[jitsi-dev] Look and Feel

Hi,

... I use a a couple of Java based programs quite often. (Freemind, SQirreL, JEdit etc.). All of them have a setting to change the so called Look and Feel. That's Metal, Nimbux, GTK+, WindowXP, etc. I wonder where I can set up this in Jitsi.

Unfortunately - my Ubuntu desktop has a dark gray menu bar mostly with white text. But Jitsi (and other JDK based programs have black letters on dark gray background) So I usually set up my Java programs to Metal or something which looks better and is easier to read.

Is there any setting in Jitsi too? I learned that the Look and Feel is part of the Swing package - so it would be probably easy to include.

Thanks for help
Conrad

Hi Conrad,

I'm afraid Jitsi doesn't currently offer the possibility to change the look&feel. It's true that it's quite easy to use look&feels with Swing, but one of the reasons why we're not currently supporting them is that we use quite a lot of customized components and the change of look&feel won't change the look actually (or it may even break something).

However, I agree that the font color problem on Ubuntu is quite annoying! We can easily fix this by explicitly setting the Menu foreground color in the UIManager, but then it may look broken in some other Ubuntu theme. On the other hand, it seems that this is the default theme on Ubuntu, so it's more important to have the interface working on it. I'll have a look and make some tests and we'll keep you informed.

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Conrad Beckert wrote:

Hi,

... I use a a couple of Java based programs quite often. (Freemind, SQirreL, JEdit etc.). All of them have a setting to change the so called Look and Feel. That's Metal, Nimbux, GTK+, WindowXP, etc. I wonder where I can set up this in Jitsi.

Unfortunately - my Ubuntu desktop has a dark gray menu bar mostly with white text. But Jitsi (and other JDK based programs have black letters on dark gray background) So I usually set up my Java programs to Metal or something which looks better and is easier to read.

Is there any setting in Jitsi too? I learned that the Look and Feel is part of the Swing package - so it would be probably easy to include.

Thanks for help
Conrad

Hey Yana

I'm afraid Jitsi doesn't currently offer the possibility to change the
look&feel. It's true that it's quite easy to use look&feels with Swing, but
one of the reasons why we're not currently supporting them is that we use
quite a lot of customized components and the change of look&feel won't change
the look actually (or it may even break something).

What do you think about adding a setting (config-file only, no UI) to change the L&F? If someone would want to change it, it would be possible, but unsupported of course.

However, I agree that the font color problem on Ubuntu is quite annoying! We
can easily fix this by explicitly setting the Menu foreground color in the
UIManager, but then it may look broken in some other Ubuntu theme. On the
other hand, it seems that this is the default theme on Ubuntu, so it's more
important to have the interface working on it. I'll have a look and make some
tests and we'll keep you informed.

What happens if someone selects a non-default skin that requires the colors like they are now?
Btw, I can't really follow the issue as I never had color issues on the Ubuntus I tried...

Regards,
Ingo

Hi Conrad,

I've made some testes today and I couldn't reproduce the menu foreground problem on Ubuntu. Could you please give us more information about your system? What is your Ubuntu version, which desktop are you using (Gnome, Unity..), which java version you're running (also is it the sun or openjdk) ?

Thanks!
Yana

···

On Oct 31, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Yana Stamcheva wrote:

Hi Conrad,

I'm afraid Jitsi doesn't currently offer the possibility to change the look&feel. It's true that it's quite easy to use look&feels with Swing, but one of the reasons why we're not currently supporting them is that we use quite a lot of customized components and the change of look&feel won't change the look actually (or it may even break something).

However, I agree that the font color problem on Ubuntu is quite annoying! We can easily fix this by explicitly setting the Menu foreground color in the UIManager, but then it may look broken in some other Ubuntu theme. On the other hand, it seems that this is the default theme on Ubuntu, so it's more important to have the interface working on it. I'll have a look and make some tests and we'll keep you informed.

Cheers,
Yana

On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Conrad Beckert wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for help
Conrad

Hi Yana,

I have Ubuntu Maverick with Gnome 2.2 as desktop environment, SunJDK and it looks like this (see atachment). I

Conrad

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

···

Datum: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:25:24 +0100
Von: Yana Stamcheva <yana@jitsi.org>
An: dev@jitsi.java.net
Betreff: [jitsi-dev] Re: Look and Feel

Hi Conrad,

I've made some testes today and I couldn't reproduce the menu foreground
problem on Ubuntu. Could you please give us more information about your
system? What is your Ubuntu version, which desktop are you using (Gnome,
Unity..), which java version you're running (also is it the sun or openjdk) ?

Thanks!
Yana

On Oct 31, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Yana Stamcheva wrote:

> Hi Conrad,
>
> I'm afraid Jitsi doesn't currently offer the possibility to change the
look&feel. It's true that it's quite easy to use look&feels with Swing, but
one of the reasons why we're not currently supporting them is that we use
quite a lot of customized components and the change of look&feel won't
change the look actually (or it may even break something).
>
> However, I agree that the font color problem on Ubuntu is quite
annoying! We can easily fix this by explicitly setting the Menu foreground color in
the UIManager, but then it may look broken in some other Ubuntu theme. On
the other hand, it seems that this is the default theme on Ubuntu, so it's
more important to have the interface working on it. I'll have a look and
make some tests and we'll keep you informed.
>
> Cheers,
> Yana
>
> On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Conrad Beckert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> ... I use a a couple of Java based programs quite often. (Freemind,
SQirreL, JEdit etc.). All of them have a setting to change the so called Look
and Feel. That's Metal, Nimbux, GTK+, WindowXP, etc. I wonder where I can
set up this in Jitsi.
>>
>> Unfortunately - my Ubuntu desktop has a dark gray menu bar mostly with
white text. But Jitsi (and other JDK based programs have black letters on
dark gray background) So I usually set up my Java programs to Metal or
something which looks better and is easier to read.
>>
>> Is there any setting in Jitsi too? I learned that the Look and Feel is
part of the Swing package - so it would be probably easy to include.
>>
>> Thanks for help
>> Conrad
>>
>

Hello,

I realize this thread is dated, however, I am also experiencing hidden
menu's on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Kernel 3.2, using standard Unity, but I do
have CompizManager installed for hot key mappings for window
management. I have attached a screen shot showing the issue.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Bryce
- --
Bryce Budd
Principal

Agile Paradigm, LLC
(480) 442-4453
http://www.agileparadigm.com