Jitsi Meet Electron cannot access the Jitsi Meet server by using the IP address

I installed a Jitsi Meet server in the Local area network (LAN) and it can be accessed by using Chrome. When I install Jitsi Meet, the server uses the IP address, not the domain name. Now I want to access Jitsi Meet through the Jitsi Meet electron application, here is the result.image
How do I solve this problem?

you don’t solve this problem, Webrtc requires TLS hence a certificate for http and currently it can only be used on the internet with a host name.

can i change Jitsi electron code solve this problem?

you can’t really use Jitsi-meet client without Webrtc. What you can do is to use a self-signed certificate and host names in host files if for some mysterious reason Let’sEncrypt certificates are not to your taste. But you will have to approve the certificates manually since browsers (and Jitsi Electron is a browser, only embedded) don’t like self-signed certificates.

The problem with IPs is that it’s hard to get SSL certificate for an IP address. You can get such certificate from the commercial certificate authorities (CA) like Digicert and a lot of others.

Unfortunately the free SSL from LetsEncrypt don’t come for IP addresses. There is a reason for this - IP addresses change much faster and easier than domain names, so in order to reduce abuse of the service, LetsEncrypt doesn’t issue at all certificates for IPs.

WebRTC (and Jitsi Meet as a WebRTC based platform) requires SSL/HTTPS to work, so your options are basically two:

1. Get a commercial SSL from a major authority that is for the IP address. It will be recognized from the browsers and mobile apps and it will just work, the same way the domain based SSLs work.

2. Create a self-signed SSL (like you probably already have done and you are using in the browser) for the IP. The problem with the mobile apps is that your phone won’t know whether to trust the self-signed SSL, so you need to import the SSL in each phone that will be using the Jitsi Meet.

In Android it should be an option somewhere under “settings → security” or similar, depending on your version. You can get the certificate from the website, through the browser or you can copy it from the server. Then you import it in the phone.

P.S.: There is another option, like @gpatel-fr told you, to use a custom domain name and edit hosts files in all the devices (or maybe use an internal DNS, as it’s all in LAN). You will still have to import these certificates in Android though, the same way that you have to do with IP based self-signed SSLs.

Thanks!