Jitsi Meet username from URL?

Hello Jitsi community,
is there any way to insert a username directly when joining a room?
Something like … meet.jitsi.tld/room-name&username="example-user" would be neat.

Our use case is a conference, where participants are logged into the conference’s wordpress website from where they can join different Jitsi Meet rooms. It would be cool if it was possible to forward the participant’s username with a dynamically created link (like above) to the room.
I found this old thread but it didn’t help that much, ufortunately.

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

This can be done with the JWT authentication.

This JWT is added to the url. Outside of setting the name you could also set the avatar.
See below example for the JWT payload.

Maybe there’s some plugins for Wordpress to easily create JWT tokens…

{
  "context": {
    "user": {
      "avatar": "https:/gravatar.com/avatar/abc123",
      "name": "John Doe",
      "email": "jdoe@example.com",
      "id": "abcd:a1b2c3-d4e5f6-0abc1-23de-abcdef01fedcba"
    },
    "group": "a123-123-456-789"
  },
  "aud": "jitsi",
  "iss": "my_client",
  "sub": "meet.jit.si",
  "room": "*",
  "exp": 1500006923
}
1 Like

Thank you @PeterS for your fast reply and the tip with the plugin.
I’m not a developer so my question may be dumb, but here it goes:
For this solution to work, 1) the respective Jitsi Meet installation needs to have the plugin installed and 2) it needs to be coupled with my client app, i.e. in my case the Wordpress website, correct?
Would that imply that only people who are authenticated via the Wordpress site are allowed on the Jitsi server?
[What we would like is just that people have their username by default when joining a jitsi coversation (instead of being Fellow Jitsers) … but maybe it’s indeed harder to do than expected. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you.

It is indeed possible to provide the displayname in the URL, not as parameter but in the URL fragment:

https://meet.jit.si/roomname#userInfo.displayName="username"

See this thread for more details.

2 Likes

Thank you @plokta, that’s exactly what I was looking for! Very happy about this. :blush:

Is it possible to pass the displayname parameter when the conference is setup using the iframe API?