[jitsi-dev] jitsi crash & unable to retrieve saved account info

Hi

On Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) I installed Jitsi as admin and then was
using it for one of my non-admin users. Even though Jitsi
(https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi/windows/jitsi-1.0-latest-x86.exe)
appeared to connect just fine to a new XMPP account in the first
instance, after rebooting the machine the account information appeared
to simply not be there - as if the user's personal profile had been
wiped out.

I believe I was trying to re-enter the user account information when
Jitsi crashed with the following exception:

java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
  at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.ProtocolProviderFactory.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactory.java:698)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.ProtocolProviderFactory.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactory.java:659)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.java:43)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.modifyAccount(ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.java:216)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.jabberaccregwizz.JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.installAccount(JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.java:438)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.jabberaccregwizz.JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.signin(JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.java:252)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.jabberaccregwizz.JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.signin(JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.java:213)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.account.AccountRegSummaryPage.commitPage(AccountRegSummaryPage.java:163)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.customcontrols.wizard.WizardController$PageCommitThread.run(WizardController.java:145)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
CredentialsStorageService failed to storePassword
  at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.AccountManager.storeAccount(AccountManager.java:636)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.ProtocolProviderFactory.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactory.java:694)
  ... 9 more

Surprisingly, after a couple of reboots jitsi just executed just fine,
the user account information was there, the user was auto-logged-in to
their jit.si account and all was well.

Please let me know how to troubleshoot this further.

Cheers

Alex

(further background that may be related)

1. Jitsi's window (at least on Windows XP) does not like very long
passwords. (see PNG attachment)
2. Using a very long password probably overflows some input field
boundary because then this leads to all sorts of issues, like the one
shown in screenshot #2 - which translates to "Failed to create account
due to the following error: Service already unregistered"

These bugs pre-empted the original bug described with the buggy
storing & retrieval of account information.

Thanks

Alex

···

On 28 May 2012 23:42, Alexandros Papadopoulos <alexandros.papadopoulos@member.fsf.org> wrote:

Hi

On Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) I installed Jitsi as admin and then was
using it for one of my non-admin users. Even though Jitsi
(https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi/windows/jitsi-1.0-latest-x86.exe)
appeared to connect just fine to a new XMPP account in the first
instance, after rebooting the machine the account information appeared
to simply not be there - as if the user's personal profile had been
wiped out.

I believe I was trying to re-enter the user account information when
Jitsi crashed with the following exception:

java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.ProtocolProviderFactory.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactory.java:698)
at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.ProtocolProviderFactory.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactory.java:659)
at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.java:43)
at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.modifyAccount(ProtocolProviderFactoryJabberImpl.java:216)
at net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.jabberaccregwizz.JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.installAccount(JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.java:438)
at net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.jabberaccregwizz.JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.signin(JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.java:252)
at net.java.sip.communicator.plugin.jabberaccregwizz.JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.signin(JabberAccountRegistrationWizard.java:213)
at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.account.AccountRegSummaryPage.commitPage(AccountRegSummaryPage.java:163)
at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.customcontrols.wizard.WizardController$PageCommitThread.run(WizardController.java:145)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
CredentialsStorageService failed to storePassword
at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.AccountManager.storeAccount(AccountManager.java:636)
at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.ProtocolProviderFactory.storeAccount(ProtocolProviderFactory.java:694)
... 9 more

Surprisingly, after a couple of reboots jitsi just executed just fine,
the user account information was there, the user was auto-logged-in to
their jit.si account and all was well.

Please let me know how to troubleshoot this further.

Cheers

Alex