[jitsi-users] Changing audio hardware problems

I'm a real newbie with Jitsi. I'm using the Jitsi client with my own Asterisk 10 server and the SIP protocol. My setup is Opensuse for both the server (11.3) and the client (11.4). Normally, switching between my various audio headsets and the onboard audio output is not a problem. Bluetooth+PulseAudio handles the switch smoothly. I have 3 BT headsets, a Logitech Wireless headset and the onboard audio with output only to speakers. The audio devices are handled with Pulseaudio. PA sees the devices come and go without a problem.

My active device when I set up Jitsi (audio options set to "pulse") to explore SIP URI calling was my Samsung WEP475 BT headset. Using this device I get audio from sites such as the Bing 411 IVR service. Audio is good.

But when the batteries ran down I switched over to another headset, and while I hear the bings and bongs in the new headset as the connection is made and dropped, I do not get any speech audio either in or out. I tried a number of headsets, Logitech, Jabra, Plantronics, all failed even though PA was tracking the changes. But when the Samsung was recharged and put back into service audio speech worked fine again.

Is Jitsi only happy with some types of hardware, or should I be looking in the logs for reasons?

···

--
---
Colin Beckingham
http://www.it4gh.com

Hi Colin,

We are currently doing changes to be able to detect when a new device is plugged on/off and then propose users to change their input/output device if they want to.

Regards,

···

--
Seb

Le 01/01/12 19:29, Colin Beckingham a �crit :

I'm a real newbie with Jitsi. I'm using the Jitsi client with my own Asterisk 10 server and the SIP protocol. My setup is Opensuse for both the server (11.3) and the client (11.4). Normally, switching between my various audio headsets and the onboard audio output is not a problem. Bluetooth+PulseAudio handles the switch smoothly. I have 3 BT headsets, a Logitech Wireless headset and the onboard audio with output only to speakers. The audio devices are handled with Pulseaudio. PA sees the devices come and go without a problem.

My active device when I set up Jitsi (audio options set to "pulse") to explore SIP URI calling was my Samsung WEP475 BT headset. Using this device I get audio from sites such as the Bing 411 IVR service. Audio is good.

But when the batteries ran down I switched over to another headset, and while I hear the bings and bongs in the new headset as the connection is made and dropped, I do not get any speech audio either in or out. I tried a number of headsets, Logitech, Jabra, Plantronics, all failed even though PA was tracking the changes. But when the Samsung was recharged and put back into service audio speech worked fine again.

Is Jitsi only happy with some types of hardware, or should I be looking in the logs for reasons?

Awesome. This is a common wishlist item from the folks in my office.

Aaron

···

On 1/4/2012 12:56 AM, Sebastien Vincent wrote:

Hi Colin,

We are currently doing changes to be able to detect when a new device is plugged on/off and then propose users to change their input/output device if they want to.

Regards,
--
Seb

I also want to throw out there that I managed to modify Jitsi so that it could change input devices on the fly (meaning the middle of a call). I've been distracted the past couple of weeks and so haven't got around to making the changes for the output device. If any of these changes might be helpful to you, I'd be happy to provide the code.

Thanks,
Aaron

···

On 1/4/2012 1:21 PM, Aaron Stover (Celestech) wrote:

Aaron

Hi Colin,

Regards,
--
Seb

Hi Aaron,

Thank you. It would be very interesting to be able to change input/output device "on the fly".

In case you want to share the patches, as specified in [0] you have to sign our contributor agreement [1] and get back it to me (it is ok to simply scan it). Then when we will begin this feature, we will review and integrate them if all works well.

Best regards,

···

--
Seb

[0]http://www.jitsi.org/index.php/Documentation/GettingInvolved
[1]http://bluejimp.com/bca.pdf

Le 04/01/12 21:29, Aaron Stover (Celestech) a �crit :

I also want to throw out there that I managed to modify Jitsi so that it could change input devices on the fly (meaning the middle of a call). I've been distracted the past couple of weeks and so haven't got around to making the changes for the output device. If any of these changes might be helpful to you, I'd be happy to provide the code.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron

Hi Colin,

Regards,
--
Seb

A few comments inline:

Hi Aaron,

Thank you. It would be very interesting to be able to change input/output

device "on the fly".

In case you want to share the patches, as specified in [0] you
have to sign our contributor agreement [1] and get back it to me
(it is ok to simply scan it).

Just to make sure there is no confusion: you are of course free to modify
Jitsi's source code and you don't need to sign anything whatsoever in order
to share your changes (you are actually even required to do so by the LGPL).

The contributor agreement that Seb was referring to is only necessary if
you'd like your code to be considered for inclusion in the trunk of the
Jitsi project itself.

Cheers,
Emil

Then when we will begin this feature, we will
review and integrate them if all works well.

Best regards,
--
Seb

[0]http://www.jitsi.org/index.php/Documentation/GettingInvolved
[1]http://bluejimp.com/bca.pdf

I also want to throw out there that I managed to modify Jitsi so that it

could change input devices on the fly (meaning the middle of a call). I've
been distracted the past couple of weeks and so haven't got around to
making the changes for the output device. If any of these changes might be
helpful to you, I'd be happy to provide the code.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron

Hi Colin,

We are currently doing changes to be able to detect when a new device

is plugged on/off and then propose users to change their input/output
device if they want to.

Regards,
--
Seb

I'm a real newbie with Jitsi. I'm using the Jitsi client with my own

Asterisk 10 server and the SIP protocol. My setup is Opensuse for both the
server (11.3) and the client (11.4). Normally, switching between my various
audio headsets and the onboard audio output is not a problem.
Bluetooth+PulseAudio handles the switch smoothly. I have 3 BT headsets, a
Logitech Wireless headset and the onboard audio with output only to
speakers. The audio devices are handled with Pulseaudio. PA sees the
devices come and go without a problem.

My active device when I set up Jitsi (audio options set to "pulse")

to explore SIP URI calling was my Samsung WEP475 BT headset. Using this
device I get audio from sites such as the Bing 411 IVR service. Audio is
good.

But when the batteries ran down I switched over to another headset,

and while I hear the bings and bongs in the new headset as the connection
is made and dropped, I do not get any speech audio either in or out. I
tried a number of headsets, Logitech, Jabra, Plantronics, all failed even
though PA was tracking the changes. But when the Samsung was recharged and
put back into service audio speech worked fine again.

Is Jitsi only happy with some types of hardware, or should I be

looking in the logs for reasons?

···

On Thursday, January 5, 2012, Sebastien Vincent <seb@jitsi.org> wrote:

Le 04/01/12 21:29, Aaron Stover (Celestech) a écrit :

Le 01/01/12 19:29, Colin Beckingham a écrit :

--
--sent from my mobile