[jitsi-dev] Jitsi fails to send audio


#1

Hi,

I noticed that when I try to call a hardphone (GXP1400) configured to prefer the ulaw codec from a Win7 Jitsi client with audio codecs gsm, ulaw and alaw then everything works except for Jitsi sending audio to the hardphone (ie. as if the mic were failing). Actually, Jitsi sends audio during the first second of conversation but then remains silent. If the hardphone puts the jitsi call on hold and off hold then jitsi sends audio during another second or so then silence.
The jitsi user can hear the hardphone user just fine while the hardphone user can't hear the jitsi user.

If I call from another softphone with the same audio codecs (eg. gsm, ulaw, alaw) then all's fine and there's no issue.

I'm attaching the log and pcap because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Both Jitsi and the hardphone are connected to Asterisk.

Thanks,

Vieri

jitsi0.log.0 (62.1 KB)

jitsi0.pcap (46.8 KB)


#2

By the way, in Jitsi if I disable gsm and leave only ulaw then Jitsi sends audio just fine and the conversation is normal.
However, if I enable gsm and give it less or more priority than ulaw then it always fails (ie. jitsi doesn't send audio).

···

--- On Tue, 3/26/13, Vieri <rentorbuy@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

I noticed that when I try to call a hardphone (GXP1400)
configured to prefer the ulaw codec from a Win7 Jitsi client
with audio codecs gsm, ulaw and alaw then everything works
except for Jitsi sending audio to the hardphone (ie. as if
the mic were failing). Actually, Jitsi sends audio during
the first second of conversation but then remains silent. If
the hardphone puts the jitsi call on hold and off hold then
jitsi sends audio during another second or so then silence.
The jitsi user can hear the hardphone user just fine while
the hardphone user can't hear the jitsi user.

If I call from another softphone with the same audio codecs
(eg. gsm, ulaw, alaw) then all's fine and there's no issue.

I'm attaching the log and pcap because I don't know what I'm
doing wrong.
Both Jitsi and the hardphone are connected to Asterisk.

Thanks,

Vieri


#3

Hi,

I noticed that when I try to call a hardphone (GXP1400) configured to
prefer the ulaw codec from a Win7 Jitsi client with audio codecs gsm,
ulaw and alaw then everything works except for Jitsi sending audio to
the hardphone (ie. as if the mic were failing).

From the logs it seems that we sent roughly the same number of packets

as what we received. Could it be that the audio is not reaching the
hardphone or that it is not playing it?

Does the same thing happen with the Asterisk Echo service?

Actually, Jitsi sends
audio during the first second of conversation but then remains
silent. If the hardphone puts the jitsi call on hold and off hold
then jitsi sends audio during another second or so then silence.

The jitsi user can hear the hardphone user just fine while the
hardphone user can't hear the jitsi user.

If I call from another softphone with the same audio codecs (eg. gsm,
ulaw, alaw) then all's fine and there's no issue.

It coulg be a GSM codec incompatibility between Jitsi and that version
of asterisk, or Jitsi and the device.

Emil

···

On 26.03.13, 11:53, Vieri wrote:

I'm attaching the log and pcap because I don't know what I'm doing
wrong.

Both Jitsi and the hardphone are connected to Asterisk.

Thanks,

Vieri

--
https://jitsi.org


#4

> I noticed that when I try to call a hardphone (GXP1400)
configured to
> prefer the ulaw codec from a Win7 Jitsi client with
audio codecs gsm,
> ulaw and alaw then everything works except for Jitsi
sending audio to
> the hardphone (ie. as if the mic were failing).

From the logs it seems that we sent roughly the same number
of packets
as what we received. Could it be that the audio is not
reaching the
hardphone or that it is not playing it?

The audio actually reaches the hardphone because during the first second I hear something and then it goes silent.

Does the same thing happen with the Asterisk Echo service?

Haven't tried that yet.

It coulg be a GSM codec incompatibility between Jitsi and
that version
of asterisk, or Jitsi and the device.

The hardphone doesn't support GSM and uses ulaw or alaw. So Asterisk should be transcoding Jitsi GSM - Hardphone U/ALAW.
I currently don't have access to the Asterisk server until next week but I'm pretty sure canreinvite is 'no'.

Thanks,

Vieri

···

--- On Tue, 3/26/13, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:


#5

Hi,

> > I noticed that when I try to call a hardphone
(GXP1400)
> configured to
> > prefer the ulaw codec from a Win7 Jitsi client
with
> audio codecs gsm,
> > ulaw and alaw then everything works except for
Jitsi
> sending audio to
> > the hardphone (ie. as if the mic were failing).
>
> From the logs it seems that we sent roughly the same
number
> of packets
> as what we received. Could it be that the audio is not
> reaching the
> hardphone or that it is not playing it?

The audio actually reaches the hardphone because during the
first second I hear something and then it goes silent.

> Does the same thing happen with the Asterisk Echo
service?

Haven't tried that yet.

Tried the echo service and all went OK both with Jitsi->Asterisk and Hardphone->Asterisk.

> It coulg be a GSM codec incompatibility between Jitsi
and
> that version
> of asterisk, or Jitsi and the device.

The hardphone doesn't support GSM and uses ulaw or alaw. So
Asterisk should be transcoding Jitsi GSM - Hardphone
U/ALAW.
I currently don't have access to the Asterisk server until
next week but I'm pretty sure canreinvite is 'no'.

canreinvite is "no" for both sip peers. So correct me if I'm wrong but if the hardphone accepts only ulaw and alaw (not gsm) and Jitsi accepts gsm, ulaw and alaw, shouldn't the ulaw or alaw audio codecs be negotiated (not gsm)? So even if Jitsi "prefers" gsm, it should use a/ulaw. So I guess that if it's a compatibility issue then it shouldn't be related to GSM but ulaw/alaw, right?

Anyway, I setup a call Jitsi->Hardphone and here's what I see on the Asterisk server (Jitsi client is at 10.215.144.48, Hardphone is at 10.215.146.209):

# asterisk -rx "sip show channels" | grep 10.215.144.48
10.215.144.48 4053 aa0dd3265e5 00101/00002 0x2 (gsm) No Rx: ACK
10.215.144.48 (None) 752243aca04 00101/00580 0x0 (nothing) No Rx: REGISTER

# asterisk -rx "sip show channels" | grep 10.215.146.209
10.215.146.209 4444 3afe620c2a3 00102/00000 0x3f0004 (ulaw| No Tx: ACK

It could be a GSM compatibility issue between Jitsi and Asterisk 1.4. In fact if I disable GSM in Jitsi options then both ends are ulaw-encoded and all's fine (audio goes through).

However, if I enable GSM on Jitsi and call another type of device that supports GSM through Asterisk (with canreinvite=no) then the call is also full GSM on both sides and works fine.
If it were a GSM issue between Jitsi and Asterisk wouldn't this scenario also fail? I'm puzzled.

Has anyone tested Jitsi GSM + another ulaw peer with Asterisk 1.4.31?

Vieri

···

--- On Thu, 3/28/13, Vieri <rentorbuy@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- On Tue, 3/26/13, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> > wrote:


#6

Hi,

Just a quick note on the issue reported below. Apart from Asterisk 1.4 I also tried Asterisk 11.2.0 today and found that the GSM to ULAW call behavior described below with Jitsi is the same (no audio).

So there doesn't seem to be any difference whether I use * 1.4 or 11.

Vieri

···

--- On Thu, 4/4/13, Vieri <rentorbuy@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

--- On Thu, 3/28/13, Vieri <rentorbuy@yahoo.com> > wrote:

> --- On Tue, 3/26/13, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> > > wrote:
>
> > > I noticed that when I try to call a
hardphone
> (GXP1400)
> > configured to
> > > prefer the ulaw codec from a Win7 Jitsi
client
> with
> > audio codecs gsm,
> > > ulaw and alaw then everything works except
for
> Jitsi
> > sending audio to
> > > the hardphone (ie. as if the mic were
failing).
> >
> > From the logs it seems that we sent roughly the
same
> number
> > of packets
> > as what we received. Could it be that the audio is
not
> > reaching the
> > hardphone or that it is not playing it?
>
> The audio actually reaches the hardphone because during
the
> first second I hear something and then it goes silent.
>
> > Does the same thing happen with the Asterisk Echo
> service?
>
> Haven't tried that yet.

Tried the echo service and all went OK both with
Jitsi->Asterisk and Hardphone->Asterisk.

> > It coulg be a GSM codec incompatibility between
Jitsi
> and
> > that version
> > of asterisk, or Jitsi and the device.
>
> The hardphone doesn't support GSM and uses ulaw or
alaw. So
> Asterisk should be transcoding Jitsi GSM - Hardphone
> U/ALAW.
> I currently don't have access to the Asterisk server
until
> next week but I'm pretty sure canreinvite is 'no'.

canreinvite is "no" for both sip peers. So correct me if I'm
wrong but if the hardphone accepts only ulaw and alaw (not
gsm) and Jitsi accepts gsm, ulaw and alaw, shouldn't the
ulaw or alaw audio codecs be negotiated (not gsm)? So even
if Jitsi "prefers" gsm, it should use a/ulaw. So I guess
that if it's a compatibility issue then it shouldn't be
related to GSM but ulaw/alaw, right?

Anyway, I setup a call Jitsi->Hardphone and here's what I
see on the Asterisk server (Jitsi client is at
10.215.144.48, Hardphone is at 10.215.146.209):

# asterisk -rx "sip show channels" | grep 10.215.144.48
10.215.144.48 4053
aa0dd3265e5 00101/00002
0x2 (gsm) No
Rx: ACK
10.215.144.48 (None)
752243aca04 00101/00580 0x0
(nothing) No Rx:
REGISTER

# asterisk -rx "sip show channels" | grep 10.215.146.209
10.215.146.209 4444
3afe620c2a3
00102/00000 0x3f0004 (ulaw| No
Tx: ACK

It could be a GSM compatibility issue between Jitsi and
Asterisk 1.4. In fact if I disable GSM in Jitsi options then
both ends are ulaw-encoded and all's fine (audio goes
through).

However, if I enable GSM on Jitsi and call another type of
device that supports GSM through Asterisk (with
canreinvite=no) then the call is also full GSM on both sides
and works fine.
If it were a GSM issue between Jitsi and Asterisk wouldn't
this scenario also fail? I'm puzzled.

Has anyone tested Jitsi GSM + another ulaw peer with
Asterisk 1.4.31?

Vieri


#7

Hi,

Just a quick note on the issue reported below. Apart from Asterisk 1.4 I
also tried Asterisk 11.2.0 today and found that the GSM to ULAW call
behavior described below with Jitsi is the same (no audio).

Just tried these same things with an asterisk 11.something here and
everything worked in Jitsi->Asterisk and Jitsi->Asterisk->VariousHardphones
scenarios. In other words: everything seems fine. Currently I'd be more
inclined to think this is an issue with the hardphone itself.

more inline:

canreinvite is "no" for both sip peers. So correct me if I'm
wrong but if the hardphone accepts only ulaw and alaw (not
gsm) and Jitsi accepts gsm, ulaw and alaw, shouldn't the
ulaw or alaw audio codecs be negotiated (not gsm)?

If you were using a SIP proxy this would have been true. Asterisk however
would always offer the same codecs to you, regardless of what the other
endpoint supports.

So even
if Jitsi "prefers" gsm, it should use a/ulaw. So I guess
that if it's a compatibility issue then it shouldn't be
related to GSM but ulaw/alaw, right?

Again, not with Asterisk. You may want to have a look at the actual offers
and answers. Do you see Jitsi using a codec that was not in the SDP answer?
My guess is that this is not happening and Asterisk advertises GSM as
supported.

Anyway, I setup a call Jitsi->Hardphone and here's what I
see on the Asterisk server (Jitsi client is at
10.215.144.48, Hardphone is at 10.215.146.209):

# asterisk -rx "sip show channels" | grep 10.215.144.48
10.215.144.48 4053
     aa0dd3265e5 00101/00002
0x2 (gsm) No
   Rx: ACK
10.215.144.48 (None)
   752243aca04 00101/00580 0x0
(nothing) No Rx:
REGISTER

# asterisk -rx "sip show channels" | grep 10.215.146.209
10.215.146.209 4444
       3afe620c2a3
00102/00000 0x3f0004 (ulaw| No
   Tx: ACK

It could be a GSM compatibility issue between Jitsi and
Asterisk 1.4.

Could be but this would not explain what you say below.

In fact if I disable GSM in Jitsi options then
both ends are ulaw-encoded and all's fine (audio goes
through).

However, if I enable GSM on Jitsi and call another type of
device that supports GSM through Asterisk (with
canreinvite=no) then the call is also full GSM on both sides
and works fine.
If it were a GSM issue between Jitsi and Asterisk wouldn't
this scenario also fail?

Sounds like it should.

I'm puzzled.

So am I.

Cheers,
Emil

···

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Vieri <rentorbuy@yahoo.com> wrote:

Has anyone tested Jitsi GSM + another ulaw peer with
Asterisk 1.4.31?

Vieri

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31