[jitsi-dev] LDAP filter - continuation

Hello Jitsi developers,
Especially Stephane Chazelas and Sebastien Vincent:
sorry to resuscitate this older thread http://java.net/nonav/projects/jitsi/lists/dev/archive/2011-11/message/48
But I really consider it useful to have a possibility to adjust the filter string for searching LDAP.
Current filter used by Jitsi (according to packet sniffer) is:

FILTER = "(|(|(|(|(|(|(|(|(uid=*stephan*)(gn=*stephan*))(sn=*stephan*))(cn=*stephan*))(givenname=*stephan*))(surname=*stephan*))(commonname=*stephan*))(displayName=*stephan*))(mail=*stephan*))"

I made some measurements of response time of LDAP search within AD with following result:

Removing of initial * in filter string decreases the response time 10 times
Let's compare:
3 seconds in case *stephan* against 0.3 seconds in case stephan*

I know, it could be caused by way of working and setup of our AD, but I believe it could help to other Jitsi users as well.

My question to Stephane is - Did You created a feature request mentioned above? Because I could not find it.

Thank You for your answers and please let me know if this return to old issues is impolite or weird.
Best Regards
Petr Valik

Hi Petr,

I have tested with an OpenLDAP server and I see no enhancement in term of "display speed" in Jitsi but I cannot tell you if LDAP server process query quickly or not as I have no access to it.

Just a thought, if we have an entry like:
uid=NAME Stephane
displayName=NAME Stephane
mail=name.stephane@domain.org

If you remove the first *, your request will returns no result. I think we should be as generic as possible (so keep the * at the beginning and the end of search string) to handle case like this and return some results.

Regards,

···

--
Seb

Le 01/12/11 09:14, Petr.Valik@tieto.com a �crit :

Hello Jitsi developers,
Especially Stephane Chazelas and Sebastien Vincent:
sorry to resuscitate this older thread http://java.net/nonav/projects/jitsi/lists/dev/archive/2011-11/message/48
But I really consider it useful to have a possibility to adjust the filter string for searching LDAP.
Current filter used by Jitsi (according to packet sniffer) is:

FILTER = "(|(|(|(|(|(|(|(|(uid=*stephan*)(gn=*stephan*))(sn=*stephan*))(cn=*stephan*))(givenname=*stephan*))(surname=*stephan*))(commonname=*stephan*))(displayName=*stephan*))(mail=*stephan*))"

I made some measurements of response time of LDAP search within AD with following result:

Removing of initial * in filter string decreases the response time 10 times
Let's compare:
3 seconds in case *stephan* against 0.3 seconds in case stephan*

I know, it could be caused by way of working and setup of our AD, but I believe it could help to other Jitsi users as well.

My question to Stephane is - Did You created a feature request mentioned above? Because I could not find it.

Thank You for your answers and please let me know if this return to old issues is impolite or weird.
Best Regards
Petr Valik

2011-12-01 10:14:12 +0200, Petr.Valik@tieto.com:
[...]

My question to Stephane is - Did You created a feature request
mentioned above? Because I could not find it.

[...]

Hi Petr,

No, sorry, I had a few major problems coming up elsewhere, so
that dropped down the bottom of my priorities and I forgot about
it.

Please feel free to raise an issue yourself, I can add my
comments later when things get back under control for me here.

Thank You for your answers and please let me know if this
return to old issues is impolite or weird.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a need for that.

···

--
Stephane