[jitsi-dev] Re: Desktop sharing back -> Tested

Hi Vincent

today I had the oportunity to test the reborn Desktop sharing. Here are the results:

Setup: Here Linux Mint 14 Nadja, there MacOS, both latest Jitsis

1. Getting the screen from the Mac shows a black screen with a lone bright pixel in the middle (like a broken TV). Fiddling with Full Screen and Maximize resulted in a working transmission from the far side. This is a regression as just showing the screen always worked. My Special Client (TM :slight_smile: ) is on Windows though and she hasn't upgraded Jitsi for the last couple of weeks/months.

2. Checking the sharing option lets me to manipulate and type. Typing fails to produce the german Umlaute 枚盲眉脽 and some other characters. This might be a consequence of different char sets on Mac and Linux -- though they should be UTF8 shouldn't they. While the Umlaute are a minor but anoying issue, failing to send ENTER is a major show stopper. It used to work in the old times...

3. Sending my screen to the Mac failed miserably. Obviously the screen is 1x1 pixels no matter what my partner at the far side did. Maximize and Full Screen - no avail. I can see in the info field that Jitsi actually sends video data in 1280x800.

4. An bad old enemy is back either: When sharing my screen, echo starts to appear. Probably because Port Audio is eating up all the processing power as it did before in old versions of Jitsi quite often. I have selected "Internal Audio". I haven't been able to let the connection open to hear the 1min delay as before. - This occurs only when switching from video to desktop sharing. Video telephony is brilliant. Desktop sharing alone didn't cause that much of a problem - might do, but I didn't noticed.

I hope I can help to improve

Conrad

路路路

----- Urspr眉ngliche Nachricht -----
Von: Vincent Lucas
Gesendet: 05.02.13 13:49 Uhr
An: dev@jitsi.java.net
Betreff: [jitsi-dev] Re: Desktop sharing back anytime soon???

Hello Conrad, Jitsi r10430 re-enables the desktop sharing functionality. I have not enough time to run an exhaustive test set, thus, please give it a try and give us some feedback about it. Regards, Vincent On 2/1/13 7:42 PM, Conrad Beckert wrote: > Cool, that's good news. I'm looking forward to it. > > Greetings > Conrad > > ----- Urspr眉ngliche Nachricht ----- > Von: Emil Ivov > Gesendet: 01.02.13 00:57 Uhr > An: dev@jitsi.java.net > Betreff: [jitsi-dev] Re: Desktop sharing back anytime soon??? > > Hey Conrad, On 31.01.13, 20:23, Conrad Beckert wrote: > Hi, > > I know - I might repeat myself and anoy you guys a bit, but what > happened to Desktop Sharing and when would it come back? Hopefully we would be able to bring it back next week and relese over the next 10 days Emil > I constantly > support folks over the line (including someone very special). For the > time beeing I have to replace the back-channel by voice ("Move mouse > right .- no left - click there..." :slight_smile: ) whi
ch is not so effective. I > don't whant to revert to 1.0 either (I wonder if I could install both > versions at the same time and the same user account without interfering) > > Any perspective when that option is available again? > > Thanks and have Fun @FOSSDEM - which I have to miss again (it is a bit > far away from here :frowning: ) -- but at least, there are videos. > > Greetings from Berlin, Germany > Conrad > > > -- https://jitsi.org > -- Vincent Lucas, Ph.D. Jitsi developer chenzo@jitsi.org http://jitsi.org

1. Getting the screen from the Mac shows a black screen with a lone bright pixel in the middle (like a broken TV). Fiddling with Full Screen and Maximize resulted in a working transmission from the far side. This is a regression as just showing the screen always worked. My Special Client (TM :slight_smile: ) is on Windows though and she hasn't upgraded Jitsi for the last couple of weeks/months.

I had the same issue even using the latest nightly on both ends of the connection. This only happened when the call was answered by clicking the phone icon, instead of the video icon. See
http://java.net/nonav/projects/jitsi/lists/dev/archive/2013-02/message/38

3. Sending my screen to the Mac failed miserably. Obviously the screen is 1x1 pixels no matter what my partner at the far side did. Maximize and Full Screen - no avail. I can see in the info field that Jitsi actually sends video data in 1280x800.

See above. (It might be the same issue and workaround).

路路路

On 2/7/2013 5:21 PM, Conrad Beckert wrote: