[jitsi-dev] About the new interface

Hello,

I just noticed the new interface.
I run Jitsi on Debian Wheezy 32-bit with xfce 4.10, default OpenJDK, nvidia video cards+nvidia driver.

Some observations:

-The input box reads: "r name or number"
-With xfce, the UI buttons that have text on them are not skinned (they look like standard java buttons - this includes the menu items too). Additionally, the fonts might differ from what is shown for example under Gnome. (This was always like this in Xfce, maybe now with all these changes you guys have a look at this - btw, Debian has Xfce as default for Wheezy...)
-The tray icon looks oversaturated (see attachment).
-The main window (contact list) header background color seems a bit too bright (see attachment).

But all in all it looks better than the previous one.

I like the new call window, maybe the record icon needs some work to make it more easy to guess what it means without having to hover the thick circle.

PS. The icons... Why is everyone wants to go back to black and white? Our displays can show millions of colors...
Seriously, while they look good from technical/aesthetical point of view (really, they do have a professional look, look better than the previous ones), i like better them if they are colored. Just a personal opinion.

Hi Kertesz,

Thanks for testing!

Hello,

I run Jitsi on Debian Wheezy 32-bit with xfce 4.10, default OpenJDK, nvidia video cards+nvidia driver.

Some observations:

We'll have a look.

-With xfce, the UI buttons that have text on them are not skinned (they look like standard java buttons - this includes the menu items too). Additionally, the fonts might differ from what is shown for example under Gnome. (This was always like this in Xfce, maybe now with all these changes you guys have a look at this - btw, Debian has Xfce as default for Wheezy...)

Could you please send a screenshot for this one too?

-The main window (contact list) header background color seems a bit too bright (see attachment).

We'll take these into account.

Glad you like it.

I like the new call window, maybe the record icon needs some work to make it more easy to guess what it means without having to hover the thick circle.

Ok, noted.

PS. The icons... Why is everyone wants to go back to black and white? Our displays can show millions of colors...
Seriously, while they look good from technical/aesthetical point of view (really, they do have a professional look, look better than the previous ones), i like better them if they are colored. Just a personal opinion.

Well, IMO monochrome icons are more easily designed and hence the interface is more easily supported. Anytime someone wants to add a new feature that includes user interface we have a very simple design constraints and can easily keep a uniform user interface or so we hope :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Sep 23, 2012, at 11:06 PM, Kertesz Laszlo wrote:

<jitsicolors.png>

Yana Stamcheva wrote:

Hi Kertesz,

Thanks for testing!

Hello,

Some observations:

We'll have a look.

It seems that the whole text reads "Enter name or number", but:
-when i start Jitsi i see the first part of it- "Enter name or nu" and if i click on it once then click on something else, it will be the second part (interesting, it seems to display a bit differently on different resolutions) -
-"r name or number" on my laptop (1440x900, 121 dpi resolution)
-"name or number" on my desktop (1280x1024, 96dpi resolution)

So the whole text is there but does not fit in the box horizontally. There is a lot of empty space on the right in the box, although im not sure the text would fit in it entirely with these fonts i have.

Here you go. Notice the standard Java UI elements - scrollbar, check boxes, drop down lists, buttons (that have text). When i ran Jitsi on Gnome, everything was skinned if i remember correctly.

···

Glad you like it.

Ok, noted.

Well, IMO monochrome icons are more easily designed and hence the interface is more easily supported. Anytime someone wants to add a new feature that includes user interface we have a very simple design constraints and can easily keep a uniform user interface or so we hope :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Yana

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

I had the opportunity to further test the new interface and found further issues:

-if the other side has a smaller video format (im my case 352x288) right from the start (video call), the call window is the size of the video+some padding, but the rightmost (end call) and leftmost(info) buttons are not visible, only if you resize the window manually.
Actually the call window starts fine until the video content shows up and downscales the window.
-hovering the buttons in the call interface sometimes leaves them "lit up" after the cursor left.
-hovering the new style buttons in the user list is not really visible, only a partial top/left/right/bottom line is shown (the rounded corners have no such contour, only where the line is straight), no other effect is visible (such as brighter colors etc).
-sometimes if im in a video call and repeatedly toggle my cam, in the call window some empty grey squares appear, beside the actual video, the same size - at the same time the video is downscaled and the window scales vertically really large. After some time (a few sec),it comes around only if i resize the window manually. This issue is older, probably does not have to do with the new look.(screenshot)

···

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

Hi Kertesz,

Thanks for the screenshots and the detailed explanations!

I don't remember changing any fonts and look and feel settings this time and it would help me a lot if you could check if you experience the same problems with the last version of the previous interface (i.e. the last nightly build, as we don't yet have a build with the new interface). If you could make the same screenshots with it, it would be great.

Thanks!
Yana

···

On Sep 24, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Kertesz Laszlo wrote:

Yana Stamcheva wrote:

Hi Kertesz,

Thanks for testing!

Hello,

Some observations:

We'll have a look.

-when i start Jitsi i see the first part of it- "Enter name or nu" and if i click on it once then click on something else, it will be the second part (interesting, it seems to display a bit differently on different resolutions) -

So the whole text is there but does not fit in the box horizontally. There is a lot of empty space on the right in the box, although im not sure the text would fit in it entirely with these fonts i have.

Here you go. Notice the standard Java UI elements - scrollbar, check boxes, drop down lists, buttons (that have text). When i ran Jitsi on Gnome, everything was skinned if i remember correctly.

Glad you like it.

Ok, noted.

Cheers,
Yana

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo
<jitsi-accounts.png><jitsi-options.png>

Old jitsi interface part1.

···

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

part1

···

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

Dear Yana, dear All,
congrats for the new interface, looks very nice!

I have a little feature request:
would it be possible to show the OTR padlock in color?

it is currently quite hard to distinguish the opened vs. closed padlock
(because of the shape), if you dont look really carefully...

May I suggest to show:
closed green padlock for secure and verified OTR chat
closed orange padlock for secured and not-verified OTR chat
opened red padlock for unsecure chat

this would be similar to the zRTP padlock in calls and convenient for
the user

kind regards, thanks again for the good work!
Mr. Smith

···

On 9/24/12 10:10 AM, Yana Stamcheva wrote:

Hi Kertesz,

Thanks for the screenshots and the detailed explanations!

I don't remember changing any fonts and look and feel settings this time and it would help me a lot if you could check if you experience the same problems with the last version of the previous interface (i.e. the last nightly build, as we don't yet have a build with the new interface). If you could make the same screenshots with it, it would be great.

Thanks!
Yana

On Sep 24, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Kertesz Laszlo wrote:

Yana Stamcheva wrote:

Hi Kertesz,

Thanks for testing!

Hello,

Some observations:

We'll have a look.

Glad you like it.

Ok, noted.

Cheers,
Yana

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo
<jitsi-accounts.png><jitsi-options.png>

Hi!
I like the new interface, good work!

Il 24/09/2012 08:48, Kertesz Laszlo wrote:

[...]

I have other details on this issue. If I enlarge the window I can see the entire text. With narrower window the part of the text field not used has the same size as the part used for the two buttons (call and cancel) used when something is written on the field.
Maybe that part is keep reserved for the buttons even if nothing is written on the field (and buttons are hidden).

Regards,
Daniel Z.

Hi Kertesz,

This should be fixed in the last build (4232).

Thanks for reporting!

Yana

part2

···

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

Hi Daniel,

Hi!
I like the new interface, good work!

Il 24/09/2012 08:48, Kertesz Laszlo wrote:

[...]

I have other details on this issue. If I enlarge the window I can see the entire text. With narrower window the part of the text field not used has the same size as the part used for the two buttons (call and cancel) used when something is written on the field.
Maybe that part is keep reserved for the buttons even if nothing is written on the field (and buttons are hidden).

This should be fixed in the last build.

Thanks!
Yana

···

On Sep 27, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Daniel Zucchetto wrote:

Regards,
Daniel Z.