[jitsi-dev] Long delay until Jitsi call window opens

Dear Jitsi developers,

I am using Jitsi for quite some while now and I am very satisfied. However, after setting up Jitsi on a new computer, I encounter a problem using SIP calls:
After clicking on the call icon of SIP contact it takes between 12 and 30 seconds until the call window actually opens. This is a very long delay. Compared to my old (and much slower) computer this is about three times longer than it was before (there it was about 3-5 sec). What is the problem here? Is there a way to make Jitsi faster again?

My system:
Lenovo Thinkpad x220i, Intel i3 processor, 4GB Ram, Ubuntu 11.10, Gnome 3 (delay is the same in Unity), 64 bit, Jitsi 1.0-beta1-nightly.build.3768, OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b23~pre11-0ubuntu1.11.10), OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode).

Thanks,
Gerry

P.S. I am not using the most recent stable version 3820 of Jitsi as I encountered problems with SIP calls with it. Jitsi always was "preparing call" but after a while displayed an error message that it could not come through.