[jitsi-dev] tried openmeetings plug-in - please help to decide on specific use case


#1

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095


#2

Kind of off-topic isn't it?

Could you please remove the Jitsi dev list from future posts in this thread?

Thanks,
Emil

···

On 08.07.12 12:44, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#3

[added openmeetings-dev]

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095


#4

Emil,
What is the proper place to discuss jitsi plugin development?

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Kind of off-topic isn't it?

Could you please remove the Jitsi dev list from future posts in this thread?

Thanks,
Emil

On 08.07.12 12:44, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#5

AFAIU the plugin was aready discussed here
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

Emil,
What is the proper place to discuss jitsi plugin development?

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Kind of off-topic isn't it?

Could you please remove the Jitsi dev list from future posts in this thread?

Thanks,
Emil

On 08.07.12 12:44, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#6

JFYI folks,

The plug-in reference appeared here first:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

Though I believe that the proper place for jitsi plugin is jitsi code
base, I put it here just for the reference:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/

Maybe the plug-in is already published somewhere.

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

[added openmeetings-dev]

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095


#7

ОК, didn't make the connection.

Sorry about that then.

Emil

···

On 08.07.12 13:34, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

AFAIU the plugin was aready discussed here
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

Emil,
What is the proper place to discuss jitsi plugin development?

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Kind of off-topic isn't it?

Could you please remove the Jitsi dev list from future posts in this thread?

Thanks,
Emil

On 08.07.12 12:44, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#8

Thanks Alexei,

JFYI folks,

The plug-in reference appeared here first:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

Thanks for the ref, and sorry again for scoling you wrongfully.

Though I believe that the proper place for jitsi plugin is jitsi code
base, I put it here just for the reference:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/

Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some point. I
suppose a good first step would be to make sure it is compatible with
Jitsi's code conventions (i.e. all methods with javadocs, start imports,
accolades on their own line, asterisk imports, using spaces rather than
tabs, not exceeding column 80 and such, Jitsi license headers and such).

Also, is the plugin stable already? I saw a few things looking weird
here and there, like for example:

  public static IvParameterSpec iv = new IvParameterSpec(new
      byte[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8});
  
  private static String xform = "DES/CBC/PKCS5Padding";
  //private static SecretKey key;
  
  public static SecretKey key = new SecretKeySpec(new
      byte[]{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},"DES");

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 08.07.12 14:11, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

Maybe the plug-in is already published somewhere.

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

[added openmeetings-dev]

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#9

Hi,

Personally I never got the plugin working.
I configured it to use the openmeetings test server at
http://188.127.229.12:5080/openmeetings (user/pwd: test/test).

When I select the "invite to conference" from the drop-down menu I get the following error:

URL = http://188.127.229.12:5080/openmeetings/services/UserService?wsdl
null
null
08:29:55.471 GRAVE: util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().88 An uncaught exception occurred in thread=Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] and message was: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
  at net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.openmeetings.OpenmeetingsPluginMenuItem.actionPerformed(OpenmeetingsPluginMenuItem.java:63)

So this is failing in OpenmeetingsPluginMenuItem.java, actionPerformed:
invitationUrl = OpenmeetingsConfigManager.getInstance().getInvitationUrl(
  OpenmeetingsConfigManager.getInstance().getLogin() );

Alexei, you say it works for you. Are you running the code from this site or have you taken it from somewhere else or patched it?
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/
Can you send a test invitation to http://188.127.229.12:5080/openmeetings (test/test)?

Thanks,

Vieri

···

--- On Tue, 7/10/12, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Thanks Alexei,

On 08.07.12 14:11, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> JFYI folks,
>
> The plug-in reference appeared here first:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

Thanks for the ref, and sorry again for scoling you
wrongfully.

> Though I believe that the proper place for jitsi plugin
is jitsi code
> base, I put it here just for the reference:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/

Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some
point. I
suppose a good first step would be to make sure it is
compatible with
Jitsi's code conventions (i.e. all methods with javadocs,
start imports,
accolades on their own line, asterisk imports, using spaces
rather than
tabs, not exceeding column 80 and such, Jitsi license
headers and such).

Also, is the plugin stable already? I saw a few things
looking weird
here and there, like for example:

>
> public static IvParameterSpec iv =
new IvParameterSpec(new
>
byte[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8});
>
> private static String xform =
"DES/CBC/PKCS5Padding";
> //private static SecretKey key;
>
> public static SecretKey key = new
SecretKeySpec(new
>
byte[]{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},"DES");

Cheers,
Emil

> Maybe the plug-in is already published somewhere.
>
> --
> With best regards / с наилучшими
пожеланиями,
> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
> http://dataved.ru/
> +7 916 562 8095
>
>
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> > wrote:
>> [added openmeetings-dev]
>>
>> Hello folks, Elena,
>>
>> I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in.
First nice thing I've
>> noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great
job! BTW, is the code
>> in the project SVN somewhere?
>>
>> I faced the following problem with existing
solution for a particular
>> corporate network setup. The company where I've
installed jitsi uses
>> web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for
other ports. This is
>> likely used for filtering web pages contents, so
there is some
>> justification for such approach.
>>
>> By default the plugin does not work for this case,
because it has both
>> SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber
exchange to set up a
>> conference. The former should be proxied, and the
latter shouldn't.
>> I've just hardcoded the following in
OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
>> constructor, and get things working.
>>
>>
System.getProperties().put("proxyHost",
...);
>>
System.getProperties().put("proxyPort",
...);
>>
>> That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to
figure our how the
>> correct product solution would be for this case.
Would you please
>> answer some questions?
>>
>> 1.
>> The first thing to improve is to avoid changing
global properties.
>> SOAP library documentation on .call method is not
very explicit on how
>> to make proxied calls. Is there any working example
around?
>>
>> 2.
>> If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working
because it starts
>> using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for
our case with
>> hardcoded settings, or implement a special
configuration for this
>> case?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> With best regards / с наилучшими
пожеланиями,
>> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
>> http://dataved.ru/
>> +7 916 562 8095
>


#10

Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some
point.

Or... try to implement just a few features that openmeetings has and Jitsi lacks.

This is surely harder than merging in the openmeetings plugin but on the long run it's far more interesting for administrators to maintain just Jitsi instead of deploying openmeetings as well.

From a purely pragmatic point of view and to keep to fundamentally important features Jitsi "only" lacks the following enhancements in order to be a full alternative to OM:

- integrated calendar (best option would be support for iCal or CalDAV). However, it's not such a huge feature because users could use an external calendaring software (such as shared group calendaring as in e-mail software, etc.) with URL links within the calendar events that allow Jitsi to handle them.

- user management, conference moderators, etc., are not necessary because it can be done with LDAP and Asterisk, FreeSwitch, etc.

- whiteboard: this is the only real feature missing in Jitsi... possibility of sharing various file formats and presenting them in a conference, allowing people to draw on them, etc.

- conference recording. Jitsi can record audio in a call and I suppose also a conference. It currently can't record video. However, I suppose that a PBX like Asterisk or FreeSwitch can record audio+video. If so, it's not a big deal to have this feature in Jitsi.

- easy web access: Jitsi as a java applet.

So basically the only real thing missing in Jitsi is the whiteboard (although it seems tp be partially implemented).

This said, I'd also like to see the openmeetings plugin integrated into the Jitsi source tree but I do believe it requires more testing and documentation (user and admin-wise).

My 2 cents,

Vieri

···

--- On Tue, 7/10/12, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:


#11

Folks, Emil,
Just to keep you posted. Despite German complains on brackets we
updated to the jitsi code style.

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Thanks Alexei,

On 08.07.12 14:11, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

JFYI folks,

The plug-in reference appeared here first:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

Thanks for the ref, and sorry again for scoling you wrongfully.

Though I believe that the proper place for jitsi plugin is jitsi code
base, I put it here just for the reference:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/

Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some point. I
suppose a good first step would be to make sure it is compatible with
Jitsi's code conventions (i.e. all methods with javadocs, start imports,
accolades on their own line, asterisk imports, using spaces rather than
tabs, not exceeding column 80 and such, Jitsi license headers and such).

Also, is the plugin stable already? I saw a few things looking weird
here and there, like for example:

      public static IvParameterSpec iv = new IvParameterSpec(new
                      byte[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8});

      private static String xform = "DES/CBC/PKCS5Padding";
      //private static SecretKey key;

      public static SecretKey key = new SecretKeySpec(new
                      byte[]{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},"DES");

Cheers,
Emil

Maybe the plug-in is already published somewhere.

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

[added openmeetings-dev]

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#12

German,
I see you've added a build file. Great. Just one point - I used "main"
subdirectory to be compliant with maven directory structure. If you
put build file inside main, there is no point of having main.

Vieri,
jitsi invitations won't work with 1.9 release. We changed openmeetings
on our side to provide invitation hashes for jitsi. Which version are
you using?

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM, German Grekhov <ggrekhov@unipro.ru> wrote:

Hello, Vieri.

My name is German. I am familiar with Alexei and I also take part in
development of the Openmetings plugin for Jitsi.

The current version of the plugin has own settings tab in the advanced Jitsi
settings. These settings allow a user to set up Openmeetings server,
username and password. So, there are no any hard-coded test servers in the
plugin.

The current code of the plugin is available here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/main/

It will be great if you and your teammates look through this code, try to
execute it and tell us your comments. It will help a lot for making this
plugin better and integrating it faster to the Jitsi trunk.

Best regards,
German Grekhov
Openmeetings developers team

11.07.2012 13:58, Vieri пишет:

Hi,

Personally I never got the plugin working.
I configured it to use the openmeetings test server at
http://188.127.229.12:5080/openmeetings (user/pwd: test/test).

When I select the "invite to conference" from the drop-down menu I get the
following error:

URL = http://188.127.229.12:5080/openmeetings/services/UserService?wsdl
null
null
08:29:55.471 GRAVE: util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().88 An uncaught
exception occurred in thread=Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] and message
was: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.openmeetings.OpenmeetingsPluginMenuItem.actionPerformed(OpenmeetingsPluginMenuItem.java:63)

So this is failing in OpenmeetingsPluginMenuItem.java, actionPerformed:
invitationUrl = OpenmeetingsConfigManager.getInstance().getInvitationUrl(
        OpenmeetingsConfigManager.getInstance().getLogin() );

Alexei, you say it works for you. Are you running the code from this site
or have you taken it from somewhere else or patched it?
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/
Can you send a test invitation to http://188.127.229.12:5080/openmeetings
(test/test)?

Thanks,

Vieri

--- On Tue, 7/10/12, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Thanks Alexei,

On 08.07.12 14:11, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

JFYI folks,

The plug-in reference appeared here first:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

Thanks for the ref, and sorry again for scoling you
wrongfully.

Though I believe that the proper place for jitsi plugin

is jitsi code

base, I put it here just for the reference:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/

Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some
point. I
suppose a good first step would be to make sure it is
compatible with
Jitsi's code conventions (i.e. all methods with javadocs,
start imports,
accolades on their own line, asterisk imports, using spaces
rather than
tabs, not exceeding column 80 and such, Jitsi license
headers and such).

Also, is the plugin stable already? I saw a few things
looking weird
here and there, like for example:

          public static IvParameterSpec iv =

new IvParameterSpec(new

     byte[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8});

          private static String xform =

"DES/CBC/PKCS5Padding";

     //private static SecretKey key;
          public static SecretKey key = new

SecretKeySpec(new

     byte[]{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},"DES");

Cheers,
Emil

Maybe the plug-in is already published somewhere.

--
With best regards / с наилучшими

пожеланиями,

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Alexei Fedotov >>>> <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> >>> >>> wrote:

[added openmeetings-dev]

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in.

First nice thing I've

noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great

job! BTW, is the code

in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing

solution for a particular

corporate network setup. The company where I've

installed jitsi uses

web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for

other ports. This is

likely used for filtering web pages contents, so

there is some

justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case,

because it has both

SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber

exchange to set up a

conference. The former should be proxied, and the

latter shouldn't.

I've just hardcoded the following in

OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient

constructor, and get things working.

    System.getProperties().put("proxyHost",
...);

    System.getProperties().put("proxyPort",
...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to

figure our how the

correct product solution would be for this case.

Would you please

answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing

global properties.

SOAP library documentation on .call method is not

very explicit on how

to make proxied calls. Is there any working example

around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working

because it starts

using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for

our case with

hardcoded settings, or implement a special

configuration for this

case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими

пожеланиями,

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Best regards, / С наилучшими пожеланиями,
German Grekhov / Герман Грехов


#13

Vieri,
I don't think Apache Openmeetings plugin integration can be harmful for
Jitsi growth, it would rather increase a user base and a number of support
requests.

AFAIU
* A main jitsi competitor in terms of market share is Microsoft Skype, and
not Apache Openmeetings.
* Apache Openmeetings is about a specific user experience like "rooms", or
"moderators". Jitsi is about the different thing, e.g. multiple protocol
support. Our main competitor would be Microsoft Lync.

If I plan Jitsi development, I would have complete Skype integration first
(at least on contacts + chat level) to make it possible for people to
migrate from Skype to Jitsi gradually. I believe this can be done via some
Skype-SIP gateway (the guys behind Jitsi have @jit.si), + migration
wizard. This would give Jitsi millions of end active users with much less
effort. Of course you likely have thought about it.

···

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Vieri <rentorbuy@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- On Tue, 7/10/12, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

> Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some
> point.

Or... try to implement just a few features that openmeetings has and Jitsi
lacks.

This is surely harder than merging in the openmeetings plugin but on the
long run it's far more interesting for administrators to maintain just
Jitsi instead of deploying openmeetings as well.

From a purely pragmatic point of view and to keep to fundamentally
important features Jitsi "only" lacks the following enhancements in order
to be a full alternative to OM:

- integrated calendar (best option would be support for iCal or CalDAV).
However, it's not such a huge feature because users could use an external
calendaring software (such as shared group calendaring as in e-mail
software, etc.) with URL links within the calendar events that allow Jitsi
to handle them.

- user management, conference moderators, etc., are not necessary because
it can be done with LDAP and Asterisk, FreeSwitch, etc.

- whiteboard: this is the only real feature missing in Jitsi...
possibility of sharing various file formats and presenting them in a
conference, allowing people to draw on them, etc.

- conference recording. Jitsi can record audio in a call and I suppose
also a conference. It currently can't record video. However, I suppose that
a PBX like Asterisk or FreeSwitch can record audio+video. If so, it's not a
big deal to have this feature in Jitsi.

- easy web access: Jitsi as a java applet.

So basically the only real thing missing in Jitsi is the whiteboard
(although it seems tp be partially implemented).

This said, I'd also like to see the openmeetings plugin integrated into
the Jitsi source tree but I do believe it requires more testing and
documentation (user and admin-wise).

My 2 cents,

Vieri


#14

Thanks for the note Alexei!

Emil

···

On 20.07.12, 05:43, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

Folks, Emil,
Just to keep you posted. Despite German complains on brackets we
updated to the jitsi code style.

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Thanks Alexei,

On 08.07.12 14:11, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

JFYI folks,

The plug-in reference appeared here first:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.voip.sip-communicator.devel/12854

Thanks for the ref, and sorry again for scoling you wrongfully.

Though I believe that the proper place for jitsi plugin is jitsi code
base, I put it here just for the reference:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/jitsi/

Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some point. I
suppose a good first step would be to make sure it is compatible with
Jitsi's code conventions (i.e. all methods with javadocs, start imports,
accolades on their own line, asterisk imports, using spaces rather than
tabs, not exceeding column 80 and such, Jitsi license headers and such).

Also, is the plugin stable already? I saw a few things looking weird
here and there, like for example:

      public static IvParameterSpec iv = new IvParameterSpec(new
                      byte[]{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8});

      private static String xform = "DES/CBC/PKCS5Padding";
      //private static SecretKey key;

      public static SecretKey key = new SecretKeySpec(new
                      byte[]{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},"DES");

Cheers,
Emil

Maybe the plug-in is already published somewhere.

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

[added openmeetings-dev]

Hello folks, Elena,

I have just tried Apache Openmeetings plug-in. First nice thing I've
noticed - it works! Thanks, Elena, for the great job! BTW, is the code
in the project SVN somewhere?

I faced the following problem with existing solution for a particular
corporate network setup. The company where I've installed jitsi uses
web proxy for 80 port, and has direct access for other ports. This is
likely used for filtering web pages contents, so there is some
justification for such approach.

By default the plugin does not work for this case, because it has both
SOAP calls to openmeetings server and jabber exchange to set up a
conference. The former should be proxied, and the latter shouldn't.
I've just hardcoded the following in OpenmeetingsPluginSoapClient
constructor, and get things working.

        System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", ...);
        System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", ...);

That's not very beautiful code. I'm trying now to figure our how the
correct product solution would be for this case. Would you please
answer some questions?

1.
The first thing to improve is to avoid changing global properties.
SOAP library documentation on .call method is not very explicit on how
to make proxied calls. Is there any working example around?

2.
If I set up global proxy, than jabber stops working because it starts
using proxy. Should we use a "hacked" version for our case with
hardcoded settings, or implement a special configuration for this
case?

Thanks in advance!

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#15

Hi,

Vieri,
jitsi invitations won't work with 1.9 release. We changed
openmeetings
on our side to provide invitation hashes for jitsi. Which
version are
you using?

I'm using
apache-openmeetings-incubating-2.0.0.r1358466-06-07-2012_2311.tar.gz

I've also used the openmeetings test server that Elena (ihelen28 at gmail dot com) suggested I used:

server: http://188.127.229.12:5080/openmeetings
login: test
password: test

Still, I'm getting the same error I posted earlier.

Thanks,

Vieri

···

--- On Wed, 7/11/12, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:


#16

Alexei,
Don't get me wrong... I think it's GREAT if Jitsi and OpenMeetings (as well as any other OSS) combine and collaborate.
I'm just looking for pragmatic solutions to the day-to-day problems I face with my user base.
Count on me to debug your openmeetings plugin.
I hope more people will pitch in in order to get it mature enough as soon as possible,

Thanks,

Vieri

···

--- On Wed, 7/11/12, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

Vieri,
I don't think Apache Openmeetings plugin integration can be harmful for Jitsi growth, it would rather increase a user base and a number of support requests.

AFAIU
* A main jitsi competitor in terms of market share is Microsoft Skype, and not Apache Openmeetings.
* Apache Openmeetings is about a specific user experience like "rooms", or "moderators". Jitsi is about the different thing, e.g. multiple protocol support. Our main competitor would be Microsoft Lync.

If I plan Jitsi development, I would have complete Skype integration first (at least on contacts + chat level) to make it possible for people to migrate from Skype to Jitsi gradually. I believe this can be done via some Skype-SIP gateway (the guys behind Jitsi have @jit.si), + migration wizard. This would give Jitsi millions of end active users with much less effort. Of course you likely have thought about it.

--
With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Vieri <rentorbuy@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- On Tue, 7/10/12, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Yup, we should probably think about integrating this at some
point.

Or... try to implement just a few features that openmeetings has and Jitsi lacks.

This is surely harder than merging in the openmeetings plugin but on the long run it's far more interesting for administrators to maintain just Jitsi instead of deploying openmeetings as well.

From a purely pragmatic point of view and to keep to fundamentally important features Jitsi "only" lacks the following enhancements in order to be a full alternative to OM:

- integrated calendar (best option would be support for iCal or CalDAV). However, it's not such a huge feature because users could use an external calendaring software (such as shared group calendaring as in e-mail software, etc.) with URL links within the calendar events that allow Jitsi to handle them.

- user management, conference moderators, etc., are not necessary because it can be done with LDAP and Asterisk, FreeSwitch, etc.

- whiteboard: this is the only real feature missing in Jitsi... possibility of sharing various file formats and presenting them in a conference, allowing people to draw on them, etc.

- conference recording. Jitsi can record audio in a call and I suppose also a conference. It currently can't record video. However, I suppose that a PBX like Asterisk or FreeSwitch can record audio+video. If so, it's not a big deal to have this feature in Jitsi.

- easy web access: Jitsi as a java applet.

So basically the only real thing missing in Jitsi is the whiteboard (although it seems tp be partially implemented).

This said, I'd also like to see the openmeetings plugin integrated into the Jitsi source tree but I do believe it requires more testing and documentation (user and admin-wise).

My 2 cents,

Vieri