[jitsi-dev] ICE problems

Hi,

yesterday I was unable to establish a connection with my colleaque due to ICE failure. Fortunately it worked the other way around.

We both use United Internet Jabber addresses. (brands of United Internet include 1&1, GMX, WEB.DE - quite popular here in Germany). We had an issue with their STUN server before. So we both disabled "find STUN server automatically" and resorted to the Jitsi's STUN server. Configuration is the same on both sides.

Hardware configuration for the calling path that fails:

Jitsi -> Linux machine functioning as router -> Internet -> Fritz-Box-Router -> Jitsi.

Whom should I send the logs to (as they contain a lot of private data, I don't want to post them here (*)

Subsequently I wasn't able to establish anything more than a voice connection - no video, no desktop sharing.

What's wrong

Thank you for help

Conrad

(*) just an idea: how about blanking out all contacts and names in the logs -or at least have the option to do so to be able to post them here.

Hi Conrad,

You can send the full logs (txt + pcap) of the two peers privately to me.

Regards,

···

--
Seb

Le 16/11/11 09:09, Conrad Beckert a écrit :

Hi,

yesterday I was unable to establish a connection with my colleaque due to ICE failure. Fortunately it worked the other way around.

We both use United Internet Jabber addresses. (brands of United Internet include 1&1, GMX, WEB.DE - quite popular here in Germany). We had an issue with their STUN server before. So we both disabled "find STUN server automatically" and resorted to the Jitsi's STUN server. Configuration is the same on both sides.

Hardware configuration for the calling path that fails:

Jitsi -> Linux machine functioning as router -> Internet -> Fritz-Box-Router -> Jitsi.

Whom should I send the logs to (as they contain a lot of private data, I don't want to post them here (*)

Subsequently I wasn't able to establish anything more than a voice connection - no video, no desktop sharing.

What's wrong

Thank you for help

Conrad

(*) just an idea: how about blanking out all contacts and names in the logs -or at least have the option to do so to be able to post them here.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

If I understand correctly you try a call from you (caller) to the remote ones (callee) and it does not work but when the remote peer calls you it works. Am I right ?<<

This is what's happening

FYI Jitsi media port starts from 5000 and increment when you make call. You can also try to configure asterisk port (if it uses ports arround 5000) and look at your shorewall logs to see if some UDP packets are blocked when you make some calls (get IP/port of the server reflexive remote peer in jitsi logs).<<

There is no block at all in the firewall's UDP range but Asterisk is using UDP ports from 5000 as well. I don't have a rerouting to the Asterisk machine since it connected directly without NAT. So there might be a conflict - but I don't think so as I assume that Asteris is assigning the ports as soon as a call gets initiated - not earlier.

I would introduce a NAT router soon. What is a good strategy: Assign 5000-5999 to all the Jitsis on my local network and start the Asterisk as of 8000... How do I setup Jitsi to stay in a certain range - say 5000 to 5999? Would this be valid to the incoming calls as well?

The strange thing is that incoming calls work but outgoing ones don't.

For desktop sharing and H264, maybe you need to wait some time (depending on the connection) because for a big desktop (let's say 1920x1280) there is a lot of bytes to compress and send. And if there are lost packets in the keyframe packets (keyframe is the reference frame that is quite big), the screen may stay black. I recommend you to launch desktop sharing when you have a clean deskop (not many windows, text, ...). For webcam, try to use less resolution (320x240, ...) in the last tab of the video configuration.<<

Well - for that reason I turned on my camera first, my partner did the same. We waited for some 1-2 minutes - to no avail. Then I started my desktop sharing (which is the heart of the matter) - nothing changed: Just audio, but the video blue buttons signal that at least my side tries to send video.

Then the other side enabled H263 and I was able to recieve a small and distorted image from the far side. My image and the subsequently activated screen sharing (I use partial sharing as I have two monitors) worked. (good enough to do the job). But the incoming image was still poor. (notwithstanding the drama and chaos to establish the connection)

To entries in the logs available to furter assess what's going on.

Kind regards

Conrad