[jitsi-dev] Noise Suppression option for PulseAudio?


#1

Hi,

I was looking through Jitsi settings, and found that on Linux, PortAudio
backend has "Echo Cancellation" and "Noise suppression" options, while
PulseAudio does not have these options.

I saw a discussion about "Echo Cancellation" earlier, where you can enable
it in PulseAudio using an environment variable (assuming it's enabled for
PulseAudio at compile time).

What about noise suppression though? Does it filter or suppress background
noise? Are there any plans to bring it to PulseAudio?

-Sandeep


#2

Bump. Are there any plans for supporting noise suppression on PulseAudio as well? How about on Windows? I am asking about a feature to remove/reduce background noise from audio.

- Sandeep

···

On 23/06/14 18:37, Sandeep wrote:

Hi,

I was looking through Jitsi settings, and found that on Linux, PortAudio
backend has �Echo Cancellation� and �Noise suppression� options, while
PulseAudio does not have these options.

I saw a discussion about "Echo Cancellation" earlier, where you can
enable it in PulseAudio using an environment variable (assuming it's
enabled for PulseAudio at compile time).

What about noise suppression though? Does it filter or suppress
background noise? Are there any plans to bring it to PulseAudio?

-Sandeep


#3

I am not aware of anyone working on the pulse audio part. Jitsi on Windows
already uses wasapi for this though.

--sent from my mobile

···

On 26 Jun 2014 10:30 AM, "Sandeep Raghuraman" <sandy.8925@gmail.com> wrote:

Bump. Are there any plans for supporting noise suppression on PulseAudio
as well? How about on Windows? I am asking about a feature to remove/reduce
background noise from audio.

- Sandeep

On 23/06/14 18:37, Sandeep wrote:

Hi,

I was looking through Jitsi settings, and found that on Linux, PortAudio
backend has “Echo Cancellation” and “Noise suppression” options, while
PulseAudio does not have these options.

I saw a discussion about "Echo Cancellation" earlier, where you can
enable it in PulseAudio using an environment variable (assuming it's
enabled for PulseAudio at compile time).

What about noise suppression though? Does it filter or suppress
background noise? Are there any plans to bring it to PulseAudio?

-Sandeep

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev


#4

You can use pulseaudio's echo cancelling device for this (i dont know whats the minimal pulseaudio version for this, it worked for me with 3 through 5). Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa and add the line
load-module module-echo-cancel
at the end. Restart pulseaudio and you should have a new device in both recording and playback, make sure you select them in the audio settings.
I use this setup with mic and desktop speakers and have next to no interference.
This device can be used in any application.

···

On 6/26/2014 10:35 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

I am not aware of anyone working on the pulse audio part. Jitsi on Windows already uses wasapi for this though.

--sent from my mobile

On 26 Jun 2014 10:30 AM, "Sandeep Raghuraman" <sandy.8925@gmail.com > <mailto:sandy.8925@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Bump. Are there any plans for supporting noise suppression on
    PulseAudio as well? How about on Windows? I am asking about a
    feature to remove/reduce background noise from audio.

    - Sandeep

    On 23/06/14 18:37, Sandeep wrote:

        Hi,

        I was looking through Jitsi settings, and found that on Linux,
        PortAudio
        backend has "Echo Cancellation" and "Noise suppression"
        options, while
        PulseAudio does not have these options.

        I saw a discussion about "Echo Cancellation" earlier, where
        you can
        enable it in PulseAudio using an environment variable
        (assuming it's
        enabled for PulseAudio at compile time).

        What about noise suppression though? Does it filter or suppress
        background noise? Are there any plans to bring it to PulseAudio?

        -Sandeep

    _______________________________________________
    dev mailing list
    dev@jitsi.org <mailto:dev@jitsi.org>
    Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
    http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev


#5

Ok, thank you for replying.

Does wasapi only provide echo cancellation, or does it filter out
background noise as well? For example, say the noise of a fan/heater/air
conditioner etc. that may be in the background.

- Sandeep

···

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 12:35 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

I am not aware of anyone working on the pulse audio part. Jitsi on Windows
already uses wasapi for this though.

--sent from my mobile
On 26 Jun 2014 10:30 AM, "Sandeep Raghuraman" <sandy.8925@gmail.com> > wrote:

Bump. Are there any plans for supporting noise suppression on PulseAudio
as well? How about on Windows? I am asking about a feature to remove/reduce
background noise from audio.

- Sandeep

On 23/06/14 18:37, Sandeep wrote:

Hi,

I was looking through Jitsi settings, and found that on Linux, PortAudio
backend has "Echo Cancellation" and "Noise suppression" options, while
PulseAudio does not have these options.

I saw a discussion about "Echo Cancellation" earlier, where you can
enable it in PulseAudio using an environment variable (assuming it's
enabled for PulseAudio at compile time).

What about noise suppression though? Does it filter or suppress
background noise? Are there any plans to bring it to PulseAudio?

-Sandeep

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev


#6

Thank you! I will try that.

Based on an earlier mailing list thread, I was launching Jitsi after using
this environment variable:

export PULSE_PROP="filter.want=echo-cancel"

Will this have the same effect, or are they different?

I am interested in filtering/removing background noise as well, and not
just echo cancellation. For example, say the noise of a fan/heater/air
conditioner etc. that may be in the background.

- Sandeep

···

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Laszlo Kertesz <laszlo.kertesz@gmail.com> wrote:

You can use pulseaudio's echo cancelling device for this (i dont know
whats the minimal pulseaudio version for this, it worked for me with 3
through 5). Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa and add the line
load-module module-echo-cancel
at the end. Restart pulseaudio and you should have a new device in both
recording and playback, make sure you select them in the audio settings.
I use this setup with mic and desktop speakers and have next to no
interference.
This device can be used in any application.


#7

I checked out the options in Jitsi for Windows. There is a noise suppression option as well for WASAPI, so my question is answered. I'm not entirely sure if it does what I want, but it's there.

- Sandeep

···

On 26/06/14 16:12, Sandeep wrote:

Ok, thank you for replying.

Does wasapi only provide echo cancellation, or does it filter out
background noise as well? For example, say the noise of a fan/heater/air
conditioner etc. that may be in the background.

- Sandeep

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 12:35 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:

    I am not aware of anyone working on the pulse audio part. Jitsi on
    Windows already uses wasapi for this though.

    --sent from my mobile