[jitsi-dev] [enhancement] More missed call indicators?

How do you feel about more missed call indicators? I have the habit of keeping my contact list (window) closed and I rather have the chat window open more often (if I've chatted with anyone during the day). Yet I have to check the contact list for missed calls even if I'm out of hearing range (wrt the computer) for a few minutes. New chat messages are far easier to notice on OS X because the dock icon bounces. However, missed calls do not cause the same visual alert. I'm thinking that it'd be of help to me if I had any of the following:

- the dock icon bounced for missed calls as well,
- the dock icon was badged with the number of alerts (new chat messages/conversations and/or missed calls),
- the chat window had an indicator that I missed a call from a contact I was chatting with,
- the tray/notification area icon indicated alerts,
- a (permanent) pop-up notification was shown on a missed call.

Hi Lubo,

How do you feel about more missed call indicators? I have the habit of keeping my contact list (window) closed and I rather have the chat window open more often (if I've chatted with anyone during the day). Yet I have to check the contact list for missed calls even if I'm out of hearing range (wrt the computer) for a few minutes. New chat messages are far easier to notice on OS X because the dock icon bounces. However, missed calls do not cause the same visual alert. I'm thinking that it'd be of help to me if I had any of the following:

Completely agree.

- the dock icon bounced for missed calls as well,

+1

- the dock icon was badged with the number of alerts (new chat messages/conversations and/or missed calls),

Sounds really good idea, but I'm not sure how easy this would be. I'm afraid it could be a time consuming task.

- the chat window had an indicator that I missed a call from a contact I was chatting with,

Ok, I'm less enthusiastic about this, because it doesn't really resolves the problem, since you'll only see the indication for contacts you're chatting with and we should think of the best way of displaying it (in the tabs may be, it should be very clear that it's concerning calls and not messages, etc.). We should think about it.

Again I find it a good idea, but I'm not sure how easy this is to achieve.

+1 This is the first thing I had in mind when read your comments above and I believe it's quite easy to implement, so could be a quick solution for you :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Oct 2, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Lyubomir Marinov wrote:

Sounds really good idea, but I'm not sure how easy this would be. I'm afraid it could be a time consuming task.

Sure, it could very well be a time consuming task. At least there seems to be a setDockIconBadge(String) method in the com.apple.eawt.Application class (which we use to bounce the dock icon via requestUserAttention(boolean)).

Ok, I'm less enthusiastic about this, because it doesn't really resolves the problem, since you'll only see the indication for contacts you're chatting with and we should think of the best way of displaying it (in the tabs may be, it should be very clear that it's concerning calls and not messages, etc.). We should think about it.

Well, it's not like I even have a proposal of any kind with respect to how that could look like so I agree with you concerns. I think I have a vague memory (i.e. I could be completely wrong!) of both Gmail chat and Skype displaying information about the start and finish of calls intermixed with the chats in their chat windows.

At the very least this one doesn't have the disadvantage of the dock icon badging which seems available on OS X only.

Right, Windows 7 even hides the tray icons by default so it will certainly not be universally useful even if it could be easily achievable.

Anyway, thank you very much, Yana!

···

On 02.10.2012, at 16:48, Yana Stamcheva <yana@jitsi.org> wrote:

Hi Yana, Lyubomir

···

On 2 Oct 2012, at 20:48, Yana Stamcheva wrote:

+1 This is the first thing I had in mind when read your comments above and I believe it's quite easy to implement, so could be a quick solution for you :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Yana

I like the ideas. However, if you make it permanent, please have a switch in the Preferences options (tab general?) to disable the "permanent" function. Thanks

Kind regards
Walter

Again I find it a good idea, but I'm not sure how easy this is to

achieve.

Right, Windows 7 even hides the tray icons by default so it will certainly
not be universally useful even if it could be easily achievable.

Just as a side note here: Windows 7 hides the notification area icons
because there were too much of them. So the new way to indicate stuff would
be within the application icon on the "Superbar" (aka the Taskbar in default
mode with large icons and no application name). An example is how Outlook
2010 changes it's icon when a new has arrived.
Probably too much work to use in Java right now, but in general the way to
go (and _optionally_ remove the tray icon completely, putting the context
menu into the Tasks-List). I know that Eclipse did some work on that.

Regards,
Ingo

For the sake of completeness, r10405 adds dock/task bar alerts upon
incoming calls, which probably addresses the concern expressed here.
WDYT, Lyubo?

Emil

···

On 02.10.12, 23:33, Lyubomir Marinov wrote:

On 02.10.2012, at 16:48, Yana Stamcheva <yana@jitsi.org> wrote:

Sure, it could very well be a time consuming task. At least there seems to be a setDockIconBadge(String) method in the com.apple.eawt.Application class (which we use to bounce the dock icon via requestUserAttention(boolean)).

Well, it's not like I even have a proposal of any kind with respect to how that could look like so I agree with you concerns. I think I have a vague memory (i.e. I could be completely wrong!) of both Gmail chat and Skype displaying information about the start and finish of calls intermixed with the chats in their chat windows.

At the very least this one doesn't have the disadvantage of the dock icon badging which seems available on OS X only.

Right, Windows 7 even hides the tray icons by default so it will certainly not be universally useful even if it could be easily achievable.

Anyway, thank you very much, Yana!

--
https://jitsi.org