

from
    Etherpad.init(name);
to
    Etherpad.init(roomNode);

i gave it a try and it worked but i'm unsure if this will have unknown
side effects breaking other code.

--

Yasen Pramatarov
Lindeas Ltd. https://lindeas.com
'working on GNU/Linux ideas'
Professional Jitsi Meet services


#4

at our site, a new meeting can only be created by an authenticated user
and an etherpad user must be authenticated as well. for this reason your
security concerns are of minor importance to us.

btw: anyone who has an etherpad loginand knows an etherpad name can
open, read and modify this pad. he does not need the jitsi-meet detour.

···

Am 11.10.2015 um 14:40 schrieb Yasen Pramatarov:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:49:50 +0200 g.spellauge wrote:

the requested functionality seems to be easily accomplishable by
changing

line 531 in modules/UI/UI.js

from
    Etherpad.init(name);
to
    Etherpad.init(roomNode);

i gave it a try and it worked but i'm unsure if this will have unknown
side effects breaking other code.

I think you would also like to add a timestamp for example or some
other unique string, so that you can make a difference between RoomOne
created some time ago and RoomOne being created right now.

Otherwise you can open the pad of a previous conference by just
creating a conference with the same name again. It can be a security
issue, I have to only know the name of the room you have a private
meeting in, to just create it again and be able to see what you shared
in the pad there.

Now, etherpads can be set to expire, but still you have to be sure this
timeout is short enough. Or you can just add a timestamp to the
room/pad name.


#5

I see, that's great. You're right, it will work for you with name only.

Still, my concern could be valid for other list readers, it's good to
have in mind that this can be a security issue.

···

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:18:48 +0200 Gustav Spellauge wrote:

at our site, a new meeting can only be created by an authenticated user
and an etherpad user must be authenticated as well. for this reason
your security concerns are of minor importance to us.

btw: anyone who has an etherpad loginand knows an etherpad name can
open, read and modify this pad. he does not need the jitsi-meet detour.

--

Yasen Pramatarov
Lindeas Ltd. https://lindeas.com
'working on GNU/Linux ideas'
Professional Jitsi Meet services


#6

what about adding another config variable e.g. etherpad_name: <- {
random, oomNode }?

···

Am 12.10.2015 um 11:35 schrieb Yasen Pramatarov:

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:18:48 +0200 Gustav Spellauge wrote:

at our site, a new meeting can only be created by an authenticated user
and an etherpad user must be authenticated as well. for this reason
your security concerns are of minor importance to us.

btw: anyone who has an etherpad loginand knows an etherpad name can
open, read and modify this pad. he does not need the jitsi-meet detour.

I see, that's great. You're right, it will work for you with name only.

Still, my concern could be valid for other list readers, it's good to
have in mind that this can be a security issue.