[jitsi-dev] Next stable release


#1

Hello all,

The last stable Jitsi release was 2.2.4603.9615 on 30.April.2013. Since then we have made a lot of fixes and have introduced several new features like the move to WASAPI and echo cancellation on Windows, the MUC fixes and many others. There are quite some occasions of users of the stable build line reporting problems that are fixed in the latest nightly builds and we direct them to try them out, but some people just like to stick to the stable. So maybe the time has come for us to roll out the next stable release.

What do you think?

-- Pavel Tankov


#2

The last stable Jitsi release was 2.2.4603.9615 on 30.April.2013. Since

then

we have made a lot of fixes and have introduced several new features like

the

move to WASAPI and echo cancellation on Windows, the MUC fixes and many
others. There are quite some occasions of users of the stable build line
reporting problems that are fixed in the latest nightly builds and we

direct

them to try them out, but some people just like to stick to the stable. So
maybe the time has come for us to roll out the next stable release.

What do you think?

I wanted to integrate the patch [1] that moves the log and cache locations
this week, but I think this shouldn't happen very soon before a stable
release.

Also I had hoped Lyubomir might have a chance to find out why a WASAPI
stream wasn't completely closed when doing lots of outbound calls [2].

But in general I agree that it would be about time for one.

-- Pavel Tankov

Ingo

[1] http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2013-August/017995.html
[2] http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2013-August/018064.html


#3

Hey all,

The last stable Jitsi release was 2.2.4603.9615 on 30.April.2013. Since

then

we have made a lot of fixes and have introduced several new features like

the

move to WASAPI and echo cancellation on Windows, the MUC fixes and many
others. There are quite some occasions of users of the stable build line
reporting problems that are fixed in the latest nightly builds and we

direct

them to try them out, but some people just like to stick to the stable. So
maybe the time has come for us to roll out the next stable release.

What do you think?

I wanted to integrate the patch [1] that moves the log and cache locations
this week, but I think this shouldn't happen very soon before a stable
release.

Yes, we'd better wait.

Also I had hoped Lyubomir might have a chance to find out why a WASAPI
stream wasn't completely closed when doing lots of outbound calls [2].

Lyubo, I know you will be travelling next week so I guess unless you
have a rough idea what this problem is, we probably won't be able to
look at it for at least a couple of weeks.

Ingo do you feel this is serious enough for us to block the release?

But in general I agree that it would be about time for one.

Yes, +1

Emil

···

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Ingo Bauersachs <ingo@jitsi.org> wrote:

-- Pavel Tankov

Ingo

[1] http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2013-August/017995.html
[2] http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2013-August/018064.html

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
https://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#4

Also I had hoped Lyubomir might have a chance to find out why a WASAPI
stream wasn't completely closed when doing lots of outbound calls [2].

Lyubo, I know you will be travelling next week so I guess unless you
have a rough idea what this problem is, we probably won't be able to
look at it for at least a couple of weeks.

Ingo do you feel this is serious enough for us to block the release?

Well, I had it a few times and the "silent" hang is anything but obvious. At
least for me at work it could become problematic with the switch from
PortAudio to WASAPI (I can of course go back with provisioning, but I'd
prefer WASAPI).

But in general I agree that it would be about time for one.

Yes, +1

Emil

Ingo


#5

На 28.8.2013 г. 15:01, Emil Ivov написа:

Also I had hoped Lyubomir might have a chance to find out why a WASAPI
stream wasn't completely closed when doing lots of outbound calls [2].

Lyubo, I know you will be travelling next week so I guess unless you
have a rough idea what this problem is, we probably won't be able to
look at it for at least a couple of weeks.

I looked at Ingo's thread dump again today and I think I may be able to make modifications in response.


#6

So do I understand you properly that you'd vote against a release
before this has been fixed?

···

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Ingo Bauersachs <ingo@jitsi.org> wrote:

Also I had hoped Lyubomir might have a chance to find out why a WASAPI
stream wasn't completely closed when doing lots of outbound calls [2].

Lyubo, I know you will be travelling next week so I guess unless you
have a rough idea what this problem is, we probably won't be able to
look at it for at least a couple of weeks.

Ingo do you feel this is serious enough for us to block the release?

Well, I had it a few times and the "silent" hang is anything but obvious. At
least for me at work it could become problematic with the switch from
PortAudio to WASAPI (I can of course go back with provisioning, but I'd
prefer WASAPI).

But in general I agree that it would be about time for one.

Yes, +1

Emil

Ingo

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
https://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#7

Thanks!

Emil

···

On 28.08.13, 14:52, Lyubomir Marinov wrote:

На 28.8.2013 г. 15:01, Emil Ivov написа:

Also I had hoped Lyubomir might have a chance to find out why a WASAPI
stream wasn't completely closed when doing lots of outbound calls [2].

Lyubo, I know you will be travelling next week so I guess unless you
have a rough idea what this problem is, we probably won't be able to
look at it for at least a couple of weeks.

I looked at Ingo's thread dump again today and I think I may be able to
make modifications in response.

--
https://jitsi.org


#8

So do I understand you properly that you'd vote against a release
before this has been fixed?

Yes, but not mandatorily fixed, rather looked into to either fix it or to
determine that it would be too complex for the time being.

Ingo