Jitsi Stream freeze

Hi there.
Up to this point I was able to fix all errors with google and this community. Thanks! But since the last update Iam stuck and out of ideas.

Status before the update: No problems at all.

Jitsi from stable source (apt-get)

Jitsi Update with: apt update / upgrade (I kept my config files in the installation process).

Problem after update:
When a “client” is connecting to the stream, he only get a frozen picture, no video stream.

• Connection in all browser instances says “good”
  • All clients are seen in the sidebar and got a " Received session-accept from …" in the jicofo.log
  • P2P disabled
  • UDP 10000 testet with nc / ngrep as mentioned in the install/config section
  • tested with multiple browsers
  • testet with disabled firewall on server & clients

Reproduce the error:

1. When a “client” is connecting to the stream, he only get a frozen picture, no video stream.
  2. The donor (“server”) of the video (screen sharing) can see his stream in the browser. Mouse is moving.
  3. When the “server” and thereafter the “client” reloads his browser window, the video starts. (EDIT: F5 & reload only works Sometimes)
  4. When a new “client” joining the stream, it got no video at all. (remember: P2P disabled in config)
  5. The other 2 in the session still sharing the video feed. After some time (minutes) the video stops again.

Errors spotted in logfiles:

1. jvb.log:
  • Invalid message received (Could not resolve type id 'VideoTypeMessage' as a subtype of org.jitsi.videobridge.message.BridgeChannelMessage: known type ids = [AddReceiver, ClientHello, DominantSpeakerEndpointChangeEvent, EndpointConnectivityStatusChangeEvent, EndpointMessage, EndpointStats, LastNChangedEvent, LastNEndpointsChangeEvent, ReceiverVideoConstraint, ReceiverVideoConstraints, RemoveReceiver, SelectedEndpointChangedEvent, SelectedEndpointsChangedEvent, SenderVideoConstraints, ServerHello] at [Source: (String)"{"colibriClass":"VideoTypeMessage","videoType":"desktop"}"; line: 1, column: 17]): {"colibriClass":"VideoTypeMessage","videoType":"desktop"}

Seems to be pointless (Invalid message received (Could not resolve type id 'VideoTypeMessage')

• MediaSourceFactory.getSourceSsrcs#398: Unprocessed source groups: Optional[<ssrc-group xmlns='urn:xmpp:jingle:apps:rtp:ssma:0' semantics='SIM'/>]

(No idea what this is about)

1. jicofo.log
  • JitsiMeetConferenceImpl.lambda$propagateNewSources$7#1454: No jingle session yet for c0ced4b6
  • org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener: Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error
  1. prosody.log
  • May 04 10:11:16 portmanager error Error binding encrypted port for https: No certificate present in SSL/TLS configuration for https port 5281

Seems to be pointless (portmanager: Error binding encrypted port for https: No certificate present in SSL/TLS configuration for https port 528 · Issue #6473 · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub)

Any idea what is going wrong here?

1 Like

This gets weirder, the problem occured on an other instance in the same way (not related to my server). We tested with 7 Clients and screen sharing, Why now after the update? And did anyone else have problems like this? I have no idea where to start.

A error with randomness - debug hell.

I moved back to Jan/2021 > works fine now.

BUT

I also installed a fresh new jitsi instance for testing the April stable release on a new debian stable server.

Same issues as above.

Some got a black screen, some got a picture on login (no video stream).

We had identified an issue in jvb and will soon push a new version to meet.jit.si and after that will update stable with it.

2 Likes

The problems listed here sound very familiar.

Is there a known older version of jvb that does not contain the issue?

This is the fix: Fix: fix bug calculating removed video endpoints in constraints. by JonathanLennox · Pull Request #1643 · jitsi/jitsi-videobridge · GitHub
The problem commit as mentioned in the PR port effectiveVideoConstraintsChanged to EndpointK · jitsi/jitsi-videobridge@66a5ad3 · GitHub
So any jvb before Mar 4.

2 Likes

Thank you!

The Version 416 from 01/21 worked fine for me (Index of /stable/)

@damencho, this error appears to occur not with every setup or only occasionally or at least in a more or less random way. Our Jitsi instance is a multi jvb one running the latest Jitsi release and we - luckily - have no feedback from users with similar errors. I am using our Jitsi instance every day and it turns out to be stable. Are there some known details under which circumstances the described issue is likely to occur?

In addition to reverting jvb to version 416 I also had to revert jitsi-meet-web to version 1.0.4628-1 to get reliable conferences.

Not really, it is a random thing which kicks of when bandwidth goes down for a user.

Yes, you need to revert the whole suite not only one component, this is the safest bet anything else has not been tested like that.

@damencho thanks for clarification.