[jitsi-dev] Mixer mode in Jitsi-videobridge

Hi,

I use JVB using REST APIs. So far I’ve used translator mode and it’s working fine for me but since my users are from India and bandwidths here are not very good, I need to use mixer mode. Does it work fine? I saw in many mails that you guys recommend using the translator mode but I must use the mixer mode. Does recording on JVB works fine on this mode?

Regards,
Somil Bansal

Hi,

I use JVB using REST APIs. So far I’ve used translator mode and it’s
working fine for me but since my users are from India and bandwidths
here are not very good, I need to use mixer mode. Does it work fine?
I saw in many mails that you guys recommend using the translator mode
but I must use the mixer mode.

We don't use the mixing mode in jitsi-meet, but I think other people do. We received some patches recently fixing problems, so I expect it to work.

Does recording on JVB works fine on
this mode?

The built-in recorder in the bridge will not work.

Regards,
Boris

···

On 28/03/16 03:56, Somil Bansal wrote:

Thanks for the information.

Is there any reason other than extra CPU power requirement for mixer, that translator mode is recommended by you guys.

Also I need recording of separate audio streams in mixer mode. Can you point me in the right direction for where to change.

···

On 28-Mar-2016, at 8:22 PM, Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org> wrote:

On 28/03/16 03:56, Somil Bansal wrote:

Hi,

I use JVB using REST APIs. So far I’ve used translator mode and it’s
working fine for me but since my users are from India and bandwidths
here are not very good, I need to use mixer mode. Does it work fine?
I saw in many mails that you guys recommend using the translator mode
but I must use the mixer mode.

We don't use the mixing mode in jitsi-meet, but I think other people do. We received some patches recently fixing problems, so I expect it to work.

Does recording on JVB works fine on
this mode?

The built-in recorder in the bridge will not work.

Regards,
Boris

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

Is there any reason other than extra CPU power requirement for mixer,
that translator mode is recommended by you guys.

That's the main reason. But the tradeoff is huge (you need to decode all incoming streams, create a separate mix for each received, and encode each, all to save something like 40kbps per (unmuted) stream).

There's also an additional delay due to the server having to use a jitter buffer, and clients can't distinguish between the different speakers (without RFC6465 support in the browser or client).

Also I need recording of separate audio streams in mixer mode. Can
you point me in the right direction for where to change.

The recorder which we use in the bridge requires an RTPTranslator. It's initialized here: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-videobridge/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jitsi/videobridge/Content.java#L758

If I remember correctly, a libjitsi MediaStream can't have both a MediaDevice and an RTPTranslator. You may be able to work around this by keeping the RTPTranslator separate from the MediaStream-s, and feeding it packets in another way (e.g. from RtpChannel#acceptDataInputStreamDatagramPacket).

Regards,
Boris

···

On 29/03/16 01:32, Somil Bansal wrote:

Thanks Boris. Saw the same getRecorder() in Content.java that’s why had doubt that recording won’t work in mixing mode. Thanks for clearing that up.

···

On 30-Mar-2016, at 7:09 AM, Boris Grozev <boris@jitsi.org> wrote:

On 29/03/16 01:32, Somil Bansal wrote:

Is there any reason other than extra CPU power requirement for mixer,
that translator mode is recommended by you guys.

That's the main reason. But the tradeoff is huge (you need to decode all incoming streams, create a separate mix for each received, and encode each, all to save something like 40kbps per (unmuted) stream).

There's also an additional delay due to the server having to use a jitter buffer, and clients can't distinguish between the different speakers (without RFC6465 support in the browser or client).

Also I need recording of separate audio streams in mixer mode. Can
you point me in the right direction for where to change.

The recorder which we use in the bridge requires an RTPTranslator. It's initialized here: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-videobridge/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jitsi/videobridge/Content.java#L758

If I remember correctly, a libjitsi MediaStream can't have both a MediaDevice and an RTPTranslator. You may be able to work around this by keeping the RTPTranslator separate from the MediaStream-s, and feeding it packets in another way (e.g. from RtpChannel#acceptDataInputStreamDatagramPacket).

Regards,
Boris

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev