As I've said earlier, I was looking into a new library for implementing
IRC support. I now have a very basic client working. It currently does
not even handle any mode changes, except for few simple ones... but you
can send messages and receive them.
That already sounds great! How did you go about the license problem?
Well, the easy way: use a different library
(http://code.google.com/p/irc-api/). This one is Apache License
2.0-licensed, which should be liberal enough if I understand it
correctly. The other library did already have a question regarding the
GPL licensing "issue" but since there are many contributions and it's
already a fork of another project, it's really hard to legitimately
I've included a text file irc-api-1.0-NOTICE that describes the
additional modification I have made to the library. This is also
reported upstream but it wasn't included yet in the latest version.
During the implementation I've also fixed a few minor issues some w.r.t.
tab-completion of user names.
Now, I am actually wondering how to proceed.
1. What is the preferred way to deliver changes: a bunch of smaller
patches for these fixes and then IRC support as a big patch when a
"first version" is done? (In case of small patches, it might be
interesting to send some of these already ...)
Either post them here on the dev-list or create a pull-request on GitHub.
Okay, so I'll post a few small fixes up front. The remaining code should
be as closely related to the IRC implementation as possible, since other
patches are already submitted.
2. How can I best approach unit testing. I get the impression from the
Developers documentation that I would have to create a bunch of accounts
(10+, if I am not exagerating ...
Well... I guess most of us just don't run them, I definitely don't
What you can do to run only some of them is to change the
net.java.sip.communicator.slick.runner.TEST_LIST property in
lib/testing.properties. The SlicklessTests should be able to run without any
Ah right. I did think of that, but it felt like cheating.
Depending on how many unit test you want to write for IRC, maybe try to
create them with as less server interaction as possible. This way they
wouldn't need so much of the OSGi Slick setup around, wouldn't be so much
prone to error due to network circumstances...
test/protocol/sip/TestAutoProxyDetection.java is one those plain-junit-ones
as an example.
I'll keep that in mind. I understood that there are some tests that are
somewhat flaky. At least, judging by some of the posts that recently
came by here.
PS: In case people are curious. I use github to back up this code during
development. It can be found at
https://github.com/cobratbq/jitsi/tree/ircapi (branch 'ircapi'). Also
note that, currently, I am shamelessly rebasing the code upon the HEAD
of jitsi, so expect history to change for this repo ...
I love rebasing
On 12/02/2013 10:43 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote: