[jitsi-dev] Re: How to reduce dropped packets

Hi Boris,

what's going on is that I hear the sound quality degrading, and the number of dropped packets in the info window go up. So it is as you said, it's the discarded packets. I tried the Opus codec, just to realize, that the sound quality is completely nuts. I don't know why. I should give Silk a try.

Conrad

···

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von: Boris Grozev
Gesendet: 23.11.12 10:21 Uhr
An: dev@jitsi.java.net
Betreff: [jitsi-dev] Re: How to reduce dropped packets

Hello, Conrad

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Conrad Beckert < conrad_videokonferenz@gmx.de > wrote:
Hi

in conversations i get regularily moments where the number of dropped packets go up and the sound gets choppy (on my side). As on most of my routes a jingle nodes proxy is involved, I suspect that this might be the reason. Could it be that the packets get dropped due to TTL expired?
How do you detect the packets being dropped? Are they lost somewhere in the network, or are they received by Jitsi and then dropped? The latter would be indicated in the "discarded packets" field in the call info window in Jitsi.

One thing you could do to alleviate the symptoms somewhat is to use the Opus or SILK codecs, which use FEC and are able to partially restore some of the missing packets.

Regards,
Boris

Bitte antworten an/Please reply to/Por favor conteste a:
conrad_b@iname.com

Hello,

Hi Boris,

what's going on is that I hear the sound quality degrading, and the number
of dropped packets in the info window go up. So it is as you said, it's the
discarded packets. I tried the Opus codec, just to realize, that the sound
quality is completely nuts. I don't know why. I should give Silk a try.

Conrad

Just yesterday in r10105 we addressed an issue which caused bad sound
quality in some cases (particularly with FEC). Could you try with the
latest build and see if that helps?

If this still persists, please attach the log files[0], so we can better
understand what the problem is.

Regards,
Boris

[0] https://jitsi.org/index.php/Documentation/FAQ#logs

···

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Conrad Beckert < conrad_videokonferenz@gmx.de> wrote: