[jitsi-dev] Why still beta? / Website improvements


#1

Hi,

... I haven't posted for a while here - not because I have some new VoIP favorite - but because Jitsi has worked without flaws.

Some points:
- I plan to use Jitsi as a simple tool for remote maintainance with one of my clients. They asked me why I propose installing Beta status software.(*)

Given the current quality, Jitsi deserves at least 1.0 status - also in comparison with other popular software. Nothing is completely error free and beeing overly cautios - we would never reach "production" status.
(check out Mozilla Firefox and their advancing number scheme, they don't seem to care)

- We also installed VLC Player (www.videolan.org) in that session - and the download/install process was much clearer for a newbee/non techie:
-- Why installing older versions? Please just put the actual stable version upfront and a link to "other versions" to satisfy the software acheologists.
-- Videolan, Mozilla and LibreOffice detect the operating system from the browser's request string. Not always accurate but a good guess for 99% of all cases. (again: a link to "other operating system" would serve the remaining 1%)

Hope that helps
Conrad

(*) one of the banks I did an IT project with, has a policy not to install Beta software. They gave me a hard time with Freemind, which was in 0.9beta_xx for ages with a predecessor version some 4-5 years old by then lacking a lot of needed features. I had to keep up with that regardless of a very stable "Beta 26 or something" available. Release Please!! :slight_smile: CB


#2

I also think Jitsi is stable enough not to be "beta".

Only reason to keep it in beta is if some major changes are coming up
which will make upgrading non-trivial.

In fact, Jitsi has so many features, it could be called Jitsi 7.0

And then, I hope it will be officially listed on:
http://portableapps.com/apps

Best regards,

M :wink:

···

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Conrad Beckert <conrad_videokonferenz@gmx.de> wrote:

Hi,

... I haven't posted for a while here - not because I have some new VoIP favorite - but because Jitsi has worked without flaws.

Some points:
- I plan to use Jitsi as a simple tool for remote maintainance with one of my clients. They asked me why I propose installing Beta status software.(*)

Given the current quality, Jitsi deserves at least 1.0 status - also in comparison with other popular software. Nothing is completely error free and beeing overly cautios - we would never reach "production" status.
(check out Mozilla Firefox and their advancing number scheme, they don't seem to care)

- We also installed VLC Player (www.videolan.org) in that session - and the download/install process was much clearer for a newbee/non techie:
-- Why installing older versions? Please just put the actual stable version upfront and a link to "other versions" to satisfy the software acheologists.
-- Videolan, Mozilla and LibreOffice detect the operating system from the browser's request string. Not always accurate but a good guess for 99% of all cases. (again: a link to "other operating system" would serve the remaining 1%)

Hope that helps
Conrad

(*) one of the banks I did an IT project with, has a policy not to install Beta software. They gave me a hard time with Freemind, which was in 0.9beta_xx for ages with a predecessor version some 4-5 years old by then lacking a lot of needed features. I had to keep up with that regardless of a very stable "Beta 26 or something" available. Release Please!! :slight_smile: CB

--
Marc Laporte

http://MarcLaporte.com
http://Tiki.org/MarcLaporte
http://AvanTech.net


#3

Hey Conrad,

It took me a while to answer this one, sorry for that.

So here's the thing.

Version numbers mean different things to all of us so there's no point
in trying to agree on a strict set of rules as to when we should or
shouldn't move out of beta.

To me this thread has shown that people do feel like Jitsi is doing for
them what they expect it to be doing. If that's the case then I am
perfectly happy to have us drop the beta label.

We'll try to make the change in the following month or so.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Emil

На 08.09.11 00:28, Conrad Beckert написа:

···

Hi,

... I haven't posted for a while here - not because I have some new VoIP favorite - but because Jitsi has worked without flaws.

Some points:
- I plan to use Jitsi as a simple tool for remote maintainance with one of my clients. They asked me why I propose installing Beta status software.(*)

Given the current quality, Jitsi deserves at least 1.0 status - also in comparison with other popular software. Nothing is completely error free and beeing overly cautios - we would never reach "production" status.
(check out Mozilla Firefox and their advancing number scheme, they don't seem to care)

- We also installed VLC Player (www.videolan.org) in that session - and the download/install process was much clearer for a newbee/non techie:
-- Why installing older versions? Please just put the actual stable version upfront and a link to "other versions" to satisfy the software acheologists.
-- Videolan, Mozilla and LibreOffice detect the operating system from the browser's request string. Not always accurate but a good guess for 99% of all cases. (again: a link to "other operating system" would serve the remaining 1%)

Hope that helps
Conrad

(*) one of the banks I did an IT project with, has a policy not to install Beta software. They gave me a hard time with Freemind, which was in 0.9beta_xx for ages with a predecessor version some 4-5 years old by then lacking a lot of needed features. I had to keep up with that regardless of a very stable "Beta 26 or something" available. Release Please!! :slight_smile: CB

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#4

And then, I hope it will be officially listed on:
http://portableapps.com/apps

This is also one of my biggest wishes for JITSI:

run from USB port WITHOUT ever touching C: drive
or \windows or \Documents and Settings

a real portable application

regards, Earl

···

On 9/12/2011 12:33 PM, Marc Laporte wrote:

I also think Jitsi is stable enough not to be "beta".

Only reason to keep it in beta is if some major changes are coming up
which will make upgrading non-trivial.

In fact, Jitsi has so many features, it could be called Jitsi 7.0

And then, I hope it will be officially listed on:
http://portableapps.com/apps

Best regards,

M :wink:

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Conrad Beckert > <conrad_videokonferenz@gmx.de> wrote:

Hi,

... I haven't posted for a while here - not because I have some new VoIP favorite - but because Jitsi has worked without flaws.

Some points:
- I plan to use Jitsi as a simple tool for remote maintainance with one of my clients. They asked me why I propose installing Beta status software.(*)

Given the current quality, Jitsi deserves at least 1.0 status - also in comparison with other popular software. Nothing is completely error free and beeing overly cautios - we would never reach "production" status.
(check out Mozilla Firefox and their advancing number scheme, they don't seem to care)

- We also installed VLC Player (www.videolan.org) in that session - and the download/install process was much clearer for a newbee/non techie:
-- Why installing older versions? Please just put the actual stable version upfront and a link to "other versions" to satisfy the software acheologists.
-- Videolan, Mozilla and LibreOffice detect the operating system from the browser's request string. Not always accurate but a good guess for 99% of all cases. (again: a link to "other operating system" would serve the remaining 1%)

Hope that helps
Conrad

(*) one of the banks I did an IT project with, has a policy not to install Beta software. They gave me a hard time with Freemind, which was in 0.9beta_xx for ages with a predecessor version some 4-5 years old by then lacking a lot of needed features. I had to keep up with that regardless of a very stable "Beta 26 or something" available. Release Please!! :slight_smile: CB


#5

Hi Emil

It took me a while to answer this one, sorry for that.

Never mind.

To me this thread has shown that people do feel like Jitsi is doing for
them what they expect it to be doing. If that's the case then I am
perfectly happy to have us drop the beta label.

That's good news- so I'll not going to scare off the fainthearted folks anymore when I install "beta" software. :slight_smile:

Greetings and thanks for the reply

Conrad