Jitsi Update

Hi,
I have jitsi meet 2.0.7287 stable version and docker jitsi meet stable 7439 in my local machine.
I have done some customization which includes .env file changes in docker setup and config & some components files changes in jitsi meet web application.
There is this requirement that after 2-3 months we will update Jitsi meet.
which component (either jitsi meet or docker setup) I should update, so my customization will still work?
will it be possible I update docker setup regularly as soon as a new stable release available but won’t update my jitsi meet web app and it will still work fine ?
Because most of my customization are in jitsi-meet web app and I can’t loose them when we try to update Jitsi meet.

You should update all components of the setup at once. They get released in tandem and if you mix and match version Bad Things ™ will happen.

okay got it

I have one more Question.

As I mentioned I have used docker based self hosting guide. In the docker mainely 4 folder or we can say containers are there i.e. jicofo, jvb, prosody and web(jitsi meet). All these images are fetched from docker hub under jitsi.
I want to replace web image to my customized jitsi meet image so that once I run docker-compose command it will automatically take customized jitsi meet web, not the default one. For that I am guessing I need to make changes in dockerfile of web folder under docker code given in github - GitHub - jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet: Jitsi Meet on Docker
can you please tell me what changes I need to do to achieve this use case.?
I will push customized jitsi meet 2.0.7287 stable version (which has changes on top of GitHub - jitsi/jitsi-meet: Jitsi Meet - Secure, Simple and Scalable Video Conferences that you use as a standalone app or embed in your web application.) to docker hub repository. What changes I should do after that to pull and build with this image using docker-compose command.
Thanks

All you need to do is edit the docker-compose file to point the web container to your image instead.

Hi saghul,

Please help me with this. I am using windows 11 and I have created a Dockerfile in the same directory where my jitsi-meet custom code is added with other default components. the Dockerfile is like this -
FROM node:16-alpine

WORKDIR /usr/app

COPY ./ /usr/app

RUN npm install

EXPOSE 80 443

CMD [“make”, “dev”]

With this I am able to create an image (though that is too large). but when I am trying to run the docker image using “docker run -p 8443:8443 ” , I am getting this error in node modules-
node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:959
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module ‘/usr/app/make’
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:956:15)
at Function.Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:804:27)
at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (node:internal/modules/run_main:81:12)
at node:internal/main/run_main_module:17:47 {
code: ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’,
requireStack:
}

I feel I am doing something wrong while building docker image but not able to figure it out since I am new to docker. It would be great help if we can resolve this issue.
Thanks

make dev runs the development server, you don’t want to do that in a Docker container.

Once you are comfortable with your changes you may want to build your own image as an overlay of ours, and replace the files which you want.

That will require a 2 stage build, where you first build the frontend using make and then copy the files over an existing web image.

I am able to understand that I have to build docker image using “make” only, not “make dev”.
But I am not able to understand this “then copy the files over an existing web image.”
What do you mean by that ?

I have created an image using this docker file -
FROM node:16-alpine

WORKDIR /usr/app

COPY ./ /usr/app

RUN apk --update add make && npm install

CMD [“make”]

It’s creating the image perfectly fine but when I am trying to run using docker-compose or docker run, the image is exiting with code 0. I have searched over internet that code 0 is successful.
In which case, make is successfully running the build but since there is no server to serve it is exiting. What to add in docker file so it will run without any issue and can be served when we give docker run or docker-compose

Your question is really a Docker generic question, not a Jitsi specific one. Please ask in a more appropriate forum.