Jitsi-meet in Docker inside Linux VM on FreeNAS behind reverse proxy

Hello all,

I’m trying to run Jitsi-meet in an Ubuntu server VM being hosted on my FreeNAS box behind my Nginx reverse proxy to be accessible through my domain at meet.domain.com. Here’s my issue…
If I run Jitsi-meet inside WSL on my main Windows machine and have Nginx reroute the meet. traffic to my Jitsi server on my Windows machine using http:8000 (so the desktop is ip 192.168.1.225 and the nginx reverse proxy proxies all traffic for service ‘meet’ to that ip using http at port 8000, which is the HTTP port specified in the .env file) then everything works fine…
As soon as I move the docker-compose up to an Ubuntu 18.04 server VM sitting inside my FreeNAS box (obviously having correctly configured nginx) then every meeting results in an immedidate and perpetual disconnect, both in the browser and via the app, both via WAN and LAN. I’m wondering if there’s an issue with FreeNAS here because I route ports 4443 and 10000 to the IP of whatever machine is hosting the docker-compose/jitsi, but all my other services seem to work just fine so I think I’m missing something… does anyone have Jitsi inside docker-compose, on a linux vm, hosted on a FreeNAS box working? I appreciate any advice!

Most probably you need to configure org.ice4j.ice.harvest.NAT_HARVESTER...
I don’t know how it is doing on a Docker installation

How should that be configured? And do you have any idea why it would need extra config when running in a VM as opposed to WSL? Both are Ubuntu Servers so I thought the setup would be mimicked exactly.

JVB publishes the external IP (learned from the stun server) and the container IP which are not accessable for your local network. It should be added the VM’s IP which is meaningful for your network

I have set the DOCKER_HOST_IP to my public WAN as well as the internal IP of the VM. When I run the docker-compose in WSL with the DOCKER_HOST_IP as the IP of the Windows machine that WSL is on then everything works fine. In either case though, on the Linux VM on FreeNAS, the perpetual disconnection happens regardless…

Did you solve the issue? I think I have the same problem.

I never did… I believe there’s some network magic happening on the FreeNAS side and so for now I just use docker-compose in WSL on my main computer whenever I need to use Jitsi… I am planning to move to a Linux-based server setup though and I don’t anticipate any issues since there will be nothing like FreeNAS in the way.