[jitsi-users] Audio not working while video call


#1

Dear Jitisi-community,

I was successfully able to establish a video call with Jitsi between two XMPP-accounts from jabber.de. I used Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 and my friend Windows 7 at that time. The headset in use was a Logitech Clearchat Pro. However, although I could see the reaction of the microphone graphically under "Audio" at Jitsi, my partner could not hear me nor could I hear him. I checked for the correct input (the headset) at the GNOME sound settings and tried to activate a single audio encoding at a time under Jitsi, but it didn't work.

I would appreciate any help,

Markus


#2

На 11.9.2013 г. 13:30, M. написа:

I was successfully able to establish a video call with Jitsi between two XMPP-accounts from jabber.de. I used Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 and my friend Windows 7 at that time. The headset in use was a Logitech Clearchat Pro. However, although I could see the reaction of the microphone graphically under "Audio" at Jitsi, my partner could not hear me nor could I hear him. I checked for the correct input (the headset) at the GNOME sound settings and tried to activate a single audio encoding at a time under Jitsi, but it didn't work.

Thank you for the feedback, Markus! We'll need Jitsi's logs (https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ#logs) for you and your partner for a start.


#3

Markus,

Your question prompted me to start a page for Voice Calls. Check the
Troubleshooting section and see if any of the steps help resolve your issue:
https://jitsi.org/Documentation/VoiceCall

David

···

On 9/11/2013 5:30 AM, M. wrote:

Dear Jitisi-community,

I was successfully able to establish a video call with Jitsi between
two XMPP-accounts from jabber.de. I used Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 and my
friend Windows 7 at that time. The headset in use was a Logitech
Clearchat Pro. However, although I could see the reaction of the
microphone graphically under "Audio" at Jitsi, my partner could not
hear me nor could I hear him. I checked for the correct input (the
headset) at the GNOME sound settings and tried to activate a single
audio encoding at a time under Jitsi, but it didn't work.

I would appreciate any help,

Markus

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
.


#4

Hi there,
I'm experimenting with Jitsi and had a number of problems, mostly with
sound. More on those in some other mail.

One of the problems is current. It's happening with Jitsi 2.2 on Linux
Mint Debian Edition, with PulseAudio as backend. It seems that when a
new voice call is started, the system mic level is set to maximum. I
can't tell whether this is done by jitsi or PulseAudio. Does anyone
have any experience with that?

Why is this problematic? This machine uses some Intel HD chip, as
do many other laptops. They have something called 'Internal Mic Boost',
which is accessible through for example alsamixer. If this stuff is
enabled, it causes ridiculous levels of noise, there isn't even any
noticeable amplification of the mic sound. On the machine mentioned
above PulseAudio enables this stuff if the mic level is set any higher
than 25 percent, and thus causing havoc.

It's clear to me that PulseAudio is stupid, but that's nothing new.
What I wonder is whether it's PulseAudio or Jitsi that puts the level
to 100% whenever there's a new call.

Regards,
Philipp

···

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 00:46:15 -0500 David Bolton <davidkbolton@gmail.com> wrote:

Markus,

Your question prompted me to start a page for Voice Calls. Check the
Troubleshooting section and see if any of the steps help resolve your
issue: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/VoiceCall

David


#5

See a discussion here:
http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/users/2013-March/000067.html

Regards,
Boris

···

On 9/16/13 2:23 PM, Philipp �berbacher wrote:

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 00:46:15 -0500 > David Bolton <davidkbolton@gmail.com> wrote:

Markus,

Your question prompted me to start a page for Voice Calls. Check the
Troubleshooting section and see if any of the steps help resolve your
issue: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/VoiceCall

David

Hi there,
I'm experimenting with Jitsi and had a number of problems, mostly with
sound. More on those in some other mail.

One of the problems is current. It's happening with Jitsi 2.2 on Linux
Mint Debian Edition, with PulseAudio as backend. It seems that when a
new voice call is started, the system mic level is set to maximum. I
can't tell whether this is done by jitsi or PulseAudio. Does anyone
have any experience with that?


#6

murks@tuxfamily.org writes:

One of the problems is current. It's happening with Jitsi 2.2 on Linux
Mint Debian Edition, with PulseAudio as backend. It seems that when a
new voice call is started, the system mic level is set to maximum. I
can't tell whether this is done by jitsi or PulseAudio. Does anyone
have any experience with that?

My personal box is running the same software, on hardware which
alsamixer describes as 'HDA Intel PCH'; I've not experienced this
particular issue.

Alexis.


#7

Yes, that's roughly the same hardware (there might be lots of variants
of this intel chip around). Do you get distortion if you turn 'Internal
Mic Boost' up? The Pulseaudio Mic level stays low when a call is
initiated (a mic symbol appears in the systray when the call starts)?

Regards,
Philipp

···

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:56:17 +1000 Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:

murks@tuxfamily.org writes:

> One of the problems is current. It's happening with Jitsi 2.2 on
> Linux Mint Debian Edition, with PulseAudio as backend. It seems
> that when a new voice call is started, the system mic level is set
> to maximum. I can't tell whether this is done by jitsi or
> PulseAudio. Does anyone have any experience with that?

My personal box is running the same software, on hardware which
alsamixer describes as 'HDA Intel PCH'; I've not experienced this
particular issue.

Alexis.


#8

murks@tuxfamily.org writes:

Yes, that's roughly the same hardware (there might be lots of variants
of this intel chip around). Do you get distortion if you turn
'Internal Mic Boost' up? The Pulseaudio Mic level stays low when a
call is initiated (a mic symbol appears in the systray when the call
starts)?

I've actually just moved to testing the 'incoming' repo, and the mic
symbol has been permanently in my systray since then.

I can't use my laptop's internal mic with Jitsi, as trying to do so
creates a horrible feedback loop. But since my laptop's built-in cam
got installed upside-down :-/ I use an external cam, and set Pulse to
use that cam's mic.

I've had the "internal mic boost" setting disabled for a while now, as
it seemed to be causing more problems than it solved, across several
applications on a few different boxen (all running LMDE). So I've not
recently checked its effect when using Jitsi, sorry! I do sometimes have
to adjust the mic input level slightly (i.e. usually not significantly)
upwards, but I suspect the level is being set by Pulse when I plug the
cam in - I don't recall seeing the volume level change once I start
Jitsi.

Alexis.


#9

Thanks,
so this is a known issue and it's still unclear whether jitsi or
PulseAudio is at fault. I'll test some more to get a more definite idea
about when it is occuring.

Here's a 5 year old and still open bug report that may or may not be
related:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/204536
This one sounds closer related:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1536322
And there are lots more. It might even be related to PulseAudio and
Gnome: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-media/+bug/322909

I hope I can narrow it down over time.

Regards,
Philipp

···

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:16:10 +0200 Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org> wrote:

On 9/16/13 2:23 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 00:46:15 -0500 > > David Bolton <davidkbolton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Markus,
>>
>> Your question prompted me to start a page for Voice Calls. Check
>> the Troubleshooting section and see if any of the steps help
>> resolve your issue: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/VoiceCall
>>
>> David
>
> Hi there,
> I'm experimenting with Jitsi and had a number of problems, mostly
> with sound. More on those in some other mail.
>
> One of the problems is current. It's happening with Jitsi 2.2 on
> Linux Mint Debian Edition, with PulseAudio as backend. It seems
> that when a new voice call is started, the system mic level is set
> to maximum. I can't tell whether this is done by jitsi or
> PulseAudio. Does anyone have any experience with that?

See a discussion here:
http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/users/2013-March/000067.html

Regards,
Boris