[jitsi-dev] Re: Chat window


#1

Hi,

I like the new Interface as it is more functional. Gone are the buttons to mark text as bold etc. I've hardly used them, and if, they caused a disconnect of the remote partner. No no tears about them. As IM is typing and not "mousing" - probably *bold* and +italic+ would do the job better.

It would be a dream to be able to drag a file onto the chat window to transfer it to the person I'm chatting with. Is that hard to implement? It is kind of difficil to pick the file with the file open dialog wich - at least in Ubuntu - doesn't feature file modification times - nor allow to sort the file list according to midification time.

Bit for bit - SC/Jitsi gets better, nice to follow :slight_smile:
Greetings
Conrad

···

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von: Emil Ivov
Gesendet: 29.01.11 11:31 Uhr
An: Lyubomir Marinov
Betreff: [jitsi-dev] Re: Chat window

На 28.01.11 20:41, Lyubomir Marinov написа: > I'm forwarding Fabio's reply to the dev mailing list. Thanks > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Fabio Telme <fabio@telme.sg> wrote: >> Hi >> >> Thanks for the answer but it is strange because it looks like a broken UI There are still a few issues with the new interface and they'll be fixed shortly. Most probably however some of us would be feeling uncomfortable because we are not used to it, so let's give it some time. Many people have been complaining about the unnecessary space that the edit bar and the various borders were taking and how oldish this looked. Besides, most IM applications today, whether they have a rich client-side or a web interface, do not have send buttons and such, so it's time we tried this too. Cheers, Emil >> >> Regards >> Fabio >> >> Il giorno 28/gen/2011, alle ore 19.21, Lyubomir Marinov ha scritto: >> >>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Fabio Telme <fabio@telme.sg> wrote: >>>> why the chat win
dow looks like this on MAC ? on the input text area it miss everything.... >>> >>> According to r8204 by Yana, it is a new "[e]nhanced chat window interface".

Bitte antworten an/Please reply to/Por favor conteste a:
conrad_b@iname.com


#2

Hey Conrad,

На 29.01.11 15:11, Conrad Beckert написа:

Hi,

I like the new Interface as it is more functional. Gone are the buttons
to mark text as bold etc. I've hardly used them, and if, they caused a
disconnect of the remote partner. No no tears about them. As IM is
typing and not "mousing" - probably *bold* and +italic+ would do the job
better.

Glad to hear someone else feels the same way :slight_smile:

It would be a dream to be able to drag a file onto the chat window to
transfer it to the person I'm chatting with.

Oh but you can! Just make sure that the currently selected protocol
supports file transfer. Or maybe it doesn't work for you for some
reason? We'd need logs if this is the case.

Bit for bit - SC/Jitsi gets better, nice to follow :slight_smile:

Glad to have you on board!

Cheers,
Emil

···

Greetings
Conrad

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----

Von: Emil Ivov

Gesendet: 29.01.11 11:31 Uhr

An: Lyubomir Marinov

Betreff: [jitsi-dev] Re: Chat window

На 28.01.11 20:41, Lyubomir Marinov написа:
> I'm forwarding Fabio's reply to the dev mailing list.

Thanks

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Fabio Telme <fabio@telme.sg> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for the answer but it is strange because it looks like a broken UI

There are still a few issues with the new interface and they'll be fixed
shortly. Most probably however some of us would be feeling uncomfortable
because we are not used to it, so let's give it some time.

Many people have been complaining about the unnecessary space that the
edit bar and the various borders were taking and how oldish this looked.

Besides, most IM applications today, whether they have a rich
client-side or a web interface, do not have send buttons and such, so
it's time we tried this too.

Cheers,
Emil
>>
>> Regards
>> Fabio
>>
>> Il giorno 28/gen/2011, alle ore 19.21, Lyubomir Marinov ha scritto:
>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Fabio Telme <fabio@telme.sg> wrote:
>>>> why the chat window looks like this on MAC ? on the input text area it miss everything....
>>>
>>> According to r8204 by Yana, it is a new "[e]nhanced chat window interface".

Bitte antworten an/Please reply to/Por favor conteste a:
conrad_b@iname.com

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
SIP Communicator
emcho@sip-communicator.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://sip-communicator.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#3

> It would be a dream to be able to drag a file onto the chat window to
> transfer it to the person I'm chatting with.

Oh but you can! Just make sure that the currently selected protocol
supports file transfer. Or maybe it doesn't work for you for some
reason? We'd need logs if this is the case

No, unfortunately I can't. I have two jabber accounts - connected with each other. Jabber can do FT.

Then I dragged a file from the Desktop into the chat window. It got recjected. (the icon just flies back to its origin)

My system is Ubuntu 10.10 on Gnome.

Is it supposed to work like that?

Opening the file with the icon (document+right arrow) in the chat window and picking it with the not so nice (at least in Ubuntu) file dialog works perfectly well.

Conrad


#4

Hi Conrad,

It would be a dream to be able to drag a file onto the chat window to
transfer it to the person I'm chatting with.

Oh but you can! Just make sure that the currently selected protocol
supports file transfer. Or maybe it doesn't work for you for some
reason? We'd need logs if this is the case

No, unfortunately I can't. I have two jabber accounts - connected with each other. Jabber can do FT.

Then I dragged a file from the Desktop into the chat window. It got recjected. (the icon just flies back to its origin)

My system is Ubuntu 10.10 on Gnome.

Is it supposed to work like that?

It is and it works fine on my Mac OSX. However Damian just confirmed me off-list that it doesn't work for him neither on Ubuntu. Anyone else could share their experience on Windows ?

Conrad, could you please enter an issue ?

Thanks!
Yana

···

On Jan 31, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Conrad Beckert wrote:

Opening the file with the icon (document+right arrow) in the chat window and picking it with the not so nice (at least in Ubuntu) file dialog works perfectly well.

Conrad


#5

Drag and drop Initiates the file transfer in Windows Vista

···

From: Yana Stamcheva [mailto:yana@sip-communicator.org]

Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:24 AM
To: Conrad Beckert
Cc:
Subject: [jitsi-dev] Re: Chat window

Hi Conrad,

On Jan 31, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Conrad Beckert wrote:

It would be a dream to be able to drag a file onto the chat window to
transfer it to the person I'm chatting with.

Oh but you can! Just make sure that the currently selected protocol
supports file transfer. Or maybe it doesn't work for you for some
reason? We'd need logs if this is the case

No, unfortunately I can't. I have two jabber accounts - connected with each other. Jabber can do FT.

Then I dragged a file from the Desktop into the chat window. It got recjected. (the icon just flies back to its origin)

My system is Ubuntu 10.10 on Gnome.

Is it supposed to work like that?

It is and it works fine on my Mac OSX. However Damian just confirmed me off-list that it doesn't work for him neither on Ubuntu. Anyone else could share their experience on Windows ?

Conrad, could you please enter an issue ?

Thanks!
Yana

Opening the file with the icon (document+right arrow) in the chat window and picking it with the not so nice (at least in Ubuntu) file dialog works perfectly well.

Conrad

________________________________

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com<http://www.avg.com>
Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1435/3414 - Release Date: 01/31/11


#6

Windows 7 here and dropping files in the chat window seems to initiate
file transfers.

···

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Yana Stamcheva <yana@sip-communicator.org> wrote:

Anyone else could share their experience on Windows ?


#7

Conrad, could you please enter an issue ?<<

Just created issue 905

Greetings
Conrad


#8

Hi Conrad,

can you try build.3282, files drag and drop under Linux must be working now :slight_smile:

Thanks
damencho

···

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Conrad Beckert <conrad_videokonferenz@gmx.de> wrote:

Conrad, could you please enter an issue ?<<

Just created issue 905

Greetings
Conrad


#9

Hi,

I've dragged a file from the Gnome desktop to the chat window - and it got sent as expected. We can close the issue.

Thank you for your work

Conrad

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

···

Datum: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 19:17:49 +0200
Von: Damian Minkov <damencho@sip-communicator.org>
An: Conrad Beckert <conrad_videokonferenz@gmx.de>
CC: Yana Stamcheva <yana@sip-communicator.org>, dev@jitsi.java.net
Betreff: [jitsi-dev] Re: Chat window

Hi Conrad,

can you try build.3282, files drag and drop under Linux must be working
now :slight_smile:

Thanks
damencho

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Conrad Beckert > <conrad_videokonferenz@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>Conrad, could you please enter an issue ?<<
> Just created issue 905
>
> Greetings
> Conrad
>