[jitsi-dev] Device discovery for video device


#1

Hi,
Does jitsi uses FMJ for video/audio device? However in the code i could
see calls for JMF. Can you tell me which file handles device
configuration?
I tried to make video call from jisti using gmail account after running
ant rebuild run but i got "Failed to create a call".
Please note i dont have JMF installed on my computer.

Regards,
Prashant


#2

Does jitsi uses FMJ for video/audio device?

Generally and mostly, no, Jitsi uses JMF. It uses a few FMJ classes
among which is, for example, FMJ's Civil video device support but it's
deprecated and Jitsi prefers its own video device implementations.

Can you tell me which file handles device
configuration?

No, there is no single file which "handles device configuration". You
likely want to look at packages and files in the package
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.neomedia and containing the word
"device" in their names.

I tried to make video call from jisti using gmail account after running
ant rebuild run but i got "Failed to create a call".

If I'm not mistaken, we don't support Gmail calls. They are on our
TODO list though.

Please note i dont have JMF installed on my computer.

JMF is shipped as part of Jitsi, you don't have to install it separately.

···

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM, <pghildiyal82@gmail.com> wrote:


#3

For the record, it is probably worth noting that we are currently
working on completing FMJ so that we would be able to use it entirely
instead of JMF.

Emil

На 13.03.11 22:16, Lyubomir Marinov написа:

···

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM, <pghildiyal82@gmail.com> wrote:

Does jitsi uses FMJ for video/audio device?

Generally and mostly, no, Jitsi uses JMF. It uses a few FMJ classes
among which is, for example, FMJ's Civil video device support but it's
deprecated and Jitsi prefers its own video device implementations.

Can you tell me which file handles device
configuration?

No, there is no single file which "handles device configuration". You
likely want to look at packages and files in the package
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.neomedia and containing the word
"device" in their names.

I tried to make video call from jisti using gmail account after running
ant rebuild run but i got "Failed to create a call".

If I'm not mistaken, we don't support Gmail calls. They are on our
TODO list though.

Please note i dont have JMF installed on my computer.

JMF is shipped as part of Jitsi, you don't have to install it separately.

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#4

Thanks Lyubomir, Emily

As per my understand, jitsi currently does a discovery of device using its
own customized implementation
and then registers that device with JMF via code. Is that the case ?

Regards,
Prashant

···

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:52 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

For the record, it is probably worth noting that we are currently
working on completing FMJ so that we would be able to use it entirely
instead of JMF.

Emil

На 13.03.11 22:16, Lyubomir Marinov написа:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM, <pghildiyal82@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does jitsi uses FMJ for video/audio device?
>
> Generally and mostly, no, Jitsi uses JMF. It uses a few FMJ classes
> among which is, for example, FMJ's Civil video device support but it's
> deprecated and Jitsi prefers its own video device implementations.
>
>> Can you tell me which file handles device
>> configuration?
>
> No, there is no single file which "handles device configuration". You
> likely want to look at packages and files in the package
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.neomedia and containing the word
> "device" in their names.
>
>> I tried to make video call from jisti using gmail account after running
>> ant rebuild run but i got "Failed to create a call".
>
> If I'm not mistaken, we don't support Gmail calls. They are on our
> TODO list though.
>
>> Please note i dont have JMF installed on my computer.
>
> JMF is shipped as part of Jitsi, you don't have to install it separately.
>

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#5

На 13.03.11 22:16, Lyubomir Marinov написа:

I tried to make video call from jisti using gmail account after running
ant rebuild run but i got "Failed to create a call".

If I'm not mistaken, we don't support Gmail calls. They are on our
TODO list though.

Again for the record :slight_smile: (I missed that for my previous mail).

We do support calls over GMail, as long as both peers are using
applications that have proper Jingle support.

What we don't have at this moment is the possibility to call the GTalk
client or the web client integrated in the GMail page.

Emil


#6

Yes, Jitsi discovers the devices using its own home-grown
implementations and registers the discovered devices with JMF.
Additionally, Jistri falls back to JavaSound for audio devices and
FMJ's Civil for video devices.

···

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Prashant Ghildiyal <pghildiyal82@gmail.com> wrote:

As per my understand, jitsi currently does a discovery of device using its
own customized implementation
and then registers that device with JMF via code. Is that the case ?


#7

Thanks Lyubomir

~Prashant

···

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Lyubomir Marinov <lubo@sip-communicator.org > wrote:

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Prashant Ghildiyal > <pghildiyal82@gmail.com> wrote:
> As per my understand, jitsi currently does a discovery of device using
its
> own customized implementation
> and then registers that device with JMF via code. Is that the case ?

Yes, Jitsi discovers the devices using its own home-grown
implementations and registers the discovered devices with JMF.
Additionally, Jistri falls back to JavaSound for audio devices and
FMJ's Civil for video devices.