Jitsi meet as a surveillance cam

Hello!

Been using Jitsi since Covid came and couldnt really be more happy. Feels like the obvious system compared to the alternatives. A question came up, I tried to set up a room with only one user (User1) and then from time to time I would log in as another user (User2) to see what the camera on the first one sees.The reason for this is I want to see what the cats at home are doing while away as one has been a bit sick lately.

Everything worked fine, until it didnt. I believe there is a time limit on the room? Perhaps if there is only one user? If so, how do I change that setting to unlimited time? If not possible, would it be possible to keep a room open if there are two users in the room?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!

Is this on meet.jit.si or do you host your own server?

Oh my bad, its hosted on a VPS

When a second participant joins a p2p and jvb connection is established with p2p with higher priority if possible. When one of the participants leave there is 20 sec of timeout after which jicofo closes the media channels, but the participant is still in the room and there is no timeout to kick you out of the room, so if you join 2 days later the media path will be setup again …
You need to figure out what went wrong on your side. One option I can think of is you have preJoin screen enabled and for some reason the client looses connection for short period and reloads … the client will land in preJoin and not in the room.

Hi damencho and thank you for the reply!
I admit I dont fully understand the response, but I think the geist is that this shouldnt have happened. A bit more details (perhaps should have posted them from the beginning…) is that User1 created a room with video on using the Samsung S20 Ultra phone and Jitsi Meet app, signed in to the right server and everything. This was tested a few times the days before so that part worked.

Today I then logged (as User2) on after a two hour drive and it was up and I could see my home. Then I logged in again two hours later and it was down.

Now, if I understand you right there is no reason from Jitsi’s side to kick out User1.
If this is correct, I will look into the Samsung S20 Ultra and User1, which for example may have lost its wifi connection or even power. I will verify this when Im back home again tomorrow.

Follow up question: What is a preJoin screen? The room was open and didnt have the lobby enabled.

Edit: I just read this again

BlockquoteWhen one of the participants leave there is 20 sec of timeout after which jicofo closes the media channels, but the participant is still in the room and there is no timeout to kick you out of the room, so if you join 2 days later the media path will be setup again …

Does this mean the first user, User1, will be kicked 20 seconds after User2 left?

edit2: Nope, my testcenter has been up since 2½ hours now with one user. Tested logged on from several phones and different webbrowsers. Logged off for a few minutes but User1 didnt get booted out. So I guess its something with the phone then!

Nope. This is an optimization behind the curtains to avoid clients sending video in the background when there is nobody in the meeting.

thanks for the clarification!

Update: Just got back and it turns out the phone required an update for Android 11 which was forced… my other digital room has now been up for 22 hours without a glitch so I feel confident it was the phone and nothing else :slight_smile:

1 Like