[jitsi-dev] How do these projects tie together (or how do I run meet.jit.si?)

Hello,

I'm a developer and blind screen reader user who wants to participate in meetings hosted on meet.jit.si. If I visit the Jitsi site, I have a hard time figuring out how all these projects tie together.

What I want to do is either run a local setup of meet.jit.si, or better yet, host the HTML locally and connect to your remote infrastructure. I could then fix accessibility issues and submit the fixes upstream.

Which projects/areas do I investigate to make this happen? I don't know what Videobridge does vs. what Meet does, if one depends on the other, if they're unrelated, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Nolan,

Hello,

I'm a developer and blind screen reader user who wants to participate in
meetings hosted on meet.jit.si. If I visit the Jitsi site, I have a hard
time figuring out how all these projects tie together.

What I want to do is either run a local setup of meet.jit.si, or better
yet, host the HTML locally and connect to your remote infrastructure. I
could then fix accessibility issues and submit the fixes upstream.

That's great, such fixes would be welcome!

You can do both of the options that you mention, but I don't know exactly how to run the client against an existing environment, so I will only describe the first option (see below).

Which projects/areas do I investigate to make this happen? I don't know
what Videobridge does vs. what Meet does, if one depends on the other,
if they're unrelated, etc.

We have the following components:
1. jitsi-videobridge: it handles all audio and video coming from clients.
2. jicofo: handles the "signaling", e.g. inviting new clients that join the chat room.
3. lib-jitsi-meet: a JavaScript library that manages the XMPP connection, communicating with jicofo, muting/unmuting, etc.
4. jitsi-meet: The web-based client. You can think of it as a user-interface on top of lib-jitsi-meet.

For your purposes you will probably only need to modify jitsi-meet (and perhaps lib-jitsi-meet).

The easiest way to setup an environment is to use a virtual machine based on debian and install the jitsi-meet package as described here[0]. This will pull in all the required dependencies, including jitsi-videobridge and jicofo.

Regards,
Boris

[0] https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/quick-install.md

ยทยทยท

On 18/07/2017 15:50, Nolan Darilek wrote: