[jitsi-dev] One-to-one messaging within jitsi-meet

Hi Saúl,

I can’t really go into specifics, but I’m working on a proof of concept for adding a priority data stream to a video chat system (preferably peer-to-peer and encrypted). We’ve got an implementation of the data stream working over pure websockets already, but we’re trying to extend the transport layer to integrate with systems like jitsi. The messages (or commands/packets) are JSON objects, created by and parsed by clients on other sides of a websocket connection (currently we have a client server model, but are hoping to build on existing technologies to add client-to-client support).

Basically, we want to be able to add a plugin into jitsi-meet that lets you send one of these JSON objects to a specific member of the conference, and receive objects from other members. Again, preferably in a peer-2-peer basis.

Thanks,

Nick

···

On 18 Aug 2017 3:47 pm, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé scorretge@atlassian.com wrote:

On Aug 17, 2017, at 19:08, Nick Poole nickpoole@black-sphere.co.uk wrote:

Thanks Saúl,

Does this mean that it is possible to get access to the XMPP client object to send messages to specific users? If so, are there any examples or pointers for doing so?

Do you mean from the JS side? Using our iframe API? Or a generic XMPP client?

I was imagining that within the JS API, there’d be an XMPP client that’s performing the MUC send/receive, and that such a client might be able to send/receive other arbitrary XMPP commands (like user-to-user messaging).

If you dig deep enough probably yes, I can’t point you to the exact point in the code though.

Additionally, I’d like to try setting up an additional data channel between specific users for arbitrary data streaming on a per-user basis, but the API only appears to allow for new channels to be opened to the room as a whole. Is there something I’m missing, or is data always related by the videobridge server and never by STUN/TURN?

Currently there is no builtin mechanism for direct communication between peers.

Is there a pattern for doing this outside of the builtin mechanisms? Or would I need to establish an entirely new WebRTC connection between the two clients somehow?

You’d need to have a separate peer connection.

What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe there is a simpler way to do it :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Saúl

dev mailing list

dev@jitsi.org

Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev