[jitsi-users] directory / addressbook

Hi,

Perhaps a completely noob-question, probably because I might be thinking in the wrong direction...

Firstly, I'm testing with a local xmpp server (ejabberd)
If you have buddies placed on your contact-list, you can make an audio/video call with a single click.
Works very nice and well, when dealing with a small amount of people.

So I made a directory with openldap, and placed several people in it.
If I do a lookup (in that directory) of any of the people who are already on my contact list, I can call them directly.

Q1:
However, when dialing someone for the first time, the other one (the recipant) first has to do something, as I get "waiting for authentication", and my audio/video-buttons are greyed-out, so I cannot call him/her.
Certainly, it cannot be so that everybody I want to call should be added to my contactlist?
Is this a configurable parameter; how to change this?
[this seems to be an XMPP-feature?]

Q2:
When adding anybody to your contact list, why should the other person have to accept this?
I did not ask to be added to his list, but that also happens automagically....

Q3:
Instead of not-having-to-accept, might it be an option for "auto-accept"?
Afterall, there is even the possibility to automatically answer a call, so this shouldn't be such an issue...

Hans

···

Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, wordt u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen. De Staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het elektronisch verzenden van berichten.

This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message. The State accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic transmission of messages.

Although I'm definitely not an expert, here's what I think to know.

Hi,

Perhaps a completely noob-question, probably because I might be thinking in the wrong direction...

If you have buddies placed on your contact-list, you can make an audio/video call with a single click.

If I do a lookup (in that directory) of any of the people who are already on my contact list, I can call them directly.

You don't need an openLDAP server with XMPP. Your roster (contactlist)
is part of your XMPP account. You should have a look at SIP which works
more the way you describe.

Q1:
However, when dialing someone for the first time, the other one (the recipant) first has to do something, as I get "waiting for authentication", and my audio/video-buttons are greyed-out, so I cannot call him/her.
Certainly, it cannot be so that everybody I want to call should be added to my contactlist?

That's by design. XMPP is a messenger protocol with presence and not
designed to let you call random other contacts.

Q2:
When adding anybody to your contact list, why should the other person have to accept this?

You can add anyone to your roster but as long as that person doesn't
accept and adds you as well, you cannot see her presence-status and
often (user setting I think) you can't write a message, not to mention
file transfers or calls (btw you can never expect to be able to call or
file transfer anyone since this is totally dependent on the client they
are using.) Not so with SIP which is primarily designed to make calls
every(?) SIP client can do that.

Q3:
Afterall, there is even the possibility to automatically answer a call, so this shouldn't be such an issue...

Could be a user setting through the client at best.

···

Am 2012-09-14 12:21, schrieb J.Witvliet@mindef.nl:

Hans

Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, wordt u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen. De Staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het elektronisch verzenden van berichten.

This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message. The State accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic transmission of messages.

Hi Martin, comment in-line

···

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:56 AM
To: users@jitsi.java.net
Subject: [jitsi-users] Re: directory / addressbook

Although I'm definitely not an expert, here's what I think to know.

Am 2012-09-14 12:21, schrieb J.Witvliet@mindef.nl:

Hi,

You don't need an openLDAP server with XMPP. Your roster (contactlist)
is part of your XMPP account. You should have a look at SIP which works
more the way you describe.

Indeed, however, when you are dealing with a larger (100k) group of people, you might only know (part of) their name,not their xmpp/sip address. Hence the need of an addressbook.

Q1:

That's by design. XMPP is a messenger protocol with presence and not
designed to let you call random other contacts.

Ok, clear enough.

Q2:

You can add anyone to your roster but as long as that person doesn't
accept and adds you as well, you cannot see her presence-status and
often (user setting I think) you can't write a message, not to mention
file transfers or calls (btw you can never expect to be able to call or
file transfer anyone since this is totally dependent on the client they
are using.) Not so with SIP which is primarily designed to make calls
every(?) SIP client can do that.

Sounds like an advantage to SIP for me.
This is something like: "you have to ask permission to be allowed to phone someone..."

Q3:

Could be a user setting through the client at best.

That looks like another feature request from us :wink:

Thanks for enlighten me....
Hans