[jitsi-users] Chat over SIP doesn't work


#1

Hi,

Could somebody tell me why chat is not working from one Jitsi client to another over SIP? The "Send a Message" option is greyed-out. Is there something I have to enable in the settings?

Thanks!
David


#2

Are you using Asterisk? Your SIP server has to explicitly state that it supports the MESSAGE method. IIRC, Asterisk doesn't do this.

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 14.12.13, 20:00, David Slachta wrote:

Hi,

Could somebody tell me why chat is not working from one Jitsi client to
another over SIP? The "Send a Message" option is greyed-out. Is there
something I have to enable in the settings?

--
https://jitsi.org


#3

I'm using a dedicated PBX server. Yeastar MyPBX SOHO. No mention of any "message" method in the manual.

I was able to send messages using different clients just fine. Is there any chance Jitsi would support a different method than MESSAGE?

Thanks!
David

Dne Saturday, December 14, 2013, 8:16:06 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> napsal:

···

On 14.12.13, 20:00, David Slachta wrote:

Hi,

Could somebody tell me why chat is not working from one Jitsi client to
another over SIP? The "Send a Message" option is greyed-out. Is there
something I have to enable in the settings?

Are you using Asterisk? Your SIP server has to explicitly state that it
supports the MESSAGE method. IIRC, Asterisk doesn't do this.

Cheers,
Emil


#4

I'm using a dedicated PBX server. Yeastar MyPBX SOHO. No mention of any
"message" method in the manual.

I was able to send messages using different clients just fine. Is there
any chance Jitsi would support a different method than MESSAGE?

Other clients are probably also using MESSAGE. It's just that the server is most likely not announcing it as a Supported-Method.

I think we had an option that allowed to override this. Damencho, do you remember what it was?

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 14.12.13, 20:27, David Slachta wrote:

Thanks!
David

Dne Saturday, December 14, 2013, 8:16:06 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org
<mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> napsal:

*> On 14.12.13, 20:00, David Slachta wrote:

Hi,

Could somebody tell me why chat is not working from one Jitsi client to
another over SIP? The "Send a Message" option is greyed-out. Is there
something I have to enable in the settings?

Are you using Asterisk? Your SIP server has to explicitly state that it
supports the MESSAGE method. IIRC, Asterisk doesn't do this.

Cheers,
Emil

*

--
https://jitsi.org


#5

You're a Walking Encyclopedia of SIP, Emil. I bow at your wisdom and
knowledge. :slight_smile:

FC

···

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Other clients are probably also using MESSAGE. It's just that the server is
most likely not announcing it as a Supported-Method.


#6

Hey,

···

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

I think we had an option that allowed to override this. Damencho, do you
remember what it was?

No we don't have one. If allow header is missing message method, we
remove it from supported operationsets. We can easily add a property
though.

Regards
damencho


#7

It should be properly identified. Perhaps under a section "Troubleshooting" ?

ie

== [ Troubleshooting ] =======

[ x ] Force SIP Message support

    Some SIP servers do not announce the MESSAGE support,
    despite supporting it. If you check this option, Jitsi will attempt
    to use MESSAGE for chats, despite your configured SIP server
    not explicitelly announcing this support to connected servers.

···

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Damian Minkov <damencho@jitsi.org> wrote:

No we don't have one. If allow header is missing message method, we
remove it from supported operationsets. We can easily add a property
though.

=======================

Just my $0.02 :slight_smile:

FC
--
During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell


#8

sorry I meant "to connected clients".

FC

···

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

to connected servers.


#9

Hi Damian,

That would be great.

It's really good you're programming your software to the correct standards, but making a few advanced options in case the server is not up to the same standards is a good general practice in my opinion.

Thank you!
David

Dne Sunday, December 15, 2013, 2:36:52 PM, Damian Minkov <damencho@jitsi.org> napsal:

···

Hey,

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

I think we had an option that allowed to override this. Damencho, do you
remember what it was?

No we don't have one. If allow header is missing message method, we
remove it from supported operationsets. We can easily add a property
though.

Regards
damencho


#10

It should be properly identified. Perhaps under a section "Troubleshooting" ?

ie

== [ Troubleshooting ] =======

[ x ] Force SIP Message support

    Some SIP servers do not announce the MESSAGE support,
    despite supporting it. If you check this option, Jitsi will attempt
    to use MESSAGE for chats, despite your configured SIP server
    not explicitelly announcing this support to connected servers.

=======================

Just my $0.02 :slight_smile:

FC

I am having the exact same problem, which I reported to the Asterisk
user mailing list
(http://www.spinics.net/lists/asterisk/msg159482.html). I received no
response. I too am interested to see if Jitsi could include the exact
option that you propose. I tested with two other SIP softphone clients
and was able to send SIP messages with the same Asterisk server which
doesn't announce SIP MESSAGE method support. Thanks for considering
adding this option !

DS


#11

Hey DS and David,

an account property has been added for sip protocol accounts and is
ready for tests (FORCE_MESSAGING, check the faq if you need more
details how to enable it).

Fernando thanks for the FAQ suggestion, it has been added, check it out:
https://jitsi.org/faq#sip-force-message

Regards
damencho

···

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM, D Stickney <dstickney@leschoupinous.net> wrote:

It should be properly identified. Perhaps under a section "Troubleshooting" ?

ie

== [ Troubleshooting ] =======

[ x ] Force SIP Message support

    Some SIP servers do not announce the MESSAGE support,
    despite supporting it. If you check this option, Jitsi will attempt
    to use MESSAGE for chats, despite your configured SIP server
    not explicitelly announcing this support to connected servers.

=======================

Just my $0.02 :slight_smile:

FC

I am having the exact same problem, which I reported to the Asterisk
user mailing list
(http://www.spinics.net/lists/asterisk/msg159482.html). I received no
response. I too am interested to see if Jitsi could include the exact
option that you propose. I tested with two other SIP softphone clients
and was able to send SIP messages with the same Asterisk server which
doesn't announce SIP MESSAGE method support. Thanks for considering
adding this option !

DS

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#12

Thanks Fernando, for suggesting this!
Emil

···

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Damian Minkov <damencho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Hey DS and David,

an account property has been added for sip protocol accounts and is
ready for tests (FORCE_MESSAGING, check the faq if you need more
details how to enable it).

Fernando thanks for the FAQ suggestion, it has been added, check it out:
https://jitsi.org/faq#sip-force-message

Regards
damencho

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM, D Stickney > <dstickney@leschoupinous.net> wrote:

It should be properly identified. Perhaps under a section "Troubleshooting" ?

ie

== [ Troubleshooting ] =======

[ x ] Force SIP Message support

    Some SIP servers do not announce the MESSAGE support,
    despite supporting it. If you check this option, Jitsi will attempt
    to use MESSAGE for chats, despite your configured SIP server
    not explicitelly announcing this support to connected servers.

=======================

Just my $0.02 :slight_smile:

FC

I am having the exact same problem, which I reported to the Asterisk
user mailing list
(http://www.spinics.net/lists/asterisk/msg159482.html). I received no
response. I too am interested to see if Jitsi could include the exact
option that you propose. I tested with two other SIP softphone clients
and was able to send SIP messages with the same Asterisk server which
doesn't announce SIP MESSAGE method support. Thanks for considering
adding this option !

DS

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
https://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#13

Hi Damian,

Thanks a lot! Will try it out.

All the best,
David

Dne Monday, December 16, 2013, 3:58:18 PM, Damian Minkov <damencho@jitsi.org> napsal:

···

Hey DS and David,

an account property has been added for sip protocol accounts and is
ready for tests (FORCE_MESSAGING, check the faq if you need more
details how to enable it).

Fernando thanks for the FAQ suggestion, it has been added, check it out:
https://jitsi.org/faq#sip-force-message

Regards
damencho

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM, D Stickney > <dstickney@leschoupinous.net> wrote:

It should be properly identified. Perhaps under a section "Troubleshooting" ?

ie

== [ Troubleshooting ] =======

[ x ] Force SIP Message support

    Some SIP servers do not announce the MESSAGE support,
    despite supporting it. If you check this option, Jitsi will attempt
    to use MESSAGE for chats, despite your configured SIP server
    not explicitelly announcing this support to connected servers.

=======================

Just my $0.02 :slight_smile:

FC

I am having the exact same problem, which I reported to the Asterisk
user mailing list
(http://www.spinics.net/lists/asterisk/msg159482.html). I received no
response. I too am interested to see if Jitsi could include the exact
option that you propose. I tested with two other SIP softphone clients
and was able to send SIP messages with the same Asterisk server which
doesn't announce SIP MESSAGE method support. Thanks for considering
adding this option !

DS

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#14

Le 16/12/2013 15:58, Damian Minkov a �crit :

Hey DS and David,

an account property has been added for sip protocol accounts and is
ready for tests (FORCE_MESSAGING, check the faq if you need more
details how to enable it).

Fernando thanks for the FAQ suggestion, it has been added, check it out:
https://jitsi.org/faq#sip-force-message

Regards
damencho

Hey Damencho,

Thanks for adding this property ! I followed the instructions in the FAQ
and I can confirm that sending text messages works fine for me now.

Jitsi version : 2.3.4988
Asterisk version : 11.2

Thanks a bunch !

DS

···

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM, D Stickney > <dstickney@leschoupinous.net> wrote: