[jitsi-dev] (modules of) jitsi as framework for reuse

Hi,

currently i am developing a new binding for openhab (www.openhab.org) which is an osgi-based platform for home automation purposes. The SIP binding should enhance openhab in such way that:

* calls could be "answered" to trigger special actions with respect to given destination and origination number
* calls could be initiated to let openhab "talk" you through the given TTS (text to speech) binding and inform you about certain states of your home

After some research i stumbled upon "jitsi".

I am asking myself whether parts of jitsi could be reused as "SIP-driver" in openHAB? Could you point me to the right resources in your project? Is there any documentation regarding reuse as framework which could help me further?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thomas E.-E.

I don't want to disgrace jitsi here, but I actually assume you want to
study asterisk, it should do what you want out of the box.

Ulno

···

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 16:33, Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen <te@eichstaedt.net> wrote:

Hi,

currently i am developing a new binding for openhab (www.openhab.org) which is an osgi-based platform for home automation purposes. The SIP binding should enhance openhab in such way that:

* calls could be "answered" to trigger special actions with respect to given destination and origination number
* calls could be initiated to let openhab "talk" you through the given TTS (text to speech) binding and inform you about certain states of your home

I am asking myself whether parts of jitsi could be reused as "SIP-driver" in openHAB? Could you point me to the right resources in your project? Is there any documentation regarding reuse as framework which could help me further?

Thomas E.-E.

--
title+name: Dr. Ulrich Norbisrath
web: http://ulno.net; address+phone+fax: http://ulno.net/contact

thanks for your reply!

I don't want to disgrace jitsi here, but I actually assume you want to
study asterisk, it should do what you want out of the box.

you are right, asterisk could probably do that (probably out of the box) but i'd like to be platform independent. The openHAB user should only have one system to configure. As telephony hardware one could use AVM Fritzbox or similar which is (more ore less) zero configuration as well.

Thomas,

The SIP protocol implementation in Jitsi lives in an OSGi bundle of
its own. You can definitely use it from within other bundles for any
of the features it currently supports. For example, everything that
the GUI does ta initiate, receive and process calls, it does through
the OSGi service interfaces, so you can do all these things too.

It is of course worth noting that Jitsi's primary focus is on the User
Agent use case so features that do not fall into that category may be
somewhat clumsy to implement with the Jitsi framework in its current
state.

Cheers,
Emil

···

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen <te@eichstaedt.net> wrote:

Hi,

Thomas E.-E.

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31

Emil,

thanks for quick and promising answer!

Since the project is quite huge actually, could you point me to some good example classes which makes use of the SIP-services?

Cheers,

Thomas E.-E.

···

On Jan 9, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

Thomas,

state.

Cheers,
Emil

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen > <te@eichstaedt.net> wrote:

Hi,

Thomas E.-E.

--
Project Lead France
Jitsi

Everything happens through the operation sets in the protocol provider
packages (i.e. net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol). The
implementation is in net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.

You may also want to have a look into the Jitsi chapter of "The
Architecture of Open Source Applications"

http://www.aosabook.org/en/jitsi.html

Hope this helps,
Emil

···

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen <te@eichstaedt.net> wrote:

Emil,

thanks for quick and promising answer!

Since the project is quite huge actually, could you point me to some good example classes which makes use of the SIP-services?

Cheers,

Thomas E.-E.

On Jan 9, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

Thomas,

state.

Cheers,
Emil

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Thomas Eichstädt-Engelen >> <te@eichstaedt.net> wrote:

Hi,

Thomas E.-E.

--
Project Lead France
Jitsi

--
Project Lead France
Jitsi