[jitsi-dev] Difference between display names?


#1

Hi,

Within the sources, ProtocolProviderFactory differentiates between
DISPLAY_NAME and ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME.

Can someone elaborate on the distinction between the 2?

It doesn't become very clear (for me that is) from the accompanying comment.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom Uijldert.


#2

Hey Tom,

Hi,

Within the sources, ProtocolProviderFactory differentiates between
DISPLAY_NAME and ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME.

Can someone elaborate on the distinction between the 2?

If I setup a SIP account for emcho@jitsi.org, DISPLAY_NAME would contain
my SIP display name, i.e. "Emil Ivov". ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME would
contain the String that Jitsi will use to show me that account in the
various account lists in Jitsi.

By default this would be: "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)"

Hope this helps,
Emil

···

On 19.02.13, 15:36, Tom Uijldert wrote:

It doesn't become very clear (for me that is) from the accompanying comment.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom Uijldert.

--
https://jitsi.org


#3

Since the SIP account doesn't fill the ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME, it currently
defaults to "<user-id> (SIP)" (or "emcho (SIP)" in your example)...

Given that the (SIP) user-id can be anything, (like an unreadable GUID) and
the SIP account wizard includes a display name, I propose to change the SIP
display-name behaviour to:
- When no account_display_name found, try display_name and only then default
to user-id.

WDYT?

Cheers,
    Tom.

···

-----Original Message-----
From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]

Hey Tom,

On 19.02.13, 15:36, Tom Uijldert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Within the sources, ProtocolProviderFactory differentiates between
> DISPLAY_NAME and ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME.
>
> Can someone elaborate on the distinction between the 2?

If I setup a SIP account for emcho@jitsi.org, DISPLAY_NAME would
contain my SIP display name, i.e. "Emil Ivov". ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME
would contain the String that Jitsi will use to show me that account in
the various account lists in Jitsi.

By default this would be: "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)"


#4

Hey Tom,

From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]

Hey Tom,

Hi,

Within the sources, ProtocolProviderFactory differentiates between
DISPLAY_NAME and ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME.

Can someone elaborate on the distinction between the 2?

If I setup a SIP account for emcho@jitsi.org, DISPLAY_NAME would
contain my SIP display name, i.e. "Emil Ivov". ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME
would contain the String that Jitsi will use to show me that account in
the various account lists in Jitsi.

By default this would be: "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)"

Since the SIP account doesn't fill the ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME, it currently
defaults to "<user-id> (SIP)" (or "emcho (SIP)" in your example)...

In my example it really would be "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)" and that's the
intended behaviour.

Given that the (SIP) user-id can be anything, (like an unreadable GUID) and
the SIP account wizard includes a display name, I propose to change the SIP
display-name behaviour to:
- When no account_display_name found, try display_name and only then default
to user-id.

WDYT?

I am afraid this won't work. Account display names are used in places
where all accounts are listed, such as your account configuration panel,
or the status combo box at the top of the contact list.

Using the user display name there would make one account completely
undistinguishable from the next.

Could you please tell us exactly what the problem that you are trying to
resolve is?

Thanks,
Emil

···

On 19.02.13, 16:39, Tom Uijldert wrote:

-----Original Message-----
On 19.02.13, 15:36, Tom Uijldert wrote:

Cheers,
    Tom.

--
https://jitsi.org


#5

From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]

Hey Tom,

>> From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]
>>
>> Hey Tom,
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Within the sources, ProtocolProviderFactory differentiates between
>>> DISPLAY_NAME and ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME.
>>>
>>> Can someone elaborate on the distinction between the 2?
>>
>> If I setup a SIP account for emcho@jitsi.org, DISPLAY_NAME would
>> contain my SIP display name, i.e. "Emil Ivov". ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME
>> would contain the String that Jitsi will use to show me that account
>> in the various account lists in Jitsi.
>>
>> By default this would be: "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)"
>
> Since the SIP account doesn't fill the ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME, it
> currently defaults to "<user-id> (SIP)" (or "emcho (SIP)" in your
example)...

In my example it really would be "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)" and that's the
intended behaviour.

Ah, the plot thickens :slight_smile:
Just figured out the discrepancy here:
On adding a SIP account in Jitsi one can specify a SIP id of <user> or
<user>@<host>.
In the "Advanced" section one can specify a registrar.
In the first case, the user will be SIP-registered as <user>@<registrar> but
the Jitsi account will still be represented as <user> (my example).
In the second case, Jitsi will silently use the <host> as <registrar> but
the account will be known in Jitsi as <user>@<host> (your example).

Given that the registrar may well be a different host or domain then the
actual SIP account, it makes sense to represent <user>@<host> as SIP id but
in that case -for consistencies sake- the first case should automatically
become known as <user>@<registrar> as Jitsi account (imho).

Btw., to make matters worse, I think it's perfectly legal (RFC-wise) to
register the same SIP account with multiple registrars...
Does Jitsi handle this case?

> Given that the (SIP) user-id can be anything, (like an unreadable
> GUID) and the SIP account wizard includes a display name, I propose
to
> change the SIP display-name behaviour to:
> - When no account_display_name found, try display_name and only then
> default to user-id.
>
> WDYT?

I am afraid this won't work. Account display names are used in places
where all accounts are listed, such as your account configuration
panel, or the status combo box at the top of the contact list.

?? Not sure I quite follow. My suggestion here *was* to use account display
names but _when not present_ and in the case of SIP only, to try the SIP
display-name (when present) and only _then_ revert to SIP id.

Using the user display name there would make one account completely
undistinguishable from the next.

Again, not sure we're talking about the same thing here. I'm referring to
the extra display name that can be specified on the SIP "Account" tab in
Jitsi and that is further correctly used with SIP from and to headers.

After all, RFC3261 specifically states that the optional "display-name" is
meant to be rendered by a human user interface (aka the panels and lists you
are referring to).

Of course it is still possible to enter the same display name in multiple
accounts, but that also holds for having the same SIP-id with multiple
registrars.

Could you please tell us exactly what the problem that you are trying
to resolve is?

Heh, no problem :slight_smile:
I regard this more as an enhancement/improvement.

Hope this helps,
    Tom Uijldert

···

-----Original Message-----
On 19.02.13, 16:39, Tom Uijldert wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
>> On 19.02.13, 15:36, Tom Uijldert wrote:


#6

Hey Tom,

From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]

Hey Tom,

From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]

Hey Tom,

Hi,

Within the sources, ProtocolProviderFactory differentiates between
DISPLAY_NAME and ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME.

Can someone elaborate on the distinction between the 2?

If I setup a SIP account for emcho@jitsi.org, DISPLAY_NAME would
contain my SIP display name, i.e. "Emil Ivov". ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME
would contain the String that Jitsi will use to show me that account
in the various account lists in Jitsi.

By default this would be: "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)"

Since the SIP account doesn't fill the ACCOUNT_DISPLAY_NAME, it
currently defaults to "<user-id> (SIP)" (or "emcho (SIP)" in your

example)...

In my example it really would be "emcho@jitsi.org (SIP)" and that's the
intended behaviour.

Ah, the plot thickens :slight_smile:
Just figured out the discrepancy here:
On adding a SIP account in Jitsi one can specify a SIP id of <user> or
<user>@<host>.

A SIP id of "user" should only be entered when creating registrarLess
accounts that are only meant for debugging. This should be a rare case
and we'll probably try to make it rarer by showing the proper warnings.

In the "Advanced" section one can specify a registrar.
In the first case, the user will be SIP-registered as <user>@<registrar> but
the Jitsi account will still be represented as <user> (my example).
In the second case, Jitsi will silently use the <host> as <registrar> but
the account will be known in Jitsi as <user>@<host> (your example).

OK, I see. That's an anomaly though. Accounts shouldn't be created that
way. We probably have to prevent that from happening

Given that the registrar may well be a different host or domain then the
actual SIP account, it makes sense to represent <user>@<host> as SIP id but
in that case -for consistencies sake- the first case should automatically
become known as <user>@<registrar> as Jitsi account (imho).

Yup that would also be a possible solution.

Btw., to make matters worse, I think it's perfectly legal (RFC-wise) to
register the same SIP account with multiple registrars...
Does Jitsi handle this case?

Sure, what makes you think it wouldn't?

Given that the (SIP) user-id can be anything, (like an unreadable
GUID) and the SIP account wizard includes a display name, I propose

to

change the SIP display-name behaviour to:
- When no account_display_name found, try display_name and only then
default to user-id.

WDYT?

I am afraid this won't work. Account display names are used in places
where all accounts are listed, such as your account configuration
panel, or the status combo box at the top of the contact list.

?? Not sure I quite follow. My suggestion here *was* to use account display
names but _when not present_ and in the case of SIP only, to try the SIP
display-name (when present) and only _then_ revert to SIP id.

My point was that seeing a list of accounts like this one:

Emil Ivov (SIP)
Emil Ivov (SIP)
Emil Ivov (SIP)

Is something that would be very confusing to users. This is why we would
currently be seeing:

emcho@example.com (SIP)
emcho@ippi.fr (SIP)
emcho@iptel.org (SIP)

Using the user display name there would make one account completely
undistinguishable from the next.

Again, not sure we're talking about the same thing here. I'm referring to
the extra display name that can be specified on the SIP "Account" tab in
Jitsi and that is further correctly used with SIP from and to headers.

I understand this but that display name would presumably be the same for
all your SIP accounts so it should not be used when presenting accounts
in a list or else you may end up with the example above.

After all, RFC3261 specifically states that the optional "display-name" is
meant to be rendered by a human user interface (aka the panels and lists you
are referring to).

Of course it is still possible to enter the same display name in multiple
accounts, but that also holds for having the same SIP-id with multiple
registrars.

Not following. What we currently show is user@registrar. If they are
indeed multiple registrars then your SIP-ids will _not_ be the same (see
the list above where the same SIP ID "emcho" is used for the
example.com, ippi.fr and iptel.org registrars).

Emil

···

On 21.02.13, 10:45, Tom Uijldert wrote:

-----Original Message-----
On 19.02.13, 16:39, Tom Uijldert wrote:

-----Original Message-----
On 19.02.13, 15:36, Tom Uijldert wrote:

Could you please tell us exactly what the problem that you are trying
to resolve is?

Heh, no problem :slight_smile:
I regard this more as an enhancement/improvement.

Hope this helps,
    Tom Uijldert

--
https://jitsi.org