Jitsi Meet on Raspberry Pi 4 : feasible or not?

Hi,

due to confinement here in France (but it should be the same problem in many other places in the world sooner or later), I cannot teach to my students. I do not want to use Discord & others non-free tools.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4 GB of RAM, a huge upload bandwith (~500 Mbps thanks to the fiber) and I wonder if I can install and run Jitsi Meet on it. I do not plan to use video globally, may be just to share my screen. The audio and Etherpad Lite parts of the software will be used, of course.

Is my goal reachable, or should go back to my school and try to pick an old x86 computer ? Thanks in advance,

KouP

1 Like

Arm and 4GB of ram are not enough to run it.

I’m spanish and I was wondering the same thing, but just to use for family conferences on my rpi4.
I thought that a 4gb rpi4 could be enough for video conferences of few people. I’m shocked :frowning:
This days I’m using Zoom but the privacy is practically non-existent

Nope that is not a good idea.

Is there any SBC capable of just doing a conference call?

I was testing with a raspberry pi3 and a C920 the video worked out of the box but I don’t know why the Chromium doesn’t access the audio.

I just searched to see I could have ideas about why it isn’t working and I found this post.

Check this update from crouchingtigerhiddenadam at https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet/issues/195

Jitsi does seem to work on the Raspberry Pi 4 !

Hi all,
I just installed jitsi-meet on a raspberry pi4B 4Gig and it works like a charm. It did take me half a day though. Here are my notes (I document for my own retracing purposes) which might help you along the way. I have 1Gbit connection and it seems to be working quite decently with a few jitsers, no idea when the upper limits are reached. I can try with my lab.

Best and good luck.

Installing Jitsi meet on a Raspberry Pi4B

First, install Ubuntu for Raspberry. I used the 18.04.4 version for Raspberry pi4.

If you are on Ubuntu (18.04) yourself: Important is that you have to click on the .xz file after download if making the SD Card image on an Ubuntu (18.04) machine. If you first start the disks program and then choose the image, the SD Card won’t be working. Click on the .xz file, the disks program is launched and then you choose the SD Card as the destination for image restoration.

When at it, I also set the screen size right and slightly overclocked the PI by inserting the following in the file /system-boot/usercfg.txt on the SD Card still in my computer.

hdmi_cvt=1920 1080 60 3 0 1 0
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=1750
gpu_freq=600

Once that is done insert SD Card into Raspberry PI, connect to network, fire-up and change the user password.

Change to sudo for the remainder:

sudo su -

Update Ubuntu

apt update
apt upgrade

Wait for the software to be up to date.

Create a gpg key

gpg --gen-key

Follow the instructions. This may take a really long time. Just wait until you are done.
Then follow the instructions as they are explained in the very nice tutorial on the jitsi news section: new-tutorial-installing-jitsi-meet-on-your-own-linux-server

I would post my notes, but this forum let’s new users only post two links, so complain to them for this limitation.

One possibly important addition:
During installation you have to give the host name of the current installation. In my case this was my free ddns.net adress that I use.

Make sure the host name is active and your router firewall allows to challenge the PI. This means before you do the last step with getting a letsencrypt certificate, if you have not done so, give the PI a fixed IP number, go to your router and setup the port forwarding for incoming connections to the PI’s IP adress for the ports 80/TCP, 443/TCP and 10000:20000/UDP.

standard Jitsi install does not need the range, only 10000 port is needed.

1 Like

That’s very good to know. I can close some ports :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks.

Could you share it somewhere else? I was trying to deploy jitsi (prosody + jicofo + meet + videobridge) as well but after having everything compiled somehow they don’t connect to each other.
In case I get my setup run, I will share as well.

Here you go: https://owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/Sc6YziJqSzvziQw
But this is just for jitsi meet. I don’t know about the rest. I just wanted to check why the IT was telling me that installing e-meeting software wasn’t that easy and straightforward, when I needed a working solution to keep in touch with my lab.
Good luck.

Ok, I thought, the standard package is built for amd64/i386 only. Anyway I managed to get it done, recompiling jitsi-sctp + jitsi-srtp + jitsi-videobridge, essentially. If anyone is interested, I can compile a howto.

Hi @kpoeppel,

That would be perfect. I could not get it to work on my Raspberry Pi 4, even after following @Kamran_Safi guide step by step.

The videobridge seems to fail every time as connections between two parties are possible but audio and video fails when a third person joins the conversation. Also the automatically installed Nginx falls back to Port 4444/tcp…

Thanks in advance!

I suggest you get a small virtual server from somewhere and try to install it there. Thie will be easier and more performant than on a Raspberry Pi. Small VPS don’t cost much.

Mebus

See there, they actually seem to have gotten it far easier:

You have to compile the sctp library manually using maven and then either compile all of jitsi-videobridge (as I did) or copy a replacement of the respective library replaceing an older version. It has to do with some precompiled amd64 library.
If you install everything from repo replacing that only file later it will probably safe you from some error prone manual installation as I did.

Thank you very much for your help. I watched that tread for quite some time now but cannot follow the instructions to get it to work. Did you document it step by step for yourself?

Unfortunately, there were quite many step backs, so I don’t have a detailed list of steps, just a rough list:

1. Download + Install maven
  2. Download the git repos: jitsi-sctp, jitsi-srtp. Remove precompiled libraries (.so) and rebuild using the given commands in the respective repos. Install them to your maven directory (.m2)
  3. Download jitsi-videobridge repo. Build+Package using maven. Maven should take your libs now instead of downloading from repo. Package jitsi-videobridge and extract the folder containing the binaries.
  4. Use these binaries as replacement for jitsi-videobridge in the manual installation (https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/manual-install.md)
  5. Do not touch any js-libs (npm will warn you about some outdated ones).
  6. Make sure you changed all configuration files correctly

It took me quite some time, probably using the trick mentioned earlier will save you from a lot of trouble. Look at dubit0’s last post (https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet/issues/195#issuecomment-609082048).

I was trying to work out if it was possible to get Jitsi to run in a docker container on an ARM computer. My server delivery was delayed and I just happened to have a Raspberry Pi and a few other SBCs to hand.

I’ve created a new issue and added instructions here:

These instructions were intended for the developers to review should they want to incorporate ARM into the build process.

1 Like

Based on my personal experience Jitsi Meet works on 64-bit Raspberry Pi models (like rpi3 and rpi4) with 64-bit GNU/Linux distribution like Ubuntu 20.04. I’ve published a video tutorial with all the steps I had to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNZtCP4K8AE

1 Like