[jitsi-dev] Issues with Ekiga.net SIP account


#1

Hi,
I'm trying to get an old SIP account working as a work-around to the
ICE failures that I'm having with Jingle.

I add account:
- Network: SIP
- SIP id: james.haigh at ekiga.net
- Password: ********

When I click 'Add' I am online within a second.

I then add contact '500@ekiga.net' which is an echo test. The contact
appears offline.

When I try to call, it says 'Initiating call' for some time, then
'Call failed' and 'The remote party has not replied!The call will be
disconnected'.

I try 'Send a message':

500 at 01:23:53
test
[!]The above message could not be delivered
A network problem occurred. Please check your network configuration
and try again. Error was: 480 Offline

A few minutes later I get an authentication dialog claiming that my
password is incorrect. See 1st attached screenshot. My password is
correct because:
- I've tried it on Ekiga Softphone.
- An incorrect password will bring up this dialog immediately, rather
than in a few minutes.

Sometimes it forgets my password altogether, as in the 2nd screenshot.

Every few minutes it will ask for the password even though the status
is online. Contact '500' never appears online and is never callable,
even after giving password again.

Just in case it helps, I have attached my logs.

Thank you.
James.

3284-2011-02-14@01.52.22-logs.zip (49.9 KB)


#2

James,

Ekiga.net have made a number of configuration choices that prevent SIP
Communicator (and many other SIP clients for that matter) to register
with their service.

I believe I already suggested a couple of properly configured SIP
providers to you (i.e. iptel.org and ippi.com) so you may want to try
using one of them.

Hope this helps,
Emil

На 14.02.11 02:56, James Haigh написа:

···

Hi,
I'm trying to get an old SIP account working as a work-around to the
ICE failures that I'm having with Jingle.

I add account:
- Network: SIP
- SIP id: james.haigh at ekiga.net
- Password: ********

When I click 'Add' I am online within a second.

I then add contact '500@ekiga.net' which is an echo test. The contact
appears offline.

When I try to call, it says 'Initiating call' for some time, then
'Call failed' and 'The remote party has not replied!The call will be
disconnected'.

I try 'Send a message':

500 at 01:23:53
test
[!]The above message could not be delivered
A network problem occurred. Please check your network configuration
and try again. Error was: 480 Offline

A few minutes later I get an authentication dialog claiming that my
password is incorrect. See 1st attached screenshot. My password is
correct because:
- I've tried it on Ekiga Softphone.
- An incorrect password will bring up this dialog immediately, rather
than in a few minutes.

Sometimes it forgets my password altogether, as in the 2nd screenshot.

Every few minutes it will ask for the password even though the status
is online. Contact '500' never appears online and is never callable,
even after giving password again.

Just in case it helps, I have attached my logs.

Thank you.
James.

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
SIP Communicator
emcho@sip-communicator.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://sip-communicator.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#3

James,

Ekiga.net have made a number of configuration choices that prevent SIP
Communicator (and many other SIP clients for that matter) to register
with their service.

Oh, what a shame. I will contact them, I wonder whether they'd be
willing to change their configuration. Ekiga Softphone isn't
cross-platform; it's not available for Mac and the Windows version is
still beta. So to some extent they rely on other SIP clients.

However, it would be nice if SC could show a dialog saying 'Sorry,
unable to connect. This SIP provider hasn't configured their servers
in a standard way.' rather than appearing to sign in then not working.

I believe I already suggested a couple of properly configured SIP
providers to you (i.e. iptel.org and ippi.com) so you may want to try
using one of them.

Yes you did, on IRC. You suggested them as a work-around to the ICE
failures. I thought you were recommending the SIP protocol in general,
perhaps because it is better implemented in SC or something. I did not
realise that there are significant differences in SIP providers, so I
remembered that I had an old SIP account on Ekiga.net and assumed that
it would be an equivalent.

You later told me on IRC that the reason iptel.org and ippi.com will
work is that they have relay servers.

I don't really want SIP anyway, it was just a work-around. Most of my
contacts don't have SIP accounts but most do have XMPP compliant
accounts. You say that talkr.im maintains a relay in the form of
Jingle Nodes, so I will try that first.

Thank you.
James.

···

On 14/02/2011, Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org> wrote:


#4

I have contacted Ekiga on IRC. I was told to try port 5060. On the
'Connection' tab of the settings for my Ekiga.net account the port
field was blank.

* After entering 5060 I was able to call 500, the echo test.

* The contact appears offline because SC doesn't support SIMPLE.

* 'Send a message' won't work anyway, I've tried with Ekiga Softphone.
500 doesn't support echoing text messages.

* Since I have entered the port, I have not seen the authentication dialog.

BTW, the echo cancellation on SC is far superior to that of Ekiga Softphone.

Why is the port field blank by default?

James.

···

On 16/02/2011, James Haigh <james.r.haigh@gmail.com> wrote:

On 14/02/2011, Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org> wrote:

James,

Ekiga.net have made a number of configuration choices that prevent SIP
Communicator (and many other SIP clients for that matter) to register
with their service.

Oh, what a shame. I will contact them, I wonder whether they'd be
willing to change their configuration. Ekiga Softphone isn't
cross-platform; it's not available for Mac and the Windows version is
still beta. So to some extent they rely on other SIP clients.

However, it would be nice if SC could show a dialog saying 'Sorry,
unable to connect. This SIP provider hasn't configured their servers
in a standard way.' rather than appearing to sign in then not working.

I believe I already suggested a couple of properly configured SIP
providers to you (i.e. iptel.org and ippi.com) so you may want to try
using one of them.

Yes you did, on IRC. You suggested them as a work-around to the ICE
failures. I thought you were recommending the SIP protocol in general,
perhaps because it is better implemented in SC or something. I did not
realise that there are significant differences in SIP providers, so I
remembered that I had an old SIP account on Ekiga.net and assumed that
it would be an equivalent.

You later told me on IRC that the reason iptel.org and ippi.com will
work is that they have relay servers.

I don't really want SIP anyway, it was just a work-around. Most of my
contacts don't have SIP accounts but most do have XMPP compliant
accounts. You say that talkr.im maintains a relay in the form of
Jingle Nodes, so I will try that first.

Thank you.
James.


#5

На 16.02.11 14:55, James Haigh написа:

I have contacted Ekiga on IRC. I was told to try port 5060. On the
'Connection' tab of the settings for my Ekiga.net account the port
field was blank.

* After entering 5060 I was able to call 500, the echo test.

Interesting because a blank port field means we use the default which is
5060.

* The contact appears offline because SC doesn't support SIMPLE.

It does actually. Well, not every aspect of it but definitely the part
that supports presence.

Cheers,
Emil

···

* 'Send a message' won't work anyway, I've tried with Ekiga Softphone.
500 doesn't support echoing text messages.

* Since I have entered the port, I have not seen the authentication dialog.

BTW, the echo cancellation on SC is far superior to that of Ekiga Softphone.

Why is the port field blank by default?

James.

On 16/02/2011, James Haigh <james.r.haigh@gmail.com> wrote:

On 14/02/2011, Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org> wrote:

James,

Ekiga.net have made a number of configuration choices that prevent SIP
Communicator (and many other SIP clients for that matter) to register
with their service.

Oh, what a shame. I will contact them, I wonder whether they'd be
willing to change their configuration. Ekiga Softphone isn't
cross-platform; it's not available for Mac and the Windows version is
still beta. So to some extent they rely on other SIP clients.

However, it would be nice if SC could show a dialog saying 'Sorry,
unable to connect. This SIP provider hasn't configured their servers
in a standard way.' rather than appearing to sign in then not working.

I believe I already suggested a couple of properly configured SIP
providers to you (i.e. iptel.org and ippi.com) so you may want to try
using one of them.

Yes you did, on IRC. You suggested them as a work-around to the ICE
failures. I thought you were recommending the SIP protocol in general,
perhaps because it is better implemented in SC or something. I did not
realise that there are significant differences in SIP providers, so I
remembered that I had an old SIP account on Ekiga.net and assumed that
it would be an equivalent.

You later told me on IRC that the reason iptel.org and ippi.com will
work is that they have relay servers.

I don't really want SIP anyway, it was just a work-around. Most of my
contacts don't have SIP accounts but most do have XMPP compliant
accounts. You say that talkr.im maintains a relay in the form of
Jingle Nodes, so I will try that first.

Thank you.
James.

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
SIP Communicator
emcho@sip-communicator.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://sip-communicator.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#6

На 16.02.11 14:55, James Haigh написа:

I have contacted Ekiga on IRC. I was told to try port 5060. On the
'Connection' tab of the settings for my Ekiga.net account the port
field was blank.

* After entering 5060 I was able to call 500, the echo test.

Interesting because a blank port field means we use the default which is
5060.

That's odd. Maybe there is an unusual bug lurking somewhere.

* The contact appears offline because SC doesn't support SIMPLE.

It does actually. Well, not every aspect of it but definitely the part
that supports presence.

There's no mention of it on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIP_Communicator
http://www.sip-communicator.org/index.php/Main/Features

Actually I've just noticed that is it is mentioned on the latter as
'Presence' with a green tick in the 'SIP' column.

I've realised that 500@ekiga.net does not support presence. In Ekiga
Softphone it neither appears offline nor online.

However, in SC it appears offline. It's state should appear unknown to
indicate to the user that the contact does not support presence and
that they may actually be online.

James.

···

On 16/02/2011, Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org> wrote: