[jitsi-dev] Tunning for hard load (or how to have more that 50 people in the same room)


#1

Hi

I have a server with Debian Testing 64 bits, with 8 vCPUs and 16 Gb of RAM,
and I tried to do a meeting with 40 people, and was a disaster.

Some time ago, I asked here about the max number and I believe that the
reply was ~ 250 people. I'm more humble. I wait only 100. :wink:

Today, I have this versions installed in my server:
jicofo 1.0-351-1
jitsi-archive-keyring 1.0.1
jitsi-meet 1.0.2066-1
jitsi-meet-prosody 1.0.1941-1
jitsi-meet-web 1.0.1941-1
jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.1941-1
jitsi-videobridge 949-1
openjdk-8-jre-headless:amd64 8u131-b11-1
prosody 0.9.12-1
prosody-modules 0.0~hg20170123.3ed504b944e5+dfsg-1
nginx 1.10.3-1

This server works fine with 2-8 users, +- good from 9-12, and falls
radically with more and more users enter in the room/conf.

How can I do a tunning in my server to work with more users? Have some
tutorial or docs about how to do it?

Since now, thanks any suggestion.

Regards,
Claudio Ferreira


#2

Hi,

did you do some measurements, how much RAM was used, what was the CPU
usage, what was the bandwidth incoming to the server and outgoing from
the server?
Sometimes the bad experience on some clients can be caused by their network.

Regards
damencho

路路路

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Claudio Ferreia Filho <filhocf@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I have a server with Debian Testing 64 bits, with 8 vCPUs and 16 Gb of RAM,
and I tried to do a meeting with 40 people, and was a disaster.

Some time ago, I asked here about the max number and I believe that the
reply was ~ 250 people. I'm more humble. I wait only 100. :wink:

Today, I have this versions installed in my server:
jicofo 1.0-351-1
jitsi-archive-keyring 1.0.1
jitsi-meet 1.0.2066-1
jitsi-meet-prosody 1.0.1941-1
jitsi-meet-web 1.0.1941-1
jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.1941-1
jitsi-videobridge 949-1
openjdk-8-jre-headless:amd64 8u131-b11-1
prosody 0.9.12-1
prosody-modules 0.0~hg20170123.3ed504b944e5+dfsg-1
nginx 1.10.3-1

This server works fine with 2-8 users, +- good from 9-12, and falls
radically with more and more users enter in the room/conf.

How can I do a tunning in my server to work with more users? Have some
tutorial or docs about how to do it?

Since now, thanks any suggestion.

Regards,
Claudio Ferreira

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev


#3

We have never supported 250 people in the same conference, perhaps that was 250 participants total, distributed across many conferences.

Boris

路路路

On 24/05/2017 18:27, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

Hi

I have a server with Debian Testing 64 bits, with 8 vCPUs and 16 Gb of
RAM, and I tried to do a meeting with 40 people, and was a disaster.

Some time ago, I asked here about the max number and I believe that the
reply was ~ 250 people.


#4

Boris, have some number per conference?

And any suggestion to tuning the service? Or yet, have some way to federate
servers?

Regards,
Claudio Ferreira

路路路

2017-05-24 22:43 GMT-03:00 Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org>:

On 24/05/2017 18:27, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

Hi

I have a server with Debian Testing 64 bits, with 8 vCPUs and 16 Gb of
RAM, and I tried to do a meeting with 40 people, and was a disaster.

Some time ago, I asked here about the max number and I believe that the
reply was ~ 250 people.

We have never supported 250 people in the same conference, perhaps that
was 250 participants total, distributed across many conferences.


#5

We are currently working on something like this, but there's nothing out yet.

Regards,
Boris

路路路

On 25/05/2017 06:30, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

2017-05-24 22:43 GMT-03:00 Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org
<mailto:boris@jitsi.org>>:

聽聽聽聽On 24/05/2017 18:27, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Hi

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽I have a server with Debian Testing 64 bits, with 8 vCPUs and 16
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Gb of
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽RAM, and I tried to do a meeting with 40 people, and was a disaster.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Some time ago, I asked here about the max number and I believe
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽that the
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽reply was ~ 250 people.

聽聽聽聽We have never supported 250 people in the same conference, perhaps
聽聽聽聽that was 250 participants total, distributed across many conferences.

Boris, have some number per conference?

And any suggestion to tuning the service? Or yet, have some way to
federate servers?


#6

A friend took a look in the server and found that JVB and JICOFO are
working with 3Gb each one, in a machine with 16Gb. So, he changed the
VIDEOBRIDGE_MAX_MEMORY variable in /etc/jitsi/videobridge/config to 8Gb
and now are working, apparently, better.

Is it really a 'tuning suggestion'? Have others?

Regards,
Claudio Ferreira

路路路

2017-05-25 8:30 GMT-03:00 Claudio Ferreia Filho <filhocf@gmail.com>:

And any suggestion to tuning the service?


#7

Hi,

Is there any limit for mximum number of participants in a single conference.

聽聽聽1. Audio/Video Mode
聽聽聽2. Audio Only mode

Thanks

路路路

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org> wrote:

On 25/05/2017 06:30, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

2017-05-24 22:43 GMT-03:00 Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org
<mailto:boris@jitsi.org>>:

聽聽聽聽On 24/05/2017 18:27, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Hi

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽I have a server with Debian Testing 64 bits, with 8 vCPUs and 16
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Gb of
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽RAM, and I tried to do a meeting with 40 people, and was a
disaster.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Some time ago, I asked here about the max number and I believe
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽that the
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽reply was ~ 250 people.

聽聽聽聽We have never supported 250 people in the same conference, perhaps
聽聽聽聽that was 250 participants total, distributed across many conferences.

Boris, have some number per conference?

And any suggestion to tuning the service? Or yet, have some way to
federate servers?

We are currently working on something like this, but there's nothing out
yet.

Regards,

Boris

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

--
*Buddhika Jayawardhana*
Undergraduate | Department of Computer Science & Engineering
University of Moratuwa
*buddhika.anushka@gmail.com <buddhika.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk>* | LinkedIn
<http://lk.linkedin.com/in/buddhikajay/>


#8

Hi

Sorry. I wrote wrong. Was edited this
file: /usr/share/jitsi-videobridge/lib/videobridge.rc .

My felling today is that when more memory in VIDEOBRIDGE_MAX_MEMORY
variable, less the system quality in general.

Can someone give me a light about this?

Regards,
Claudio Ferreira

路路路

2017-05-27 19:41 GMT-03:00 Claudio Ferreia Filho <filhocf@gmail.com>:

2017-05-25 8:30 GMT-03:00 Claudio Ferreia Filho <filhocf@gmail.com>:

And any suggestion to tuning the service?

A friend took a look in the server and found that JVB and JICOFO are
working with 3Gb each one, in a machine with 16Gb. So, he changed the
VIDEOBRIDGE_MAX_MEMORY variable in /etc/jitsi/videobridge/config to 8Gb
and now are working, apparently, better.

Is it really a 'tuning suggestion'? Have others?

Regards,
Claudio Ferreira


#9

both files attached. I received them yesterday and did not have the time to test. Let me know if it doesn't work.
Thanks.

路路路

________________________________
From: dev <dev-bounces@jitsi.org> on behalf of Buddhika Jayawardhana <buddhika.anushka@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:18 PM
To: Jitsi Developers
Subject: Re: [jitsi-dev] Tunning for hard load (or how to have more that 50 people in the same room)

Hi,

Is there any limit for mximum number of participants in a single conference.

聽聽1. Audio/Video Mode
聽聽2. Audio Only mode

Thanks

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org<mailto:boris@jitsi.org>> wrote:
On 25/05/2017 06:30, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

2017-05-24 22:43 GMT-03:00 Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org<mailto:boris@jitsi.org>
<mailto:boris@jitsi.org<mailto:boris@jitsi.org>>>:

聽聽聽聽On 24/05/2017 18:27, Claudio Ferreia Filho wrote:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Hi

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽I have a server with Debian Testing 64 bits, with 8 vCPUs and 16
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Gb of
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽RAM, and I tried to do a meeting with 40 people, and was a disaster.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽Some time ago, I asked here about the max number and I believe
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽that the
聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽reply was ~ 250 people.

聽聽聽聽We have never supported 250 people in the same conference, perhaps
聽聽聽聽that was 250 participants total, distributed across many conferences.

Boris, have some number per conference?

And any suggestion to tuning the service? Or yet, have some way to
federate servers?

We are currently working on something like this, but there's nothing out yet.

Regards,

Boris

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org<mailto:dev@jitsi.org>
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

--
Buddhika Jayawardhana
Undergraduate | Department of Computer Science & Engineering
University of Moratuwa
buddhika.anushka@gmail.com<mailto:buddhika.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk> | LinkedIn<http://lk.linkedin.com/in/buddhikajay/>