Jitsi Meet Spot configuration help

Hi everyone,

I’ve been investigating the Jitsi Meet Spot project and I’m trying to configure it against a custom install. So far, we have a running Jitsi Meet server that we’ve tested and are happy it is working. I’ve also managed to get the main jitsi-meet-electron app configured and working with our server.

However, we’ve reached a stumbling block trying to integrate the spot software. I’ve been digging through code and fumbling around trying to make something work but the lack of documentation is making this very slow.

Are there any diagrams that explain the interaction between the various projects and how these would ideally be deployed.

Is there an example .env with all the suitable defaults for the client?

How do we configure beacons and regionId for the Spot TV electron app?

Spot shows jitsi-meet within an iframe, like jitsi-meet-electron app. The config has grown a bit, spot-client/src/common/app-state/config/default-config.js. You can override values using .env and running a build or by modifying spot-client/config.js and let the app override the default config (config.js gets loaded here https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-spot/blob/master/spot-client/index.html#L24). If you run the build command in spot-client/, the dist folder should create app.js and some other files. You would deploy those files and the index.html somewhere.

I’m not as familiar with the spot-electron work and that is still work in progress.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been able to connect the client and the electron app. I was unsure on the following options and whether they were required.

• CALENDAR_SERVICE_URL
  • ROOM_KEEPER_SERVICE_URL
  • PAIRING_SERVICE_URL

I think the root of our problems were down to password protecting the Jitsi Meet server, which made the spot conifguration problematic.

They are required if you’re using a custom backend to support jitsi-meet-spot. jitsi-meet-spot has two modes: “open source” and “backend” (not the clearest names, that’ll get worked on some day). backend mode works if the three URLs mentioned are configured, to interact with a backend that handles spot instance registration and calendars, otherwise the default is to use “open source” mode which uses google/outlook client-side integrations and instance management is handled by the client. I should warn that the open-source mode is not the securest mode; the initial plan was to create an open-source service that handles spot registration but that has not been built and I don’t know what the plan is there.

@Lenny8 thanks very much for filling in the details, it’s really helpful.

I’ve not had a chance to try this but should I be able to have a single spot-client and register multiple TVs / spot-electron instances via a single client?

It is advised to have a single Spot-TV/spot-electron instance running on the machine hosting the Spot-TV and that single instance can support multiple Spot-Remote instances controlling it. Spot-TV (which spot-electron shows in an iframe) works by joining a MUC, which Spot-Remotes can also join to control the Spot-TV.