[jitsi-dev] Bug#754586: debcheckout jitsi


#1

Hi,

It would be nice if

   debcheckout jitsi

would work.
Bugreport #754586, https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754586 has allready a patch.
It is https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;filename=add_vcs_headers.patch;att=1;bug=754586

Groeten
Geert Stappers

···

--
Leven en laten leven


#2

Hi,

we have added Vcs-* fields in the version that is currently pushed into mentors.
https://mentors.debian.net/package/jitsi

Regards
damencho

···

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:

Hi,

It would be nice if

   debcheckout jitsi

would work.
Bugreport #754586, https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754586 has allready a patch.
It is https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;filename=add_vcs_headers.patch;att=1;bug=754586

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev


#3

Those seem to point to the upstream git repository that doesn't
contain the debian packaging. Those should point to where the
package as uploaded to Debian is maintained. I don't think we
have any way to add the upstream repositories.

Kurt

···

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 04:56:16PM +0300, Damian Minkov wrote:

Hi,

we have added Vcs-* fields in the version that is currently pushed into mentors.


#4

Hi,

it is the upstream which contains the debian packaging. We commit
everything in resources/install/debian.
What's the point of this field if its not the upstream? What should we
put there?
I saw there is a bug report about missing vcs fields and I've added
them with values pointing to the repository containing the sources we
are currently packaging.

Regards
damencho

···

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 04:56:16PM +0300, Damian Minkov wrote:

Hi,

we have added Vcs-* fields in the version that is currently pushed into mentors.

Those seem to point to the upstream git repository that doesn't
contain the debian packaging. Those should point to where the
package as uploaded to Debian is maintained. I don't think we
have any way to add the upstream repositories.

Kurt


#5

It seems to contain instruction on how to generate the source
package from that repository, including having to do a few git
clone / svn checkouts. The Vcs-* fields should point to the
sources like it's in Debian so that people working on
Debian can make changes to it. This means among other things
that there is a "debian" directory, instead of a
resources/install/debian. The full sources shouldn't even be
there, it could be that the upstream sources are gotten from
the .orig.tar.gz file. Or it might have the upstream sources
too, but most likely not contain the full upstream history, just
those things that are uploaded to Debian.

Typically the "debian" dir is not maintained upstream, but in it's
own repository like the one in collab-maint. You seem to have a
different workflow. And the Vcs-* fields you added will not result
in people getting what they expect to find.

(I don't know if I explained myself good, but I hope you
understand what I mean.)

Kurt

···

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:21:06PM +0300, Damian Minkov wrote:

Hi,

it is the upstream which contains the debian packaging. We commit
everything in resources/install/debian.
What's the point of this field if its not the upstream? What should we
put there?
I saw there is a bug report about missing vcs fields and I've added
them with values pointing to the repository containing the sources we
are currently packaging.


#6

Hi,

Hi,

it is the upstream which contains the debian packaging. We commit
everything in resources/install/debian.
What's the point of this field if its not the upstream? What should we
put there?
I saw there is a bug report about missing vcs fields and I've added
them with values pointing to the repository containing the sources we
are currently packaging.

It seems to contain instruction on how to generate the source
package from that repository, including having to do a few git
clone / svn checkouts. The Vcs-* fields should point to the
sources like it's in Debian so that people working on
Debian can make changes to it. This means among other things
that there is a "debian" directory, instead of a
resources/install/debian. The full sources shouldn't even be
there, it could be that the upstream sources are gotten from
the .orig.tar.gz file. Or it might have the upstream sources
too, but most likely not contain the full upstream history, just
those things that are uploaded to Debian.

Typically the "debian" dir is not maintained upstream, but in it's
own repository like the one in collab-maint. You seem to have a
different workflow. And the Vcs-* fields you added will not result
in people getting what they expect to find.

(I don't know if I explained myself good, but I hope you
understand what I mean.)

Thanks for clearing it. Are these values correct:

+Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/collab-maint/jitsi.git
+Vcs-Browser: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/jitsi.git

Should we commit there or it is automatically imported? Do we have
access there? How can we update with current version or it is updated
after the package is accepted into Debian repo?

Thanks
damencho

···

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:21:06PM +0300, Damian Minkov wrote:

Kurt


#7

Hi,

Hi,

Hi,

it is the upstream which contains the debian packaging. We commit
everything in resources/install/debian.
What's the point of this field if its not the upstream? What should we
put there?
I saw there is a bug report about missing vcs fields and I've added
them with values pointing to the repository containing the sources we
are currently packaging.

It seems to contain instruction on how to generate the source
package from that repository, including having to do a few git
clone / svn checkouts. The Vcs-* fields should point to the
sources like it's in Debian so that people working on
Debian can make changes to it. This means among other things
that there is a "debian" directory, instead of a
resources/install/debian. The full sources shouldn't even be
there, it could be that the upstream sources are gotten from
the .orig.tar.gz file. Or it might have the upstream sources
too, but most likely not contain the full upstream history, just
those things that are uploaded to Debian.

Typically the "debian" dir is not maintained upstream, but in it's
own repository like the one in collab-maint. You seem to have a
different workflow. And the Vcs-* fields you added will not result
in people getting what they expect to find.

(I don't know if I explained myself good, but I hope you
understand what I mean.)

Thanks for clearing it. Are these values correct:

+Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/collab-maint/jitsi.git
+Vcs-Browser: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/jitsi.git

Should we commit there or it is automatically imported? Do we have
access there? How can we update with current version or it is updated
after the package is accepted into Debian repo?

I see that you need to be Debian developer to have write access. Also
external developers can be granted access by the developer.
But what I see is that the repository is out of sync, it is missing
the changes for 2.4.4997-1.2. As long as we have our packaging folder,
we need some sort of notifications for changes in the package so we
can merge the changes. Not sure how good is to have one more
repository to sync. Still there is a source package that can be
downloaded with apt-get source and for sure it is in sync, and people
can make changes to it.

Regards
damencho

···

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Damian Minkov <damencho@jitsi.org> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:21:06PM +0300, Damian Minkov wrote:

Thanks
damencho

Kurt