Jitsi-Meet : Google Chrome vs Firefox

Hello Jitsi community,

I would like to know the differences between Google Chrome (or Chromium) and Firefox when using Jitsi-Meet.

Which one is more WebRTC-compatible (and Jitsi-compatible)?
Which browser do Jitsi community members recommend ?
What are the included features in Chrome that are not included in Firefox, and vice versa ?

The major difference that I noticed was about Network information. unlike Firefox, Chrome provides more information about the current connection (especially under Chrome://webrtc-internals). Also, screensharing is more intuitive on Chrome than Firefox.

Any other points of views ?
Thanks.

Chrome has simulcast enabled, which is missing in Firefox and this is the main big difference and that’s why chrome will be the recommendation. There used to be performance issues with Firefox, but this got fixed by the mozilla team at some point.
And I would say chrome is the most tested one. Soon we will be spending some time moving to Unified Plan which will involve work on unifying the code for chrome, firefox and the rest, so more tests will be made with Firefox and probably and Safari.

What do you mean? Just that the browser UI for choosing what to share is better?

isn’t simulcast enabled on Firefox ? I thought it was but only experimental because I found this option in config.js file : enableFirefoxSimulcast: false

Exactly, from a user experience perspective, Chrome has a better UI and allows users to share tabs.

Could you please tell me why there’s no network information when using Firefox :

No it is not enabled, there were some bugs and if I remember correctly George was helping mozilla team implement simulcast. We will soon work on that.

Most probably cause we need to spend more time on the stats implementation in lib-jitsi-meet, which will also happen soon, I think. I worked on moving Safari, Edge and Firefox to use the Promise based webrtc stats implementation, but it is possible that had been broken after some update … not sure … needs checking.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I will keep this post updated once I notice any other differences between the two main browsers (Chrome and Firefox)

@damencho I still have other questions. Sorry :sweat_smile:
If simulcast is not implemented in Firefox, it means that the browser sends the maximum resolution ? (and only one resolution ? ). and if we have a conference of 3 participants, 2 using Chrome with simulcast and 1 Firefox, do chrome users receive this big resolution even if FF user is not the active speaker ?

Yes, you are right, this is what it happens.

Very interesting!
Thank you very much.

Very interesting! So by now, if we want good performances for all users, we have to use (for all) only Google Chrome, right? In order to have the good video quality corresponding to the network of each users.

Also, I have a question for the same subject, but for the “desktop electron” apps. How it is on the apps? It works like “google chrome” or like "firefox’ (always sending HD) ?

@ziloub Electron is using the Chrome engine under the hodd, so for all intents and purposes, Electron is the same as Chrome.

That’s just perfect! :slight_smile: Thanks!!!