[jitsi-dev] Problem when logging in using branch smack4-2

Hello all,

Is anyone else facing the same problem as I do when using the branch
smack4-2 and trying to connect to any server?

Since the month of January I have been facing the following problem when
trying to connect to any server using the branch smack4-2. In this case I
am trying to connect to my own one. The received packets are:

<?xml version='1.0'?><stream:stream xmlns:stream='
http://etherx.jabber.org/streams' version='1.0' from='example.org'
id='2ceeb114-241f-43d4-981c-3792d16d1465' xml:lang='en'
xmlns='jabber:client'><stream:features><mechanisms
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><mechanism>SCRAM-SHA-1</mechanism><mechanism>DIGEST-MD5</mechanism></mechanisms></stream:features>
<failure
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><malformed-request/><text>Invalid
username.</text></failure>
<presence id='e97Y1-30' type='error'><error
type='cancel'><service-unavailable
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/></error></presence>
</stream:stream>

Also, you can see the smack window in the attached file.

Finally, I found that the problem might be related with the smack library
as I am getting this in the console:

2018-02-15 12:26:31.485 SEVERE: [74]
org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.run() Exception in async
packet listener
     [java] java.lang.NullPointerException
     [java] at
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.replaceNode(ConcurrentHashMap.java:1106)
     [java] at
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.remove(ConcurrentHashMap.java:1097)
     [java] at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.extensions.caps.EntityCapsManager.removeUserCapsNode(EntityCapsManager.java:362)
     [java] at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.extensions.caps.EntityCapsManager$CapsPacketListener.processStanza(EntityCapsManager.java:941)
     [java] at
org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection$4.run(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:1198)
     [java] at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
     [java] at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
     [java] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

And after checking the code I found that the exception is thrown when using
the "login" method in the LoginByPasswordStrategy.java class.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks.

It looks like this happens because the presence packet you receive doesn't have a "from" field. I don't know how we handle this is master. I think the EntityCapsManager doesn't care about presence without "from", so it should be safe to just add a null check in processStanza (line ~900).

Regards,
Boris

···

On 15/02/2018 07:26, Max Chmutov wrote:

Hello all,

Is anyone else facing the same problem as I do when using the branch smack4-2 and trying to connect to any server?

Since the month of January I have been facing the following problem when trying to connect to any server using the branch smack4-2. In this case I am trying to connect to my own one. The received packets are:

<?xml version='1.0'?><stream:stream xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams' version='1.0' from='example.org <http://example.org>' id='2ceeb114-241f-43d4-981c-3792d16d1465' xml:lang='en' xmlns='jabber:client'><stream:features><mechanisms xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><mechanism>SCRAM-SHA-1</mechanism><mechanism>DIGEST-MD5</mechanism></mechanisms></stream:features>
<failure xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><malformed-request/><text>Invalid username.</text></failure>
<presence id='e97Y1-30' type='error'><error type='cancel'><service-unavailable xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/></error></presence>
</stream:stream>

Also, you can see the smack window in the attached file.

Finally, I found that the problem might be related with the smack library as I am getting this in the console:

2018-02-15 12:26:31.485 SEVERE: [74] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.run() Exception in async packet listener
[java] java.lang.NullPointerException
[java] at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.replaceNode(ConcurrentHashMap.java:1106)
[java] at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.remove(ConcurrentHashMap.java:1097)
[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.extensions.caps.EntityCapsManager.removeUserCapsNode(EntityCapsManager.java:362)
[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.extensions.caps.EntityCapsManager$CapsPacketListener.processStanza(EntityCapsManager.java:941)
[java] at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection$4.run(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:1198)
[java] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
[java] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
[java] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

And after checking the code I found that the exception is thrown when using the "login" method in the LoginByPasswordStrategy.java class.

Any idea or suggestion?