Jitsi not asking for domain name when installing

Hello,

I had previously install jitsi on my server and specified the existing domain name i already had. When jitsi installed it seems it used the certificate i already had as well (not sure).

I want to have jitsi work on a subdomain on my existing server so i set up a sub domain, and now need a new certificate for that, so I uninstalled jitsi, and tried to re-install it hoping that it would ask for the new domain so i can specify the new subdomain and also give me the chance to get a certificate for that new subdomain from letsencrypt.

But when i uninstalled it and reinstalled jitsi, it never asked for a subdomain,it just installed without asking me which subdomain i wanted for it, and also never game new a chance to get a new certificate from lets encrypt.

Why does the installer not ask me for the new subdomain, why does it try to out smart the user and bypass all of that?

How do i specify the new subdomain, and also the certificate?

Use the uninstall from the quick install guide. https://jitsi.org/qi

I used two or three times still but it is still taking the domain name automatically.

@vineet,

I just tested this for you and it worked perfectly! As the Self-Hosting Guide states, run:

To Uninstall, run:

sudo apt purge jigasi jitsi-meet jitsi-meet-web-config jitsi-meet-prosody jitsi-meet-turnserver jitsi-meet-web jicofo jitsi-videobridge2

You should see something like this:

root@meet.domain.com:~# sudo apt purge jigasi jitsi-meet jitsi-meet-web-config jitsi-meet-prosody jitsi-meet-turnserver jitsi-meet-web jicofo jitsi-videobridge2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package 'jigasi' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  ca-certificates-java coturn fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core java-common libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libcups2 libevent-core-2.1-6
  libevent-extra-2.1-6 libevent-openssl-2.1-6 libevent-pthreads-2.1-6 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgd3 libhiredis0.13 libjbig0 libjpeg-turbo8 libjpeg8 liblcms2-2
  libmysqlclient20 libnginx-mod-http-geoip libnginx-mod-http-image-filter libnginx-mod-http-xslt-filter libnginx-mod-mail libnginx-mod-stream libnspr4 libnss3
  libpcsclite1 libpq5 libtiff5 libwebp6 libxi6 libxpm4 libxrender1 libxtst6 mysql-common nginx nginx-common nginx-core openjdk-8-jre-headless x11-common
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  jicofo* jitsi-meet* jitsi-meet-prosody* jitsi-meet-turnserver* jitsi-meet-web* jitsi-meet-web-config* jitsi-videobridge2*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
After this operation, 133 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 30820 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing jitsi-meet (2.0.4857-1) ...
Removing jitsi-meet-turnserver (1.0.4289-1) ...
Removing jitsi-meet-prosody (1.0.4289-1) ...
Removing jicofo (1.0-612-1) ...
Removing jitsi-meet-web (1.0.4289-1) ...
Removing jitsi-meet-web-config (1.0.4289-1) ...
Removing jitsi-videobridge2 (2.1-273-g072dd44b-1) ...
(Reading database ... 30199 files and directories currently installed.)
Purging configuration files for jitsi-videobridge2 (2.1-273-g072dd44b-1) ...
Removing user `jvb` ...
Warning: group `jitsi` has no more members.
Done.
dpkg: warning: while removing jitsi-videobridge2, directory '/usr/share/jitsi-videobridge' not empty so not removed
Purging configuration files for jitsi-meet (2.0.4857-1) ...
Purging configuration files for jitsi-meet-web-config (1.0.4289-1) ...
Purging configuration files for jitsi-meet-turnserver (1.0.4289-1) ...
Purging configuration files for jitsi-meet-prosody (1.0.4289-1) ...
Purging configuration files for jicofo (1.0-612-1) ...
Removing user `jicofo` ...
Warning: group `jitsi` has no more members.
Done.
Processing triggers for systemd (237-3ubuntu10.41) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-21) ...

You could try to search for your domain using this command.

grep -rnw '/etc' -e 'meet.domain.com' && grep -rnw '/usr' -e 'meet.domain.com'

Results (nothing interesting):

/etc/hosts:1:127.0.0.1 localhost meet.domain.com
Binary file /etc/ssl/certs/java/cacerts matches
/etc/hostname:1:meet.domain.com

As you tested on ubuntu and i also tested on ubuntu , it is asking for domain name after using uninstall command mentioned on jitsi website and it is working fine. But it is not working on debian 10. You can give a shot

It may be a problem with debian then.
try to purge install manually, something along the lines of:

echo PURGE | debconf-communicate jitsi-videobridge