[jitsi-dev] startBitrate and minBitrate in the latest stable version of Jitsi Meet


#1

Hello all,

We are using Jitsi Meet within a very complex network environment (Nat, Reverse Proxies, Firewalls) and sometimes the bandwidth estimation doesn't reflect the reality of the available bandwidth so the video quality gets lower till the video streams stop.

In order to solve this, in earlier versions of Jitsi Meet we used to add the parameters startBitrate and minBitrate in the config.js file to force the participants to start with 800kbps and use at least 400kbps during the conference. Theses two parameters don't seem to work with the latest stable version of Jitsi Meet, is that normal ?

Best regards
Hamza


#2

Hello,

Hello all,

We are using Jitsi Meet within a very complex network environment (Nat,
Reverse Proxies, Firewalls) and sometimes the bandwidth estimation
doesn't reflect the reality of the available bandwidth so the video
quality gets lower till the video streams stop.

In order to solve this, in earlier versions of Jitsi Meet we used to add
the parameters startBitrate and minBitrate in the config.js file to
force the participants to start with 800kbps and use at least 400kbps
during the conference. Theses two parameters don't seem to work with the
latest stable version of Jitsi Meet, is that normal ?

As far as I know they should continue to work.

Testing with beta.meet.jit.si shows that the parameters do end up in the setRemoteDescription() call for the connection to the bridge. But they are not there for the p2p connection.

Do you expect to see them for p2p or for the bridge connection? Do you see the options propagate to the SDP in the remote description?

Regards,
Boris

···

On 16/06/2017 07:38, KHAIT Hamza - SG/SPSSI/CPII/DOSE/ET/PNE ANNUAIRE ET MESSAGERIE wrote:


#3

Hello Boris,

Testing with beta.meet.jit.si shows that the parameters do end up in
the setRemoteDescription() call for the connection to the bridge. But
they are not there for the p2p connection.

Do you expect to see them for p2p or for the bridge connection? Do you
see the options propagate to the SDP in the remote description?

I do see these parameters in setRemoteDescription() as :
a=fmtp:100 x-google-min-bitrate=400; x-google-start-bitrate=800

In the UI (network section) I see for instance that the estimated bandwidth is 700kbps and the Bitrate 291kbps. Normally, the Bitrate should be at least 400kbps no?

Regards,
Hamza


#4

Yes, I think it should be at least 400kbps with the above settings.

I would suggest to look at the graphs in chrome://webrtc-internals directly (look for "bwe") instead of the jitsi-meet UI.

Regards,
Boris

···

On 16/06/2017 10:02, KHAIT Hamza - SG/SPSSI/CPII/DOSE/ET/PNE ANNUAIRE ET MESSAGERIE wrote:

Hello Boris,

Testing with beta.meet.jit.si shows that the parameters do end up in
the setRemoteDescription() call for the connection to the bridge. But
they are not there for the p2p connection.

Do you expect to see them for p2p or for the bridge connection? Do you
see the options propagate to the SDP in the remote description?

I do see these parameters in setRemoteDescription() as :
a=fmtp:100 x-google-min-bitrate=400; x-google-start-bitrate=800

In the UI (network section) I see for instance that the estimated
bandwidth is 700kbps and the Bitrate 291kbps. Normally, the Bitrate
should be at least 400kbps no?


#5

I believe the estimated bandwidth value that you see in the GUI is what Chrome sends in the REMBs. The actual bitrate sent by the bridge also depends on packet loss. If there’s < 2% of packet loss, the bitrate send by the bridge should eventually reach the estimated bandwidth, provided that the sender is sending a stream that fits in the bandwidth estimation.

···

On Jun 20, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org> wrote:

On 16/06/2017 10:02, KHAIT Hamza - SG/SPSSI/CPII/DOSE/ET/PNE ANNUAIRE ET MESSAGERIE wrote:

Hello Boris,

Testing with beta.meet.jit.si shows that the parameters do end up in
the setRemoteDescription() call for the connection to the bridge. But
they are not there for the p2p connection.

Do you expect to see them for p2p or for the bridge connection? Do you
see the options propagate to the SDP in the remote description?

I do see these parameters in setRemoteDescription() as :
a=fmtp:100 x-google-min-bitrate=400; x-google-start-bitrate=800
In the UI (network section) I see for instance that the estimated
bandwidth is 700kbps and the Bitrate 291kbps. Normally, the Bitrate
should be at least 400kbps no?

Yes, I think it should be at least 400kbps with the above settings.

I would suggest to look at the graphs in chrome://webrtc-internals directly (look for "bwe") instead of the jitsi-meet UI.

Regards,
Boris

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev