[jitsi-dev] New to Jitsi!

Hi everyone,

I am a computer science student from Singapore, and I would like to participate Google Summer of Code under Jitsi. I have cloned the git repository to my machine and I am currently looking through the source code in Eclipse. I would like to get used to the code by trying to solve an issue. Could someone recommend me one, or give me another direction to approach? Thanks in advance.

Han

Hi Han,

I’d be happy to chat about Jibri development and ideas for how to integrate to other platforms. I think it’d be pretty easy to adapt, I just haven’t had the time myself.

We’re low on documentation too because it’s been an experiment that we’ve considered re-writing in Java as well.

I’ll try to spend some soon in improving the installation instructions, and adding better comments explaining the program flow.

I’m also open to ideas or PRs for making jibri better/easier to use. Please let me know if there’s a specific think you’re interested in improving there.

On the other hand, if you’re new to Jitsi in general, you might find better luck/satisfaction with a small task around the main jitsi-meet web UI rather than digging immediately into the recording element. The main group of projects (jitsi-meet, jicofo, jitsi-videobridge) are easier to install/set up than Jibri (as Roy can attest to) at the moment, and I wouldn’t want to get a new person discouraged before they’d gotten started.

I’ll let the rest of the team weigh in as well, but I’d suggest you start by setting up a single standalone machine with the debian/ubuntu packages which can successfully run a video chat in two tabs in chrome. Once you’ve got that, you can try doing your own build of jitsi-meet which you can copy over the package-deployed version. At that point you’re ready to be customizing a working jitsi-meet install. If you then want to play with adding Jibri you can think about setting up a separate jibri instance at that point.

Cheers,

-Aaron

···

On Mar 16, 2017, at 22:14, Han Gyeol Oh <leook0209@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to cc Aaron in the previous email. I'll repeat what I said.

>Great! I am particularly interested in adding support for Facebook streaming. So, I guess currently Jibri only supports Youtube streaming and you wanna add a Facebook streaming option as well? Am I supposed to use >existing XMPP client to do that? I am still quite puzzled by the code and the documentation so please be patient with me.

On 17 March 2017 at 11:05, Han Gyeol Oh <leook0209@gmail.com <mailto:leook0209@gmail.com>> wrote:
Great! I am particularly interested in adding support for Facebook streaming. So, I guess currently Jibri only supports Youtube streaming and you wanna add a Facebook streaming option as well? Am I supposed to use existing XMPP client to do that? I am still quite puzzled by the code and the documentation so please be patient with me.

On 17 March 2017 at 01:37, <royblog@comcast.net <mailto:royblog@comcast.net>> wrote:
Han,

I am sure you will receive numerous suggestions.

Here is one, which vexes larger Jitsi community:

Add to Jibri streaming installation documentation, docker implementation, and add support for Facebook streaming.
Aaron, leading Atlasian development for Jibri, may have additional thoughts.

From: "Han" <leook0209@gmail.com <mailto:leook0209@gmail.com>>
To: dev@jitsi.org <mailto:dev@jitsi.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:16:41 AM
Subject: [jitsi-dev] New to Jitsi!

Hi everyone,

I am a computer science student from Singapore, and I would like to
participate Google Summer of Code under Jitsi. I have cloned the git
repository to my machine and I am currently looking through the source
code in Eclipse. I would like to get used to the code by trying to solve
an issue. Could someone recommend me one, or give me another direction
to approach? Thanks in advance.

Han