[jitsi-users] Android client


#1

Hi all,

Is there a way to make encrypted secure Jitsi* calls with my Android
device?

*(I'd like to use my Jitsi account, and not a OSTEL or anything else)

I saw there was an Android app. Even though I'm not a fearless alpha
warrior I tried it. It seems it cannot handle voice calls, only xmpp
chat.
Not to mention 5 more months and it's a 2 years old release.

···

--
You are so lucky!


#2

it works, but it has a few "nice" bugs :slight_smile:

I'm afraid that you can not make a voice call, isn't Jitsi's fault.

Does your XMMP server support audio and video ?

Whats your main problem ?
Do you get an error message ?

best regards,
Marius

···

Am 27.09.2015 um 10:42 schrieb Mike Nagie:

Hi all,

Is there a way to make encrypted secure Jitsi* calls with my Android
device?

*(I'd like to use my Jitsi account, and not a OSTEL or anything else)

I saw there was an Android app. Even though I'm not a fearless alpha
warrior I tried it. It seems it cannot handle voice calls, only xmpp
chat.
Not to mention 5 more months and it's a 2 years old release.


#3

Thanks Marius for your answer!

The thing is, I don't own a XMPP/Jingle server. We (my friends and I)
use the Jitsi server. (username@jit.si)
We love how Jitsi automatically encrypts calls, and we would like to
use it between a computer and an Android phone.
So there are no error messages, and the only 'problem' is that we didn't
find any application which could handle Jitsi voice calls.
The Android Jitsi app would be perfectly okay, just it hasn't supported
voice calls yet.

Jitsi Meet works quite well between PCs and Android, however it's little
hard to call someone suddenly.

I emphasized how we love that Jitsi encrypts calls. It wouldn't be a
good solution if we found an app which can handle xmpp/jingle accounts
but doesn't support zrtp calls.

Danke noch einmal
Mike

···

On 15-09-27 14:46:29, Marius wrote:

Am 27.09.2015 um 10:42 schrieb Mike Nagie:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to make encrypted secure Jitsi* calls with my Android
> device?
>
> *(I'd like to use my Jitsi account, and not a OSTEL or anything else)
>
> I saw there was an Android app. Even though I'm not a fearless alpha
> warrior I tried it. It seems it cannot handle voice calls, only xmpp
> chat.
> Not to mention 5 more months and it's a 2 years old release.

it works, but it has a few "nice" bugs :slight_smile:

I'm afraid that you can not make a voice call, isn't Jitsi's fault.

Does your XMMP server support audio and video ?

Whats your main problem ?
Do you get an error message ?

best regards,
Marius

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
You are so lucky!


#4

Wait, Jitsi on Android does support encrypted voice calls, why do you
think it doesn't?
For this to work, you don't need server support. Voice calls (and Jingle
related stuff in general) work peer-to-peer.

The last time I tried out Jitsi on Android, text chat and voice calls
were working, however, there were several problems. It sometimes had
problems with OTR, MUCs and filetransfers weren't available, and startup
was horribly slow. Also, there was one problem that seemed related to my
Phone: The voice calls couldn't be encrypted. Calls between the
Windows/Linux version of Jitsi and my friends phones were encrypted
flawlessly, but whenever my Phone was involved, it wouldn't work.
Also, when calling with my Phone, every few seconds the sound hung for
two seconds.

Regards,
Stefan

···

On 27.09.2015 15:19, Mike Nagie wrote:

Thanks Marius for your answer!

The thing is, I don't own a XMPP/Jingle server. We (my friends and I)
use the Jitsi server. (username@jit.si)
We love how Jitsi automatically encrypts calls, and we would like to
use it between a computer and an Android phone.
So there are no error messages, and the only 'problem' is that we didn't
find any application which could handle Jitsi voice calls.
The Android Jitsi app would be perfectly okay, just it hasn't supported
voice calls yet.

Jitsi Meet works quite well between PCs and Android, however it's little
hard to call someone suddenly.

I emphasized how we love that Jitsi encrypts calls. It wouldn't be a
good solution if we found an app which can handle xmpp/jingle accounts
but doesn't support zrtp calls.

Danke noch einmal
Mike

On 15-09-27 14:46:29, Marius wrote:

Am 27.09.2015 um 10:42 schrieb Mike Nagie:

Hi all,

Is there a way to make encrypted secure Jitsi* calls with my Android
device?

*(I'd like to use my Jitsi account, and not a OSTEL or anything else)

I saw there was an Android app. Even though I'm not a fearless alpha
warrior I tried it. It seems it cannot handle voice calls, only xmpp
chat.
Not to mention 5 more months and it's a 2 years old release.

it works, but it has a few "nice" bugs :slight_smile:

I'm afraid that you can not make a voice call, isn't Jitsi's fault.

Does your XMMP server support audio and video ?

Whats your main problem ?
Do you get an error message ?

best regards,
Marius

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#5

Really, Jitsi supports ecrypted voice calls on Android!? :open_mouth:
That's very surprising!
I thought it didn't support voice calls because I hadn't found that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prg6kkge6xaw6dx/2015-09-27-225542_1600x900_scrot.png?dl=0

But I believe you, maybe the icon didn't appear, because she was on a
XMPP only client, namely on Xabber.

That's good news that Android Jitsi is capable of initiate voice calls.
It's not that Android branch is not maintained :frowning:

···

On 15-09-27 22:26:37, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

Wait, Jitsi on Android does support encrypted voice calls, why do you
think it doesn't?
For this to work, you don't need server support. Voice calls (and Jingle
related stuff in general) work peer-to-peer.

The last time I tried out Jitsi on Android, text chat and voice calls
were working, however, there were several problems. It sometimes had
problems with OTR, MUCs and filetransfers weren't available, and startup
was horribly slow. Also, there was one problem that seemed related to my
Phone: The voice calls couldn't be encrypted. Calls between the
Windows/Linux version of Jitsi and my friends phones were encrypted
flawlessly, but whenever my Phone was involved, it wouldn't work.
Also, when calling with my Phone, every few seconds the sound hung for
two seconds.

Regards,
Stefan

On 27.09.2015 15:19, Mike Nagie wrote:
> Thanks Marius for your answer!
>
> The thing is, I don't own a XMPP/Jingle server. We (my friends and I)
> use the Jitsi server. (username@jit.si)
> We love how Jitsi automatically encrypts calls, and we would like to
> use it between a computer and an Android phone.
> So there are no error messages, and the only 'problem' is that we didn't
> find any application which could handle Jitsi voice calls.
> The Android Jitsi app would be perfectly okay, just it hasn't supported
> voice calls yet.
>
> Jitsi Meet works quite well between PCs and Android, however it's little
> hard to call someone suddenly.
>
> I emphasized how we love that Jitsi encrypts calls. It wouldn't be a
> good solution if we found an app which can handle xmpp/jingle accounts
> but doesn't support zrtp calls.
>
> Danke noch einmal
> Mike
>
>
> On 15-09-27 14:46:29, Marius wrote:
>> Am 27.09.2015 um 10:42 schrieb Mike Nagie:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make encrypted secure Jitsi* calls with my Android
>>> device?
>>>
>>> *(I'd like to use my Jitsi account, and not a OSTEL or anything else)
>>>
>>> I saw there was an Android app. Even though I'm not a fearless alpha
>>> warrior I tried it. It seems it cannot handle voice calls, only xmpp
>>> chat.
>>> Not to mention 5 more months and it's a 2 years old release.
>>
>> it works, but it has a few "nice" bugs :slight_smile:
>>
>> I'm afraid that you can not make a voice call, isn't Jitsi's fault.
>>
>> Does your XMMP server support audio and video ?
>>
>> Whats your main problem ?
>> Do you get an error message ?
>>
>> best regards,
>> Marius
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> users mailing list
>> users@jitsi.org
>> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
>> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
You are so lucky!


#6

The audiocodec is awefully slow. You have to change it to speedex16 or
lower.

Change the video resolution to low res 320x280, this helps with the
slowness too :slight_smile:

The OTR window isn't where you think it may be, it's in the right upper
menu,
when you see the call window.

And there is somethign like the chat theme, you can choosse between
androids style and the normal style.
I like the normal style, but that's personal :slight_smile:

Marius

···

Am 27.09.2015 um 22:26 schrieb Stefan Schmidt:

Wait, Jitsi on Android does support encrypted voice calls, why do you
think it doesn't?
For this to work, you don't need server support. Voice calls (and Jingle
related stuff in general) work peer-to-peer.

The last time I tried out Jitsi on Android, text chat and voice calls
were working, however, there were several problems. It sometimes had
problems with OTR, MUCs and filetransfers weren't available, and startup
was horribly slow. Also, there was one problem that seemed related to my
Phone: The voice calls couldn't be encrypted. Calls between the
Windows/Linux version of Jitsi and my friends phones were encrypted
flawlessly, but whenever my Phone was involved, it wouldn't work.
Also, when calling with my Phone, every few seconds the sound hung for
two seconds.


#7

Really, Jitsi supports ecrypted voice calls on Android!? :open_mouth:
That's very surprising!
I thought it didn't support voice calls because I hadn't found that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prg6kkge6xaw6dx/2015-09-27-225542_1600x900_scrot.png?dl=0

But I believe you, maybe the icon didn't appear, because she was on a
XMPP only client, namely on Xabber.

no, it's an alpha release and should really get some love again to fix bugs.

it auto encrypts all calls, but you do not see the ZRP acknowlage requester.
it's hidden in the upper right menu. If you open it, you can acknowlage your
opponents identity.

That's good news that Android Jitsi is capable of initiate voice calls.
It's not that Android branch is not maintained :frowning:

My guess is, if more people request it, we may get some love for it
again .. so .. request that :slight_smile:

Marius

···

Am 27.09.2015 um 23:16 schrieb Mike Nagie: