Jitsi optomization?

New install of jitsi here. We’re having a lot of success with peer-to-peer and small groups but with larger groups of people, it feels like the wheels are starting to come off. Video and audio quality drops for everyone. We are running this on a single server but it’s a former render node with 72 cores and 187GB of RAM on 10Gbps so I don’t think it’s a CPU, RAM or network bottleneck. I will add that this jitsi instance isn’t accessible outside of our network. We are all at home and going thru our corporate VPN to connect. It was recently upgraded and is very robust easily able to handle tons of streaming video.

What I’m asking for help with is the best settings/environment for Jitsi to be as fast as possible. Is h264 better if we all have good home computers? Does one person with a bad connection decrease the experience of a room full of people with good connections? What can we do to make the experience more reliable with more people?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

In larger groups of people then the end users computers CPU, memory and bandwidth are limited.

you can use “last n” to limit the amount of video streams sent to each participant, so that only the last 4 active talkers audio and video is sent to all.

you can use the off-stage layer suppression feature, so that only video that is viewed by someone is sent out from the clients.

for very large rooms start all participants with audio and video muted.

you can lower the video resolution in order to handle large conference rooms where everyone needs to see everyone else.

you can improve the user-interface to be less taxing on end clients by removing bells and whistles.

For best compatibility i personally would disable it and only focus on vc8. Hardware acceleration such as h264 can cause black screens and crashed browsers when things are not good.

4 Likes