[jitsi-dev] "automatically initiate private messaging" is not honoured


#1

Hi

Even though I have "automatically initiate private messaging" enabled
in my client's OTR settings, and I'm chatting with someone who is also
using Jitsi over XMPP, private messaging is _not_ initiated until one
of us clicks on the lock icon.

Expected behaviour: When I bring up a chat window, or send a message
to a contact that supports OTR, a private conversation should
automatically start.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding the option?

Tested with build 4099, remote end is a couple of builds back, v1.0 in
worst case.

Alex


#2

<snip>

Expected behaviour: When I bring up a chat window, or send a message
to a contact that supports OTR, a private conversation should
automatically start.

<snip>

Can someone please confirm, as this seems like a serious privacy issue?

I have observed users chatting over Jitsi with the lock icon "open" -
i.e. not using OTR - when both are using Jitsi and at least one of
them has the "automatically initiate private chat" option set.

Alex

···

On 5 July 2012 22:00, Alexandros Papadopoulos <alexandros.papadopoulos@member.fsf.org> wrote:


#3

Hey Alex,

Hi

Even though I have "automatically initiate private messaging" enabled
in my client's OTR settings, and I'm chatting with someone who is also
using Jitsi over XMPP, private messaging is _not_ initiated until one
of us clicks on the lock icon.

Expected behaviour: When I bring up a chat window, or send a message
to a contact that supports OTR, a private conversation should
automatically start.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding the option?

Sounds like a bug. Could you please open an issue? Can't promise you an
ETA unfortunately.

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 06.07.12, 00:00, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:

Tested with build 4099, remote end is a couple of builds back, v1.0 in
worst case.

Alex


#4

Fwiw, works correctly in 1.0 for me.

···

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:52:21 +0000 Alexandros Papadopoulos <alexandros.papadopoulos@member.fsf.org> wrote:

Can someone please confirm, as this seems like a serious privacy
issue?

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475


#5

I can confirm that, however it seems not to be related directly to Jitsi but to the original OTR functionality. There has been a post at the cyberpunks forum some time ago about this matter.
MS

···

Alexandros Papadopoulos <alexandros.papadopoulos@member.fsf.org> wrote:

On 5 July 2012 22:00, Alexandros Papadopoulos ><alexandros.papadopoulos@member.fsf.org> wrote:
<snip>

Expected behaviour: When I bring up a chat window, or send a message
to a contact that supports OTR, a private conversation should
automatically start.

<snip>

Can someone please confirm, as this seems like a serious privacy issue?

I have observed users chatting over Jitsi with the lock icon "open" -
i.e. not using OTR - when both are using Jitsi and at least one of
them has the "automatically initiate private chat" option set.

Alex

--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.