[jitsi-users] Choppy audio

When running a video call, the audio for one side gets very choppy after the first few minutes, so much as to make it unintelligible. It can be fixed temporarily by restarting the call or by changing the Audio Out device in the options (eg. to <No Device> and back) but usually comes back again after several minutes. The other side experiences no issues and can hear me fine.

This happens on both the stable and several recent nightlies, in Win7 x64. I have also tried disabling opus in the Encodings tab to see if it was a codec issue. Also tried changing all the Advanced/Opus settings, with no result. Audio system is set to WASAPI. Video quality is excellent and shows no packets discarded.

While choppy:

*Audio info*:
*Media stream transport protocol* : UDP / SRTP (Key exchange protocol: ZRTP AES-CM-128/DH3K)
*Codec / Frequency* : opus / 48000 Hz
*ICE candidate extended type* : host
*Bandwith* : ↓ 33 Kbps ↑ 37 Kbps
*Loss rate* : ↓ 0% ↑ 0%
*Packets decoded with FEC* : 2620
*Packets currently being discarded* : 8%
*Number of discarded packets* : 55843 (0 late, 43302 full, 12235 shrink, 306 reset)
*Adaptive jitter buffer* : enabled
*Jitter buffer* : ~140ms; currently in queue: 10/15 packets
*RTT* : 98 ms
*Jitter* : ↓ 0 ms ↑ 18 ms

After cycling audio devices:

*Audio info*:
*Media stream transport protocol* : UDP / SRTP (Key exchange protocol: ZRTP AES-CM-128/DH3K)
*Codec / Frequency* : opus / 48000 Hz
*ICE candidate extended type* : host
*Bandwith* : ↓ 36 Kbps ↑ 37 Kbps
*Loss rate* : ↓ 0% ↑ 0%
*Packets decoded with FEC* : 2622
*Packets currently being discarded* : 0%
*Number of discarded packets* : 57060 (0 late, 44337 full, 12417 shrink, 306 reset)
*Adaptive jitter buffer* : enabled
*Jitter buffer* : ~40ms; currently in queue: 2/4 packets
*RTT* : 0 ms
*Jitter* : ↓ 0 ms ↑ 6 ms

···

--

Separately, changing the Audio Out device while the call is in progress usually mutes my microphone (a completely different device, on USB). Sometimes I can see the mic bar moving but the other side can't hear me; other times the mic bar doesn't move at all. This is fixed by switching Audio Out devices again. I have to repeat this a random number of times before selecting a functional Audio Out device also coincides with the microphone working properly.

Hello,

···

On 11/09/14 23:00, Jan Petykiewicz wrote:

When running a video call, the audio for one side gets very choppy after
the first few minutes, so much as to make it unintelligible. It can be
fixed temporarily by restarting the call or by changing the Audio Out
device in the options (eg. to <No Device> and back) but usually comes
back again after several minutes. The other side experiences no issues
and can hear me fine.

This happens on both the stable and several recent nightlies, in Win7
x64. I have also tried disabling opus in the Encodings tab to see if it
was a codec issue.

I don't have any ideas as to what may be causing this, but just to clarify: does the problem appear with another codec or not?

Regards,
Boris