[jitsi-dev] Writing user documentation

I'm interested in writing user documentation to cover the basics of using Jitsi. What is the best format for creating this (HTML, some wiki format, etc). It would mostly consist of text and screenshots to begin with.

In the past I've written documentation for MuseScore (probably close to half of the current manual). At MuseScore we initially did the documentation over SVN using HTML, but later switched to wiki (since SVN, HTML, and requesting permission were often barriers for writers).

Along the way, I'm sure I'll need to ask questions about how parts of Jitsi work. Should I ask these types of questions on the developer list, the user list, or another location?

So far I've only tried Jitsi 1.0.

David

I'm interested in writing user documentation to cover the basics of
using Jitsi.

That would be great! The documentation is one of our weak points.

What is the best format for creating this (HTML, some wiki
format, etc). It would mostly consist of text and screenshots to begin
with.

We don't have much documentation yet, so you could start with whatever you
like. However the easiest would probably be the format of our current Wiki
(pmwiki, see markup description at [1]).

In the past I've written documentation for MuseScore (probably close to
half of the current manual). At MuseScore we initially did the
documentation over SVN using HTML, but later switched to wiki (since
SVN, HTML, and requesting permission were often barriers for writers).

I'm not up-to-date about the permissions on our Wiki, but for the long term,
I'm sure we could arrange something to give you editing rights on some
parts. Post your articles to the dev-list to begin with.

Along the way, I'm sure I'll need to ask questions about how parts of
Jitsi work. Should I ask these types of questions on the developer list,
the user list, or another location?

Either of the two lists are fine.

So far I've only tried Jitsi 1.0.

As the UI changed radically in the upcoming 2.0 (based on the 1.1
nightlies), I'd strongly suggest you take this as the base to avoid being
outdated within in a few weeks.

David

Regards,
Ingo

[1] https://jitsi.org/index.php/PmWiki/PmWiki

hello,

is there is a git repo with a simple format is choosen (markdown,
textile or something similar), we could be interested in minor
contributions and french translations.

regards

···

--
Marc Chantreux
Université de Strasbourg, Direction Informatique
14 Rue René Descartes,
67084 STRASBOURG CEDEX
:phone:: 03.68.85.57.40
http://unistra.fr
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
    -- Abraham Lincoln

Hi devs,

with http://java.net/jira/browse/JITSI-1077 was a NullPointerException resolved and confirmed.

Just got an error message: Failed to create the call. sip:002085xxxx–0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:–
[where xxxx were actually numbers]

I am pretty sure it was working before ( removing a dash, slash, backslash, brackets etc. ) when I tested it with build #4214.
Jitsi 1.1.4377.10191 on OSX 10.6.8

java.text.ParseException: sip:0020858894–0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:–
  at gov.nist.core.HostNameParser.hostPort(HostNameParser.java:307)
  at gov.nist.javax.sip.parser.URLParser.sipURL(URLParser.java:644)
  at gov.nist.javax.sip.parser.URLParser.uriReference(URLParser.java:347)
  at gov.nist.javax.sip.parser.AddressParser.address(AddressParser.java:116)
  at gov.nist.javax.sip.parser.StringMsgParser.parseAddress(StringMsgParser.java:314)
  at gov.nist.javax.sip.address.AddressFactoryImpl.createAddress(AddressFactoryImpl.java:124)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.parseAddressString(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:2245)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.createCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:117)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetBasicTelephony.createCall(AbstractOperationSetBasicTelephony.java:110)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$CreateCallThread.run(CallManager.java:1820)

Kind regards
Walter

Hello Walter,

When I copy/paste the number from your post, I have got the same kind of ParseException: "java.text.ParseException: sip:0020858894?0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:?".

If I remove your '-' and replace it with a "real" dash, then everything works right.

Can you give it a try?

Regards,
Vincent

···

On 1/25/13 1:50 PM, Walter Kreutzner wrote:

Hi devs,

with http://java.net/jira/browse/JITSI-1077 was a NullPointerException resolved and confirmed.

Just got an error message: Failed to create the call. sip:002085xxxx�0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:�

I am pretty sure it was working before ( removing a dash, slash, backslash, brackets etc. ) when I tested it with build #4214.

java.text.ParseException: sip:0020858894�0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:�
  at gov.nist.javax.sip.parser.StringMsgParser.parseAddress(StringMsgParser.java:314)
  at gov.nist.javax.sip.address.AddressFactoryImpl.createAddress(AddressFactoryImpl.java:124)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.parseAddressString(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:2245)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.createCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:117)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetBasicTelephony.createCall(AbstractOperationSetBasicTelephony.java:110)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$CreateCallThread.run(CallManager.java:1820)

Kind regards
Walter

--
Vincent Lucas, Ph.D. Jitsi developer
chenzo@jitsi.org http://jitsi.org

Hi Vincent.
confirmed that it is working with a "real" dash.

If I copy the LinkLocation and paste it here I'm getting the following: sip:002085xxxx%E2%80%930@10.0.0.15

If I copy it into Jitsi the number (with the "special" dash) just looks fine but I get the "Illegal character in hostname" error. Do you want me to open/re-open the issue on the tracker?

Kind regards
Walter

···

On 25 Jan 2013, at 20:06, Vincent Lucas wrote:

Hello Walter,

When I copy/paste the number from your post, I have got the same kind of ParseException: "java.text.ParseException: sip:0020858894?0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:?".

If I remove your '-' and replace it with a "real" dash, then everything works right.

Can you give it a try?

Regards,
Vincent

On 1/25/13 1:50 PM, Walter Kreutzner wrote:

Hi devs,

Just got an error message: Failed to create the call. sip:002085xxxx–0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:–

java.text.ParseException: sip:0020858894–0@10.0.0.15 Illegal character in hostname:–

Kind regards
Walter

--
Vincent Lucas, Ph.D. Jitsi developer
chenzo@jitsi.org http://jitsi.org

Hey

If I copy the LinkLocation and paste it here I'm getting the following:
sip:002085xxxx%E2%80%930@10.0.0.15

If I copy it into Jitsi the number (with the "special" dash) just looks

fine

but I get the "Illegal character in hostname" error. Do you want me to
open/re-open the issue on the tracker?

No, because what you're pasting is really not a dash. The site/application
you're copying this from should be fixed. Jitsi can display it correctly as
it can handle Unicode, but it's not a valid number. The exception even
correctly marks the offensive character correctly.

Kind regards
Walter

Regards,
Ingo

Hi Ingo,

Hey

If I copy the LinkLocation and paste it here I'm getting the following:
sip:002085xxxx%E2%80%930@10.0.0.15

If I copy it into Jitsi the number (with the "special" dash) just looks

fine

but I get the "Illegal character in hostname" error. Do you want me to
open/re-open the issue on the tracker?

No, because what you're pasting is really not a dash. The site/application
you're copying this from should be fixed. Jitsi can display it correctly as
it can handle Unicode, but it's not a valid number. The exception even
correctly marks the offensive character correctly.

I think it is still a glitch. On Preferences - General it says "Remove special symbols before calling phone numbers".
Valid is 0..9 and a..z and A..Z (my view)
And how can I/someone fix the site/application if I copy it from an (Outlook) send email? Please think about it again.
I don't mind to remove the offensive character manually (as I have to in order to dial the number). But "special symbols" should be removed.

Kind regards
Walter

Regards,
Ingo

Lind regards
Walter

···

On 25 Jan 2013, at 20:32, Ingo Bauersachs wrote: